• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

carolina guy

Actually, I don't have a permit, I can't bring myself to ask the state for permission, and I knew it was illegal to carry where they charge admission, it didn't occur to me that a move ticket is considered admission.

How many pointless laws do we need?

This gives my wife another reason I should get a permit.

Well...granted, IANAL, but it is illegal UNLESS the owner/lessee/organizer of the "event" allows OC per:

§ 14-269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. (not yet updated with the HB937 CHP exclusion)

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
(b) This section shall not apply to the following:
(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14-269;
(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;
(3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and
(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. [FONT=Times New (W1)](1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)[/FONT]

Last edited:

FlyBoy276

Well, I knew it wouldn't do any good, but I sent the email anyway and here is their response:

Thank you for your comments concerning Carmike’s policy on the possession of firearms within our theatres. The events in Aurora, Colorado have placed a renewed emphasis on safety and emergency protocols at all of our theatre locations. Like many movie exhibitors and other retail businesses, Carmike does not allow weapons of any kind, including firearms, into our theatres, except for weapons carried by law enforcement and other security personnel. This policy was in effect prior the events in Colorado and remains our policy going forward. We know you have many options for entertainment and are glad you choose Carmike Cinemas for your movie viewing enjoyment.

Sincerely,

Thomas D. Bridgman II
Eastern Division Manager
Carmike Cinemas Inc.
PO Box 391
Columbus, GA 31902-0391

A lot of good it did that theater in Colorado, huh? :rolleyes: It's USA 'corporate policy' to ban murder, but..we know how much good that does.

ron73440

I had a good holiday weekend, my mother, who doesn't like guns came to visit. My wife was worried about mom's reaction, but I told her to be calm and mom wouldn't have a problem. They got into town Wednsday night and we took them to Moore's BBQ in New Bern(I go there a lot). We had fun, mom and my stepdad enjoyed NC BBQ for the first time.

Thanksgiving, they came to eat at our house and she noticed my pistol(I don't wear it in the house, but I do have it out) and asked why I didn't have it at dinner last night and was surprised to learn that I wore it all the time we were together.

Friday we went sight seeing at Fort Macon and being a State Park my wife looked on the web and found this: Guns and Fireworks
Firearms and other weapons are prohibited except that those with a proper permit may possess a concealed handgun in permitted areas and under the requirements of North Carolina G.S. 14-415.11. All firearms and weapons are prohibited in state park visitor centers and park offices. (EXCEPTION: Federal law (36 C.F.R. § 327.13) prohibits loaded firearms or ammunition on those lands and waters at Falls Lake, Jordan Lake and Kerr Lake state recreation areas managed by the state parks system and owned by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.)

Fireworks, cap pistols, air guns, bows and arrows, slingshots and lethal projectiles or missiles of any kind are prohibited on all properties managed by the N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation

So I left it in my truck:banghead::banghead::banghead: On the doors it had the pistol with the red line, but it said CONCEALED WEAPONS PROHIBITED I was thinking if I wore it OC then the sign doesn't apply, but I did know their rules before I decided to go so I didn't push it.

On Saturday we went to Bakers Kitchen in New Bern for breakfast and were talking and mom said "I was just going to ask why you didn't wear your gun today but then I saw it" That got us into why I carry and when she asked if it was loaded, my reply of "Of course, it wouldn't be any good unloaded would it?" almost made my step dad spit up his omelet he was laughing so hard.

My mom isn't worried anymore about OC so it was a successful weekend.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
On Saturday we went to Bakers Kitchen in New Bern for breakfast and were talking and mom said "I was just going to ask why you didn't wear your gun today but then I saw it" That got us into why I carry and when she asked if it was loaded, my reply of "Of course, it wouldn't be any good unloaded would it?" almost made my step dad spit up his omelet he was laughing so hard.

My mom isn't worried anymore about OC so it was a successful weekend.

Thanks for the awesome story, Ron. I needed a good laugh!

solus

Goldsboros' Rosewood Walmart around 1830 6 Dec:

open note to the young man (looked < 21) dressed in jeans and black t-shirt w/angel wings on the back as well as wear a hunting hat, who was OC'g a pistol on his left side who left the restroom fiddling with his holster and gun...

1. KUDOS for venturing out OC'g in public
2. RELAX...truly the only ppl watching you walk out of the store was me.
3. SUGGESTION...When you get a couple of bucks invest in a better holster to securely hold your firearm which would eliminate the necessity to continuously fiddle and re-position the firearm on your belt.
4. SORRY... you screamed out of the store and to your vehicle so quickly which precluded my saying hello and introducing myself - while i was OC'g.

ipse

NC-Heel

Employee contact at Charlotte Harris Teeter in Steele Creek on Friday 12-6 at 18:30 hours. Carrying IWB the Glock 19 with my T-shirt tucked behind the holster:

As I was looking for dog treats I here "Excuse me can I ask you a question?". As I turn around I see it is a HT employee and the first thought is "Does he know HT's policy?".

I said "Sure". "Are you law enforcement?" he asked. "No, I am not." was my reply. "Well, let me ask you about the laws in this state. Is the way you are carrying consider open or concealed carry?" he says. "This is open carry. If I covered the gun with my shirt that would be concealed carry and require a permit."

He asks if I ever get hassled by the police. Says he is from Florida and had a permit there. We discussed open carry for a minute and I told him what HT's policy was for OC. Told him about OpenCarry.org and went about my shopping.

man_in_shades

Oc'ed in Nweton Grove

Last night myself and my family along with some friends went to the Meadow of Lights I had my side arm on oc of course. We stopped at the McDonalds to eat as I always do I look at the door to ensure I can carry; they did not so I started to proceed. I was holding the door open for my family and friends as I was a guy standing behind me made a comment I politely as what he said he told me " I think everyone should have one!" I laughed and said yeah it would make people think twice about committing a crime wouldn't it?" he agreed. We get into the restaurant and was ordering a woman walked right up and said nice looking pistol what is it? I replied a S&W M&P .40. I talked to them for a few minutes and ate. We then went on to the lights oc'ed there got some looks but no one said anything nor did they make a scene about it either. Was cool to see so many in favor of open carry

covi

same here..i carried black friday with my wife(oc as usual) without a hiccup. couple looks as usual. but nothing out of the way. store managers seem to follow me around for a few but go away. its funny if i don't carry people with get right up on me in line if i have my gun they stay several feet back. also when i carry it makes me more aware of my surroundings. people that are around and what not

FastWReX

Hey everyone! I just bought my first firearm and I've been testing out OCing a few times, and yesterday I went to Gander Mountain in Gastonia, NC with my PX4 on the hip. I was kind of nervous because the place was decently crowded, but I had no problems. It was a relief to see that I wasn't being looked at odd and that many of the people that worked there were cool with it (at least that I saw). It was a good experience all around! Hope you all had a great weekend!

P.S. This is me losing my first post virginity.

dmatting

Hey everyone! I just bought my first firearm and I've been testing out OCing a few times, and yesterday I went to Gander Mountain in Gastonia, NC with my PX4 on the hip. I was kind of nervous because the place was decently crowded, but I had no problems. It was a relief to see that I wasn't being looked at odd and that many of the people that worked there were cool with it (at least that I saw). It was a good experience all around! Hope you all had a great weekend!

Welcome to the forum.

I went to get my haircut on Friday at lunch time at the Great Clips down near the Morrisville Walmart. The woman who cut my hair checked me in and walked with me to the chair then threw the hair bib blanket thing over me. After she was done, I was looking at the job she did and had to get up out of the chair to get a closer look in the mirror (my optometrist says I have 40itis). It was only then that she saw the gun on my hip. She started fanning her face with her hand and asked in a hushed voice if it was a real gun. I've been asked this before and always find it comical - as if I would be carrying around a toy gun. I must say that no one has ever fanned their face before as if they were all verklempt! I assured her the gun was real and that it was perfectly safe in its holster. My wife commented later that I should have told her that she was likely safer with me in her store than not but I've never been one to come up with good things to say on the fly. Either way, she was exposed to someone carrying a gun who wasn't a cop and experienced nothing unpleasant.

Later that day I had to go to BB&T on Roxboro St in Durham. I don't bank there but I had to go in to complete a particular transaction. I walked up to the door and saw the little gunbuster sign. I went to my vehicle and grudgingly disarmed. I completed my business as quickly as possible. I didn't bother to comment to anyone about it and I won't be sending a letter - I will just make sure to not do business there again. It is rather funny - I use Coastal Federal Credit Union as my bank and they could care less if you carry in there. Of course, they have changed over to a system where all the tellers are centrally located in raleigh and you interact with them through a fancy dancy atm type machine. The BB&T, on the other hand, is an old style bank with tellers and lots of cash around and they prohibit LACs from carrying. Completely bass ackwards, if you ask me.

ron73440

Went to Autozone to get a new fuel filter for my truck, changed it and while cranking the engine to bleed the fuel lines, the batteries died. One day, three trips (buy filter, buy batteries, return battery cores) and three hundred dollars later, no one mentioned the pistol once, although the girl who worked there said I look like a Chevy guy, whatever that means, I don't know.

Went to Justice Tree Farm in Jacksonville to get a Christmas tree for the house and the girl at the counter kept glancing at it, but never commented.

At Moores BBQ again and out of the corner of my eye, I see a kid about 11yo pointing at me. I hear him tell his father, "Dad, that guy has a gun". Fathers reaction? He shrugs and that was the end of that.

On Sunday went to El Taco Loco for Menudo and had a younger couple seem to be eyeballing me, but they didn't say anything.

On a side note, my wife has stopped bugging me about getting a permit, since she realizes even if I had one I would still OC.:monkey:monkey:monkey

solus

oh dear, one would hope you losing your 'virginity' was truly more eventful

welcome to the NC side of OC forum

ipse

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
Went to Walmart in Kannapolis tonight (courtesy of our microwave kicking the bucket) both of us OCing with our daughter. Passed two Concord LEOs hanging out by the carts while we grabbed one. Doubt they had any trouble noticing my S&W since I skipped a coat and was waiting strong side to them. No reaction at all.

As we walked past the jewelers section look over and there's an older gentleman with a cane OCing what looked like a 1911. Didn't wind up talking to him at all, though am now wondering if he is a member here or not.

Pretty cool night. Aside from my freaking microwave.

I usually stop at the Walmart on Concord Pkwy South, since it's closer to home, but I'll drive up there to go to the Hobby Lobby or the Academy Sports. Will definitely be keeping my eyes open for you next time I'm through that area.

Jamesm760

Welcome to OCDO! Nice choice on that PX4, real nice arm. Shot the 9mm one at a range it was very very nice.

covi

today i had a co-worker that needed a ride home. he got in the car and seen me pull my gun from out of the glove box and said wow you really do carry a gun everywhere. i went on to explain why i do and that its my right to

solus

was your passenger receptive to the notion and your explanation? did you get a convert?

ipse

Jamesm760

today i had a co-worker that needed a ride home. he got in the car and seen me pull my gun from out of the glove box and said wow you really do carry a gun everywhere. i went on to explain why i do and that its my right to

I am very careful with co-workers knowing about this. You never now what exactly people will do, you might piss them off one day and they can now tell on you, and if it happens that you work for a company that has a no firearm policy... then you are SOL. Also you never know what kind of person you are working with, and they now know where they can get a gun. If they feel suicidal one day or snap, your firearm will be very convinient. All my co-workers assume I carry because of how much I talk firearms and how I say I always carry but I have never actually said "yea it's in my car right now". But that's just me IMO.

FastWReX

Welcome to OCDO! Nice choice on that PX4, real nice arm. Shot the 9mm one at a range it was very very nice.

Thanks! I was going to go for a Glock 19 Gen. 4, but when I held it the grip didn't feel right. However, in my personal opinion when I shot one this weekend it was pretty solid. I'm really trying to shoot a lot of different manufacturer's just to see what's out there. I love my PX4, and it travels with me everywhere I go!