Page 131 of 167 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141 ... LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,275 of 4165

Thread: NC OC experience reports

  1. #3251
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Greenville, South Carolina
    Posts
    8

    Wink All Over the State and a Moms Demand Run-in In Charlotte

    Well, I traveled from Greenville to RDU this weekend for church business; we had a called meeting of our presbytery in Raleigh this weekend, and since I never get to OC in South Carolina, I took the opportunity to OC every waking moment while in the great Tar Heel state. I open carried all over Raleigh and Durham with nary a sideways glance, including several restaurants and gas stations. I had a great interaction with two folks at the Comfort Inn on Glenwood Avenue. One employee (a young, nominally Muslim Pakistani gentleman) was interested in learning more about open carry, which morphed into a good conversation in which I was able to share the gospel with him. I also had a good interaction with a fellow guest at the hotel, and was able to point her toward OCDO. All in all, my stay in Durham was very pleasant, not least of which was due to the pleasant interactions with the folks there.

    However, I had a very ironic interaction while passing through Charlotte:

    I made it a point to stop and meet my parents for lunch in Pineville while I was passing through town, and after I left, I stopped at the QT on Woodlawn Road (right off I-77 where Woodlawn turns into Billy Graham Parkway) to gas up the Blue Bullet. This QT is in a somewhat sketchy part of town, so I was already on high alert when I pulled up to the pump. About the time I got the Bullet in park, I noticed three young men walking through the islands towards the store. One of the three was a younger white guy (about 6'1", 175 lbs, and all tatted up) was shirtless, loud, high as a Georgia pine, and clearly acting aggressively. I took note of him, and strolled inside to pre-pay for my gas. Lo and behold, when I got inside, some yuppie soccer Mom type wear a "Moms Demand Action" t-shirt spotted me and the sidearm on my hip and immediately started ranting about how I was dangerous and scary, that my big, bad SigSauer made her nervous, how did she know I wasn't going to shoot everybody in the joint, etc. I did my best to ignore her, hit the latrine, and came back out and paid for my gas.

    While I was walking to the door, I noticed the doped up potential troublemaker was waving his arms around, beating on his chest and flinching at people like he was going to throw a punch while yelling, "I'ma f* you up! Y'all don't want none!" and so on.

    I walked out the door to head to the car, and when I did, the Mom's Demand nutjob approached from my right and quietly asked, "Would you walk me to my car?"

    My response: "I'm sure that loud mouth of yours will keep you safe."

    The shocked look on her face was completely worth it.

    OC: 1. Moms Demand: 0.

  2. #3252
    Regular Member Jamesm760's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Salisbury, NC
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Covenanter View Post
    ...I walked out the door to head to the car, and when I did, the Mom's Demand nutjob approached from my right and quietly asked, "Would you walk me to my car?"

    My response: "I'm sure that loud mouth of yours will keep you safe."

    The shocked look on her face was completely worth it.

    OC: 1. Moms Demand: 0.
    LOL! Thanks for sharing the experience... though this is one of those devil/angel on your shoulder type encounters... Although she was MDA, maybe choosing the angel route would have made a better impact MAYBE**** (we all know somepeople can't have open minds). I personally would have walked her to her vehicle and told her to have a nice day.
    SIC VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

    μολὼν λαβέ - molṑn labé - ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - COME AND TAKE!!!!

  3. #3253
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dandridge, TN
    Posts
    325
    Well, that's not very Christianly of you. LOL. Priceless. I would have said "only if you apologize and post this incident on your mda facebook page" Why didn't the clerk at the store call the cops for a disorderly person complaint. Dick heads in your parking lot are not good for business.

  4. #3254
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Greenville, South Carolina
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken56 View Post
    Well, that's not very Christianly of you. LOL. Priceless. I would have said "only if you apologize and post this incident on your mda facebook page" Why didn't the clerk at the store call the cops for a disorderly person complaint. Dick heads in your parking lot are not good for business.
    I believe someone did ask the clerk to call the CMPD, however, I was too busy walking to my car to notice if he did or didn't.

    And I didn't walk her to the car because it would have been my luck that someone who had heard her ranting at me inside the store would have called the cops to tell them that some mean man with a gun was harassing a lady in the parking lot, too.

    Honestly, it was a judgment call on my part. Better to let her take care of herself.

  5. #3255
    Regular Member SovereignAxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Elizabethton, TN
    Posts
    799
    I can totally understand the choice to leave the woman to her devices. If she thinks the absence of guns will make her safe, she should lie in the bed that she has made. But I'd like to think I would have still chosen the angel.

    But before doing so I would have said, "I thought I was dangerous and scary. How do you know I'm not just going to shoot up the joint?" Using her own words against her.

    And then when she's done giving whatever response to that, I'd point out the irony and hypocrisy of the situation, and probably ask her if she's going to share this story with her friends.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

    EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

  6. #3256
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Covenanter View Post
    ...I walked out the door to head to the car, and when I did, the Mom's Demand nutjob approached from my right and quietly asked, "Would you walk me to my car?"

    My response: "I'm sure that loud mouth of yours will keep you safe."...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesm760 View Post
    LOL! Thanks for sharing the experience... though this is one of those devil/angel on your shoulder type encounters... Although she was MDA, maybe choosing the angel route would have made a better impact MAYBE**** (we all know somepeople can't have open minds). I personally would have walked her to her vehicle and told her to have a nice day.
    If he had done so, and had recorded it, that would have gone viral, I'm sure. :P

  7. #3257
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,614
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Covenanter View Post
    SNIP...I walked out the door to head to the car, and when I did, the Mom's Demand nutjob approached from my right and quietly asked, "Would you walk me to my car?"

    My response: "I'm sure that loud mouth of yours will keep you safe."

    The shocked look on her face was completely worth it.

    OC: 1. Moms Demand: 0.
    How could you NOT be recording at a time like that!
    The video would have been beyond hilarious and would have been a great wake-up call to those still on the fence.

    Great interaction, regardless.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  8. #3258
    Regular Member CDT COX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Covenanter View Post
    However, I had a very ironic interaction while passing through Charlotte:

    I made it a point to stop and meet my parents for lunch in Pineville while I was passing through town, and after I left, I stopped at the QT on Woodlawn Road (right off I-77 where Woodlawn turns into Billy Graham Parkway) to gas up the Blue Bullet. This QT is in a somewhat sketchy part of town, so I was already on high alert when I pulled up to the pump. About the time I got the Bullet in park, I noticed three young men walking through the islands towards the store. One of the three was a younger white guy (about 6'1", 175 lbs, and all tatted up) was shirtless, loud, high as a Georgia pine, and clearly acting aggressively. I took note of him, and strolled inside to pre-pay for my gas. Lo and behold, when I got inside, some yuppie soccer Mom type wear a "Moms Demand Action" t-shirt spotted me and the sidearm on my hip and immediately started ranting about how I was dangerous and scary, that my big, bad SigSauer made her nervous, how did she know I wasn't going to shoot everybody in the joint, etc. I did my best to ignore her, hit the latrine, and came back out and paid for my gas.

    While I was walking to the door, I noticed the doped up potential troublemaker was waving his arms around, beating on his chest and flinching at people like he was going to throw a punch while yelling, "I'ma f* you up! Y'all don't want none!" and so on.

    I walked out the door to head to the car, and when I did, the Mom's Demand nutjob approached from my right and quietly asked, "Would you walk me to my car?"

    My response: "I'm sure that loud mouth of yours will keep you safe."


    The shocked look on her face was completely worth it.

    OC: 1. Moms Demand: 0.
    *mic drop*

  9. #3259
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    4,665
    raising my hand to ask a question...

    don't any of you think it is just a bit strange that someone, completely out of the blue, who has never previously posted nary a word on this forum, posts a semi controversial conversation about an encounter in small town NC where the 'good' proselytizing christian (as they ensured to tell us several times) gets accosted by an apparent rabid anti, who then asks the poster for some semblance of protection or escort to their vehicle thus providing a small piece of mind against a wandering nut job.

    But the 'good' christian says no to said request for aid thus exhibiting very non christian behaviour as well as a complete lack of consideration towards another citizen who requested their assistance from a very real weirdo, who could very easily caused potential injury to the woman.

    yet, you all from different areas of the country laugh, applaud, state the encounter should be put on social media, and slap the 'drive by poster' on the back saying ~ good job in showing the anti how hypocritical they were in their initial statements.

    sorry, perhaps i misunderstood why we carry openly: personal `SD', citizen firearm education (includes anti) , and to set an exemplar example (to anti), etc.

    what a huge disappointment, especially in those posters from across the country who posted accolades to this christian newbie on his exhibited rude behaviour...since we are not on a closed forum, coupled with the anti now having their own story to tell all their anti friends about the rude behaviour from someone who carried and ignored a request for protection, i am sure it already is out on al gore's invention flying through the ether to everyone.

    good job everyone multiple opportunities to excel and we stepped in it!!

    ipse
    Last edited by solus; 10-20-2014 at 01:33 PM.
    I think the world has gone so crazy that in the event of a zombie apocalypse, there will be zombie rights activists...(internet rambling)

    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. ~John F. Kennedy

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  10. #3260
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,614
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    raising my hand to ask a question...
    SNIP...
    sorry, perhaps i misunderstood why we carry openly: personal `SD', citizen firearm education (includes anti) , and to set an exemplar example (to anti), etc.

    what a huge disappointment, especially in those posters from across the country who posted accolades to this christian newbie on his exhibited rude behaviour...since we are not on a closed forum, coupled with the anti now having their own story to tell all their anti friends about the rude behaviour from someone who carried and ignored a request for protection, i am sure it already is out on al gore's invention flying through the ether to everyone.

    good job everyone multiple opportunities to excel and we stepped in it!!

    ipse
    Speak for yourself. I carry for self defense, which includes protecting my loved ones (family and friends) and possibly children (the only innocent humans, IMO).

    I've had a few disagreements with other members here and some people I've spoken to, but I have decided I will NOT put my neck on the line for someone who had the same opportunity I did to arm themselves to protect that which cannot be replaced by any amount of money; I did without a few commodities for a number of months in order to save up for my 1911, and I am sure that most people I'd encounter would have had the same opportunity to sacrifice some of the commodities they enjoy in order to buy something that could preserve their ability to continue enjoying said commodities into the future.
    If others are inclined to do so, I suppose they could exchange protection for monetary compensation, but that is not what we are discussing here.

    If someone is made a little safer by my VISIBLE sidearm, that may be a bonus to them but is NOT my intended purpose. I carry my sidearm for self defense; desensitizing and education of the masses are secondary and tertiary reasons (respectively). Anything else beyond that is unintended.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 10-20-2014 at 02:13 PM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  11. #3261
    Regular Member SovereignAxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Elizabethton, TN
    Posts
    799
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    raising my hand to ask a question...

    don't any of you think it is just a bit strange that someone, completely out of the blue, who has never previously posted nary a word on this forum, posts a semi controversial conversation about an encounter in small town NC where the 'good' proselytizing christian (as they ensured to tell us several times) gets accosted by an apparent rabid anti, who then asks the poster for some semblance of protection or escort to their vehicle thus providing a small piece of mind against a wandering nut job.

    But the 'good' christian says no to said request for aid thus exhibiting very non christian behaviour as well as a complete lack of consideration towards another citizen who requested their assistance from a very real weirdo, who could very easily caused potential injury to the woman.
    I'm not a Christian, and therefore don't get my morals from religion (however, I was one that understood why, but said I would have helped the woman, myself), so I didn't think much of it. But now that you mention it, it does seem awfully un-Christian-like.

    But I live in the bible belt and have seen a lot of Christians do a lot of un-Christian-like things, so nothing really surprises me.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

    EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

  12. #3262
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    11,478
    Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    I'm not a Christian, and therefore don't get my morals from religion (however, I was one that understood why, but said I would have helped the woman, myself), so I didn't think much of it. But now that you mention it, it does seem awfully un-Christian-like.

    But I live in the bible belt and have seen a lot of Christians do a lot of un-Christian-like things, so nothing really surprises me.
    I try to do un-christian-like things every night, emphasis is on try. But then I am a dirty old man...
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus
    "Well.... If you take my hat. Decide to wear my hat. Its in your possession ."

    "I call popo say "he has my hat i left it at his house". They go talk to you. You say its yours. Sounds like a civil court matter."

    "Now I instead say he robbed me... Well popo done go and cuff you up I keep hat or it goes to evidence...you go to court I testify you done did rob me. You now have to prove you didn't...."

  13. #3263
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Greenville, South Carolina
    Posts
    8

    Maybe We Should Get a Few Things Straight

    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    raising my hand to ask a question...

    don't any of you think it is just a bit strange that someone, completely out of the blue, who has never previously posted nary a word on this forum, posts a semi controversial conversation about an encounter in small town NC where the 'good' proselytizing christian (as they ensured to tell us several times) gets accosted by an apparent rabid anti, who then asks the poster for some semblance of protection or escort to their vehicle thus providing a small piece of mind against a wandering nut job.

    But the 'good' christian says no to said request for aid thus exhibiting very non christian behaviour as well as a complete lack of consideration towards another citizen who requested their assistance from a very real weirdo, who could very easily caused potential injury to the woman.

    yet, you all from different areas of the country laugh, applaud, state the encounter should be put on social media, and slap the 'drive by poster' on the back saying ~ good job in showing the anti how hypocritical they were in their initial statements.

    sorry, perhaps i misunderstood why we carry openly: personal `SD', citizen firearm education (includes anti) , and to set an exemplar example (to anti), etc.

    what a huge disappointment, especially in those posters from across the country who posted accolades to this christian newbie on his exhibited rude behaviour...since we are not on a closed forum, coupled with the anti now having their own story to tell all their anti friends about the rude behaviour from someone who carried and ignored a request for protection, i am sure it already is out on al gore's invention flying through the ether to everyone.

    good job everyone multiple opportunities to excel and we stepped in it!!

    ipse
    To get directly to the point, I have in fact posted in this forum previously: my initial post (with a single reply) are in this very thread. Furthermore, I chose to respond as I did for the reasons stated above; the lady in question had already made it perfectly clear how she felt about firearms and she had done so in front of the cashier at the QT. Let's assume for a moment that all he sees is me walking across the parking lot with the woman in question. What is he to think? Am I being kind and helpful? Am I a man carrying a gun harassing the sweet, innocent soccer mom? He can't tell, but based on the previous interaction, I was concerned for myself that it would perceived as harassment. I didn't assist her for that reason. And let's be clear that this isn't in some "small NC town," it was at a gas station on Woodlawn Road, right off of I-77 North in Charlotte, a city with a population of around 800,000. But on the other hand, I pretty sure I already mentioned that in my post above.

    Am I a bad Christian because I refused to help? Well, that's between Christ and myself—and given Christ's admonition for his people to be "as wise as serpents and as innocent as doves," I think I made the right call.

    That being said, I could have handled it differently. I could have escorted her to her car, and told he politely to have a nice day. But would you put yourself at risk for to be on the receiving end of a MWAG call?

  14. #3264
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    4,665
    I'm sorry Rusty, et al., did I miss the part in the newbie's conversation where there was any need to pull their firearm to protect themselves from some allegedly substance abusing person who is wandering about and shouting at mythical delusions?

    so perhaps you missed the order in my post for carrying, SD was listed first! again, since there was no mention of immediate need to pull a firearm for defence, you are projecting. I note interestingly, you listed similar opportunities later in your post!

    however, the opportunity to take a moment out to walk a woman out to their vehicle in the parking lot so their peace of mind is maintained and enhanced is priceless. That this is the same individual who was ranting at you for your firearm minutes before is just being the better individual and could, just could have opened a viable dialogue over topics that you mentioned, thus to show another perspective to this individual and leave a sweet memory instead of a bitter memory which could be shared to all who will listen.

    I am sorry you and others from around the country disagree, however , my point stands...the opportunity presented itself to show who the better group is...

    yet you and others fail to see that !!!

    ipse
    Last edited by solus; 10-20-2014 at 06:06 PM.
    I think the world has gone so crazy that in the event of a zombie apocalypse, there will be zombie rights activists...(internet rambling)

    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. ~John F. Kennedy

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  15. #3265
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    4,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Covenanter View Post
    To get directly to the point, I have in fact posted in this forum previously: my initial post (with a single reply) are in this very thread. Furthermore, I chose to respond as I did for the reasons stated above; the lady in question had already made it perfectly clear how she felt about firearms and she had done so in front of the cashier at the QT. Let's assume for a moment that all he sees is me walking across the parking lot with the woman in question. What is he to think? Am I being kind and helpful? Am I a man carrying a gun harassing the sweet, innocent soccer mom? He can't tell, but based on the previous interaction, I was concerned for myself that it would perceived as harassment. I didn't assist her for that reason. And let's be clear that this isn't in some "small NC town," it was at a gas station on Woodlawn Road, right off of I-77 North in Charlotte, a city with a population of around 800,000. But on the other hand, I pretty sure I already mentioned that in my post above.

    Am I a bad Christian because I refused to help? Well, that's between Christ and myself—and given Christ's admonition for his people to be "as wise as serpents and as innocent as doves," I think I made the right call.

    That being said, I could have handled it differently. I could have escorted her to her car, and told he politely to have a nice day. But would you put yourself at risk for to be on the receiving end of a MWAG call?
    I'm sorry, I misspoke, you had posted two posts prior to posting this latest crisis you recounted.

    and you are projecting with 'what ifs' and now trying to justify something that wasn't ...

    I certainly hope that is whom you have to justify yourself to....

    if you had been lurking for the last year you would know the MWAG in NC is again your feeble projection to justify...find out what our laws are and get over your projection of the sky is falling when you OC, if not just CC and call it a day.

    ipse
    I think the world has gone so crazy that in the event of a zombie apocalypse, there will be zombie rights activists...(internet rambling)

    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. ~John F. Kennedy

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  16. #3266
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,614
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    I'm sorry Rusty, et al., did I miss the part in the newbie's conversation where there was any need to pull their firearm to protect themselves from some allegedly substance abusing person who is wandering about and shouting at mythical delusions?

    so perhaps you missed the order in my post for carrying, SD was listed first! again, since there was no mention of immediate need to pull a firearm for defence, you are projecting. I note interestingly, you listed similar opportunities later in your post!
    And I missed the part in my post or the others where it was suggested the drawing of his firearm was imminent.
    I stated that I wouldn't put my neck on the line, which includes the legal ramifications one may expect, as well as the possibility of being further mischaracterized by the person you intended to help (though Southern Covenanter goes more in depth regarding his encounter and the possible outcomes).

    Perhaps it was a Freudian slip on your part, seeing as I never mentioned Southern Covenanter needing to or having to place his hand on his grip, much less draw his sidearm. The only "opportunity" I mentioned (besides children, who I would define as those who are ~10 years old and younger, thus having little say in being legally armed for self preservation) was in the instance of those who may carry a sidearm to work in the capacity of a personal bodyguard, and I thought I'd made it clear that such an example, while a valid example of carry to protect others, did not apply to the event we are discussing.

    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    however, the opportunity to take a moment out to walk a woman out to their vehicle in the parking lot so their peace of mind is maintained and enhanced is priceless. That this is the same individual who was ranting at you for your firearm minutes before is just being the better individual and could, just could have opened a viable dialogue over topics that you mentioned, thus to show another perspective to this individual and leave a sweet memory instead of a bitter memory which could be shared to all who will listen.

    I am sorry you and others from around the country disagree, however , my point stands...the opportunity presented itself to show who the better group is...

    yet you and others fail to see that !!!

    ipse
    He may have been less than courteous to the MAD mom, yet I fail to understand how his placing himself in legal jeopardy (MAD moms have been known to embellish the outright lies they spew) would have helped him or OC.
    Had this been a simple case of a passerby mentioning that guns scared them I could see a benefit in rendering aid, but this was someone who made a very public ruckus about his OCed sidearm, something which alone could have resulted in a fatal tragedy.
    I am not opposed to helping those who request it, I am simply not willing to help those who've made clear they would take measures to see me killed.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 10-20-2014 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Clarification
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  17. #3267
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Greenville, South Carolina
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    I'm sorry, I misspoke, you had posted two posts prior to posting this latest crisis you recounted.

    and you are projecting with 'what ifs' and now trying to justify something that wasn't ...

    I certainly hope that is whom you have to justify yourself to....

    if you had been lurking for the last year you would know the MWAG in NC is again your feeble projection to justify...find out what our laws are and get over your projection of the sky is falling when you OC, if not just CC and call it a day.

    ipse
    I did not and have not referred to this as a "crisis." That's your term for it; mine was that the interaction was ironic.

    Without knowing if you have any sort of professional training in psychology or a related field such as psychiatry, I'll give your diagnosis of projection exactly the amount of consideration it deserves.

    I am well aware of the laws in North Carolina regarding Open Carry; I am also aware of the fact that Rodney Moore, the current CMPD police chief, was once in an executive leadership role on the Washington D.C. Police force and that he's told his officers to harass those whom are open carrying inside the I-277 loop, effectively turning that area into a "no Open Carry zone." This is no "feeble projection," but rather the state of affairs in the city of Charlotte. Given that reality, I have more than ample reason to be wary of interacting with a CMPD officer, inside the I-277 loop or not.

  18. #3268
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    4,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Covenanter View Post
    I did not and have not referred to this as a "crisis." That's your term for it; mine was that the interaction was ironic.

    Without knowing if you have any sort of professional training in psychology or a related field such as psychiatry, I'll give your diagnosis of projection exactly the amount of consideration it deserves.

    I am well aware of the laws in North Carolina regarding Open Carry; I am also aware of the fact that Rodney Moore, the current CMPD police chief, was once in an executive leadership role on the Washington D.C. Police force and that he's told his officers to harass those whom are open carrying inside the I-277 loop, effectively turning that area into a "no Open Carry zone." This is no "feeble projection," but rather the state of affairs in the city of Charlotte. Given that reality, I have more than ample reason to be wary of interacting with a CMPD officer, inside the I-277 loop or not.
    as a self proclaimed lurker for 'over a year and a half, you have a cite for this hearsay ?

    ipse
    I think the world has gone so crazy that in the event of a zombie apocalypse, there will be zombie rights activists...(internet rambling)

    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. ~John F. Kennedy

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  19. #3269
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Greenville, South Carolina
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    as a self proclaimed lurker for 'over a year and a half, you have a cite for this hearsay ?

    ipse
    I didn't get that information here at OCDO; I got it directly from an officer in the CMPD Central Division.

  20. #3270
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    4,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    And I missed the part in my post or the others where it was suggested the drawing of his firearm was imminent.
    I stated that I wouldn't put my neck on the line, which includes the legal ramifications one may expect, as well as the possibility of being further mischaracterized by the person you intended to help (though Southern Covenanter goes more in depth regarding his encounter and the possible outcomes).

    Perhaps it was a Freudian slip on your part, seeing as I never mentioned Southern Covenanter needing to or having to place his hand on his grip, much less draw his sidearm. The only "opportunity" I mentioned (besides children, who I would define as those who are ~10 years old and younger, thus having little say in being legally armed for self preservation) was in the instance of those who may carry a sidearm to work in the capacity of a personal bodyguard, and I thought I'd made it clear that such an example, while a valid example of carry to protect others, did not apply to the event we are discussing.

    He may have been less than courteous to the MAD mom, yet I fail to understand how his placing himself in legal jeopardy (MAD moms have been known to embellish the outright lies they spew) would have helped him or OC.
    Had this been a simple case of a passerby mentioning that guns scared them I could see a benefit in rendering aid, but this was someone who made a very public ruckus about his OCed sidearm, something which alone could have resulted in a fatal tragedy.
    I am not opposed to helping those who request it, I am simply not willing to help those who've made clear they would take measures to see me killed.
    i'm sorry do you have a cite for what legal (NC, BTW) jeopardy southern was putting himself in?

    and as you apparently stereotype all antis into one huge baileywick, could you provide some type of unemotional evidence when have they taken measures to see you killed? is there a contract out for you by bloomberg?

    since everyone from across the nation is projecting , please allow me to project for a moment...southern fails to 'escort' the nice woman to her car, ranting man does her bodily harm, and nice woman from her hospital bed tells her story, near and far, to anybody who listens of how the OC'g gentleman failed to honour her request for an escort when she asked...convenience store cams back up hospitalized woman's story....how's that for a projection and ammunition for bloomberg's cause...!

    ipse
    I think the world has gone so crazy that in the event of a zombie apocalypse, there will be zombie rights activists...(internet rambling)

    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. ~John F. Kennedy

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  21. #3271
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    4,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Covenanter View Post
    I didn't get that information here at OCDO; I got it directly from an officer in the CMPD Central Division.
    never stated you got your rumor out at OCDO...

    as a born again lurker, you should should have read the postings and know unequivocally LE(s) will lie to your face because they themselves do not know the facts or statutes so misinformation is passed along as gospel and you have just furthered that rumor and myth on a public forum!!

    so, as you succinctly put it earlier, quote: To get directly to the point unquote, your recent statement is exactly what i perceived it was...misstatements, hearsay, and not based on any cite or fact?

    ipse
    I think the world has gone so crazy that in the event of a zombie apocalypse, there will be zombie rights activists...(internet rambling)

    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. ~John F. Kennedy

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  22. #3272
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Greenville, South Carolina
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    never stated you got your rumor out at OCDO...

    as a born again lurker, you should should have read the postings and know unequivocally LE(s) will lie to your face because they themselves do not know the facts or statutes so misinformation is passed along as gospel and you have just furthered that rumor and myth on a public forum!!

    so, as you succinctly put it earlier, quote: To get directly to the point unquote, your recent statement is exactly what i perceived it was...misstatements, hearsay, and not based on any cite or fact?

    ipse
    I am perfectly aware of the propensity that some LEO's have for intentionally lying to folks about the status of open carry, or unintentionally passing along bad information. However, the officer in question is also a ruling elder in my denomination, and I have absolutely zero reason to believe he's misleading me on this. If you have evidence to the contrary, please produce it so that I can confront him directly and have the session of his church deal with him in hopes of bringing him to repentance or, should he refuse, removing him from his office as an elder.
    Last edited by Southern Covenanter; 10-20-2014 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Spelling Error

  23. #3273
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Western NC
    Posts
    31

    Forced to pull, and discharge outside of Asheville.

    I wont go into all the details, but long story short. Drunk, and drugged up moron threatens me with a knife, then a gun, and advances towards me. I never saw the weapon, but his hands were behind his back the whole time. I knew I was just in taking a shot, but there were at least 30-50 onlookers standing behind him. I have a .40 Storm, and had 180g FMJ's in it that day due to working in the woods around bears. I had an overwhelming fear of over penetration, so I gave a warning shot to the ground just in front of him. He retreated like a scalded cat. So far the BCSD has been extremely positive, and supportive through all this. They said I made the right choice. I feel the same. Sadly, some of my chest pounding family seems to think I should have shot him irregardless. Sorry, but I made the right call. I carry to protect myself, my family, and those around me who may be in harms way. I am not going to jeopardize innocent folks. For the record, if he had continued then yes, I would have fired on him, but that wasn't the case. The SD did tell me he had a small knife in his front right pocket when they arrested him. I filed charges against him for communicating a threat. Just waiting on the SD to finish analyzing my weapon before they return it. All, but one officer that night supported me when the asked if I had a CCHP, and I stated "no, I OC".
    Last edited by tiggy1190; 10-21-2014 at 04:41 AM.

  24. #3274
    Regular Member Jamesm760's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Salisbury, NC
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggy1190 View Post
    I wont go into all the details, but long story short. Drunk, and drugged up moron threatens me with a knife, then a gun, and advances towards me. I never saw the weapon, but his hands were behind his back the whole time. I knew I was just in taking a shot, but there were at least 30-50 onlookers standing behind him. I have a .40 Storm, and had 180g FMJ's in it that day due to working in the woods around bears. I had an overwhelming fear of over penetration, so I gave a warning shot to the ground just in front of him. He retreated like a scalded cat. So far the BCSD has been extremely positive, and supportive through all this. They said I made the right choice. I feel the same. Sadly, some of my chest pounding family seems to think I should have shot him irregardless. Sorry, but I made the right call. I carry to protect myself, my family, and those around me who may be in harms way. I am not going to jeopardize innocent folks. For the record, if he had continued then yes, I would have fired on him, but that wasn't the case. The SD did tell me he had a small knife in his front right pocket when they arrested him. I filed charges against him for communicating a threat. Just waiting on the SD to finish analyzing my weapon before they return it. All, but one officer that night supported me when the asked if I had a CCHP, and I stated "no, I OC".
    Glad you are ok. I would say you made the right call, but that's just my opinion and everyone will have one too.
    SIC VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

    μολὼν λαβέ - molṑn labé - ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - COME AND TAKE!!!!

  25. #3275
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    2,671
    Many have said never fire a warning shot a good article on why at rare times a warning shot is acceptable.

    This seems to be one of them.



    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-.../3110404/posts


    Even a small gun can deter an attack A friend said that they had to fire their mini-revolver to convince an attacker that it was a real gun.


    Florida is moving toward a "Defensive Display" law that includes the possibility of a warning shot or shots being acceptable as a part of self defense, if no innocents are injured. Arizona passed a similar law several years ago after the aggressors in self defense situations were using the criminal justice system to have the defenders arrested on aggravated assault charges.

    In the case that I know of, the aggressors were following the defender in a "road rage" scenario. At one point, they pulled up along side of him, while traveling, and threw a beverage container at him with enough force that it cause a small cut. When he stopped at a light, boxed in by traffic, two of them got out of their vehicle and started running toward him from a couple of cars back. He held up his defensive sidearm for them to see, and they quickly stopped their aggressive actions and ran back to their vehicle. Then they called 911. He was also on the phone to 911. The police came to his house, and eventually arrested him (he thinks that it was because, under stress, he made a bad joke that offended the investigating officer). He was going to trial, when the prosecution informed the defense that there was a third 911 call that confirmed the defender's version of events. The case was dismissed, but there was tremendous stress and expense involved. The aggressors were never arrested or charged.

    With the Florida law, the most contentious issue is that of "warning shots". Here is a discussion of the issue from a retired State Patrol firearms instructor. I have edited it a little for spelling, with permission of the author:

    I think defensive display can have a place in a self defense situation.

    More then one criminal assault has been stopped when it has become know that victim is armed.

    Warning shots are a lot tougher because of the high probability of some thing bad happening.

    When I was on my Department's firearms and use of force committee, we had a long discussion on warning shots. Some were for forbidding them all together, some were for a more modest policy.

    We were trying to determine if the policy should allow or forbid them. We decided the policy should read, that they should be RARE and INFREQUENT, based on the facts at the time they were used.

    This was decided mostly on the facts of two situations where warning shots were used and the suspects were taken into custody after the warning shots without harm to the officers or suspects.

    Having read the use of force reports and interviewing the officers I truly believe without the warning shots the officers would have ended up shooting both suspects.

    It seemed clear that both of these suspects were trying to commit suicide by cop and the warning shots jarred them out of that line of thought and they surrendered because of the warning shots and not pressing forward with their attack on the officers that would have forced the officers to shoot them.

    One was armed with a baseball bat the other was not armed, but kept making threats saying he had a gun and making movements like he had a gun and was going to use it.

    Both warning shots were fired into good bullet stopping areas and there was no one else around.

    Warning shots good, bad, or other wise, I guess one would have to take the totality of the situation into account before determining if they were justified or not and safely executed.
    This summation of warning shots seems well thought out. I have always taught a policy of *not* firing warning shots, but with the caveat the every policy has exceptions. The idea that warning shots should be rare, but that each circumstance should be considered in the totality of the situation, appeals to me and to my understanding that each defensive shooting is unique.

    In most situations, it is a better resolution to a situation if it can be resolved without having to shoot someone.

    ©2013 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice is included.
    Link to Gun Watch
    Last edited by Firearms Iinstuctor; 10-21-2014 at 05:56 AM.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Page 131 of 167 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •