• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

dmatting

geez must be the only one OC'g in the tarheel state...:(

I carry everyday and everywhere, but 99.99% of the time it is just me doing what I normally do. Hardly post worthy.

Although, last weekend my wife and I were in Home Depot getting some paint an older gentleman approached me and started asking me about OC. I guess his nephew had been telling him that OC is legal in NC without any permits but it appears that he was a doubting Thomas and had to ask about it to someone he saw actually carrying. I can understand that, since he came from NJ and was commenting about how you can't carry without a permit and getting one is ridiculous. My wife and I always wonder what the question or comment is going to be when I get approached - cuz you can see them coming from a mile away. So far (with one exception) anyone approaching or talking to me about me carrying has been positive and usually educational for them.

Edited to Add:
I completely forgot about going to the Fed Ex location on 9th street down in Durham last night. There was a durham county sheriffs deputy inside already. Not sure if he actually saw my piece or not, but he did get in line behind me and nothing was said. But I've been around both Durham cops and sheriffs and never had a problem. I still wonder what everyone is afraid of Durham for. Sure there is crime, ut I've never been hassled by the police...

Last edited:

solus

I carry everyday and everywhere, but 99.99% of the time it is just me doing what I normally do. Hardly post worthy.

Although, last weekend my wife and I were in Home Depot getting some paint an older gentleman approached me and started asking me about OC. I guess his nephew had been telling him that OC is legal in NC without any permits but it appears that he was a doubting Thomas and had to ask about it to someone he saw actually carrying. I can understand that, since he came from NJ and was commenting about how you can't carry without a permit and getting one is ridiculous. My wife and I always wonder what the question or comment is going to be when I get approached - cuz you can see them coming from a mile away. So far (with one exception) anyone approaching or talking to me about me carrying has been positive and usually educational for them.

Edited to Add:
I completely forgot about going to the Fed Ex location on 9th street down in Durham last night. There was a durham county sheriffs deputy inside already. Not sure if he actually saw my piece or not, but he did get in line behind me and nothing was said. But I've been around both Durham cops and sheriffs and never had a problem. I still wonder what everyone is afraid of Durham for. Sure there is crime, ut I've never been hassled by the police...

it does become routine, but some of the new folk peeking out from under their stones and discovering reality, would benefit reading about other's experiences carrying in their communities so it becomes routine for them...

and yes you can see the questioners rolling up and unless accompanied by LE you know it will be a good encounter...

you know us olde folk and listening to the youthful exuberance of our youn'gs...gotta take their statements with a grain of salt until verified...lol

UPS in goldsboro has signs saying no firearms on the property...

ipse

Last edited:

ron73440

I've been carrying all over New Bern and Havelock, but since I only go a few places nothing has happened worth posting about.

I did disarm to go in 35th Street pizza because they serve alcohol, which got my wife talking about permits again.(she goes back and forth on it)

I know it would make more areas open for me to carry into, and I could wear my Carhart coat that comes down below my waist, but I just can't bring myself to ask the government for permission, not to mention the time and expense involved to take the class. All just so I could make other people feel better about the fact that I'm carrying a pistol.

WalkingWolf

I've been carrying all over New Bern and Havelock, but since I only go a few places nothing has happened worth posting about.

I did disarm to go in 35th Street pizza because they serve alcohol, which got my wife talking about permits again.(she goes back and forth on it)

I know it would make more areas open for me to carry into, and I could wear my Carhart coat that comes down below my waist, but I just can't bring myself to ask the government for permission, not to mention the time and expense involved to take the class. All just so I could make other people feel better about the fact that I'm carrying a pistol.

I OC a large fixed blade knife in places that serve alcohol. My wife always has pepper spray in her purse. I may/if I ever go into a alcohol restaurant OC a 4 oz canister of bear spray with the knife. Bear spray shoots further distance than regular spray.

Jamesm760

I have been OCing everyday and nothing interesting to report. No negative or even positive comments/encounters. Gas stations, grocery stores, wally world, restaurants... Nothing to report.

dmatting

UPS in goldsboro has signs saying no firearms on the property...

I checked the doors before I entered the premise - no signs whatsoever. Now, if I recall correctly, the Fed Ex location in Durham near the intersection of S. Alston and 54 has a sign stating no concealed handguns. I have carried in that location openly as well.

solus

well as phil collins states, just another day...

was at the McD's at 13 & 117, two officers came in in unmarked vehicle (don't know if state or POs, but definitely not deputies or city), ordered, and were seated eating their lunch by the beverage machine. I got up to get a refill and the older officer bout broke his neck twisting around so fast watching the firearm on my hip. the other officer gasped, then turned to my friend who was laughing his arse off behind them at the first officer's response. at which point both officers gained their composure and continued with their lunches without another word or glance...

got to love it when a plan comes together!!

carry on NC!!

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
well as phil collins states, just another day...

was at the McD's at 13 & 117, two officers came in in unmarked vehicle (don't know if state or POs, but definitely not deputies or city), ordered, and were seated eating their lunch by the beverage machine. I got up to get a refill and the older officer bout broke his neck twisting around so fast watching the firearm on my hip. the other officer gasped, then turned to my friend who was laughing his arse off behind them at the first officer's response. at which point both officers gained their composure and continued with their lunches without another word or glance...

got to love it when a plan comes together!!

carry on NC!!

ipse

Be kind - they don't teach Composure Recovery in the academy. :uhoh: :lol:

Jamesm760

Interesting experience right after I said it was getting boring.

So after the meet today in Kernersville I decided to hit the Walmart in the area and try my luck on some ammo. I started carrying a bigger knife than what I normally carry. the blade is 4". I thought that any thing 4" or smalller was ok to carry from what I was able to find about laws. SO! Some guy with a glock, handcuffs, and a metallic badge looking thing told me that the knife I was carrying was illegal. He said he works for the state and that anything over 4" is illegal. So instead of speaking my thoughts on the guy that was clearly trying to impersonate a LEO, I ask you guys this, can you guys link me with reading material? The only thing I said to the guy was "ok. I'll look into it, thanks." Though he was a very interesting character and would have liked to ask him what exactly it was he did for the state and what kind of badge that was. (maybe one of those CHP badges you can buy on BUDK.com)

Thanks!
IMG_0502.jpg
IMG_0503.jpg

WalkingWolf

He is wrong, there is a limit on pocket knife length concealed, but not on OC fixed blade knife, or even OC folding knife. I believe the length is 3.5 on a concealed pocket knife. Tell the numpty to cite the law, I have OC'd a 12 inch blade knife, never a word has been said. 5 inch blade is usually the smallest fixed blade knife I OC.

jag06

So I was working/volunteering in Thomasville yesterday and went to lunch at Legends (I think that's the place, was first time going there as my partner recommended it) and there was a man there with his wife, looked to be in their 50's. The man had lots of NRA apparel on and was OC'ing what looked like a glock. I was not OC'ing (not allowed to carry while working). Did not get to talk with him, but was great seeing someone else carrying. Have seen more and more people OC'ing the past year than I ever have. Maybe I am just more observant than I used to be?

carolina guy

He is wrong, there is a limit on pocket knife length concealed, but not on OC fixed blade knife, or even OC folding knife. I believe the length is 3.5 on a concealed pocket knife. Tell the numpty to cite the law, I have OC'd a 12 inch blade knife, never a word has been said. 5 inch blade is usually the smallest fixed blade knife I OC.

+1 Unless there is some local law covering the length of OC knives (unlikely), only laws I can find cover concealed pocket (folding) knives. Plus, I think this falls under the 2A as well... ;)

Jamesm760

+1 Unless there is some local law covering the length of OC knives (unlikely), only laws I can find cover concealed pocket (folding) knives. Plus, I think this falls under the 2A as well... ;)

^^^ thanks for the info guys!^^^

So I was working/volunteering in Thomasville yesterday and went to lunch at Legends (I think that's the place, was first time going there as my partner recommended it) and there was a man there with his wife, looked to be in their 50's. The man had lots of NRA apparel on and was OC'ing what looked like a glock. I was not OC'ing (not allowed to carry while working). Did not get to talk with him, but was great seeing someone else carrying. Have seen more and more people OC'ing the past year than I ever have. Maybe I am just more observant than I used to be?

I think that more people with CHPs are starting to build enough courage to OC. Also I think that more people are stumbling across OC topics online when they begin to look into firearms o

solus

james, that is the hope and goal more and more citizens in NC and where allowable see folk OC'g and then those who do not carry, inquire about the practice and either pursue getting trained and purchasing a firearm or at least become comfortable with their friends and neighbors carrying.

WalkingWolf

james, that is the hope and goal more and more citizens in NC and where allowable see folk OC'g and then those who do not carry, inquire about the practice and either pursue getting trained and purchasing a firearm or at least become comfortable with their friends and neighbors carrying.

+1~~~Now if we could just get the numpties to stop spreading mistruths on gun sites such as this one. Someone will be along shortly to tell James how he will get proned out for OCing a medium blade knife.:banghead:

jeffy_ssd

Had to make a pre-storm run to Wally World and was OCing with my 1911A1 as usual. Had a nice lady tell me that she was glad to see someone around with a handgun, that she felt safer. I thought good deal....my wife is thoroughly convinced that she was just flirting with me. SMH.....

solus

ran to the local food lion and hwy 55 for something to eat and managed to hit both before they closed...nobody bat'd an eye tho the food lion assist mgr seemed a tad nervous as he bagged by snacks...

ipse

papa bear

Had to make a pre-storm run to Wally World and was OCing with my 1911A1 as usual. Had a nice lady tell me that she was glad to see someone around with a handgun, that she felt safer. I thought good deal....my wife is thoroughly convinced that she was just flirting with me. SMH.....

WAIT, ain't it illegal to have a gun in NC when we are in a "state of emergency" :banghead::eek: