• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

Jamesm760

First, new to the forum....great conversations.

Now for the OC RPT. My boy and I were in Cary last weekend to recon the recently opened Bass Pro Shop (aka: my Mecca). I OC everyday and remembered some discussion a while back about Cary not allowing OC. I whipped out the smart phone and pulled up Cary ordinances and comments on this site. From what I gathered one can OC in Cary on private property unless posted. Therefore I proceeded to Carry On. Approaching the door we looked for the communist GFZ sticker and was pleased to see none. Once inside there were some glances and a few stares, but no comments.

Overall uneventful. Unrelated, but I prefer the BPS in Myrtle Beach to the Cary location for obvious reasons.

thanks,

Old Soldier (ABN)

Welcome to OCDO. Thanks for sharing!!!

solus

quote I admire those elderly people. At least they are out earning a living instead of sitting on their butts collecting unemployment. unquote

quote Maybe you should re-read my post again. unquote

sorry, flyboy, what part did i mis-read in your posts about your condescending mentality of seniors who are trying to make ends meet?

quote: My yearly income is in the top 3% of the U.S., You got me, I'm a door greeter. unquote

quote You tried to advance your argument by suggesting that I was a door greeter. If that was meant to be an insult, you failed.

seems you did start the concept you are a greeter not another forum member!

ipse

solus

old soldier, i will take a leap of faith and thank you for your service to our county...it is certainly appreciated!

and welcome to the forum.

ipse

dad2ze

If Walmart is having a greater than usual theft problem, Walmart needs to install more cameras and hire more LP...not harass PAYING customers who just walked away from a register after paying.

If they did not catch the theft before that, they are not going to catch a theft at the door with an 80yo grandmother. Not only is it ineffective, it is insulting.

'
Wal-mart like most places has guidelines they use to stop people. I know because I worked LP in a BIG chain RETAIL STORE *cough Hecht's cough cough* and we had 7 steps that we HAD to follow or else we could be terminated. Now BELKS on the other hand, if they suspected you, would walk out behind you with a sensor tag and say they were LP and needed to check your bags. If the receipt matched then the hidden tag was found in the clothes. If not, then they would haul you in. I've been stopped by Wal-Mart LP and accused of taking stuff. My first question is always "Do you have me on video or is this floor surveillance?" Next question is "what merchandise did i take?"

I would then ask for the LP Manager and store Manager to be called. I would tell them I am calling the police myself. They usually are dumbfounded that you are calling the police. I would file a complaint with corporate. Ive been stopped twice both times for crap they made up. They "saw" something.

Just my 2 cents

WalkingWolf

'
Wal-mart like most places has guidelines they use to stop people. I know because I worked LP in a BIG chain RETAIL STORE *cough Hecht's cough cough* and we had 7 steps that we HAD to follow or else we could be terminated. Now BELKS on the other hand, if they suspected you, would walk out behind you with a sensor tag and say they were LP and needed to check your bags. If the receipt matched then the hidden tag was found in the clothes. If not, then they would haul you in. I've been stopped by Wal-Mart LP and accused of taking stuff. My first question is always "Do you have me on video or is this floor surveillance?" Next question is "what merchandise did i take?"

I would then ask for the LP Manager and store Manager to be called. I would tell them I am calling the police myself. They usually are dumbfounded that you are calling the police. I would file a complaint with corporate. Ive been stopped twice both times for crap they made up. They "saw" something.

Just my 2 cents

How tall were the WM LP, I am not joking. Every-time I have seen a over zealous WM LP they are under 5'5". The one that threatened me was a full head shorter than I. It was almost funny watching him try to stand on his toes so he could look me in the face.

solus

'

Just my 2 cents

outstanding advice which i will put in my backpocket verbal tool kit to use in the event i am 'questioned'...filing a complaint is already in my repertoire!

welcome to the forum...

ipse

carolina guy

How tall were the WM LP, I am not joking. Every-time I have seen a over zealous WM LP they are under 5'5". The one that threatened me was a full head shorter than I. It was almost funny watching him try to stand on his toes so he could look me in the face.

I usually don't even slow down unless I recognize the voice (wife, kids, friends) or it is someone I don't want to run over (like a kid or granny).

carolina guy

outstanding advice which i will put in my backpocket verbal tool kit to use in the event i am 'questioned'...filing a complaint is already in my repertoire!

welcome to the forum...

ipse

true...but why even bother stopping for them? You have your receipt, your goods and are a free person to leave the store.

carolina guy

welcome to the forum...

ipse

Last time (been a few years) that I had a store employee say they needed to "talk with me" I just responded "walk with me..." and kept on walking with the guy trotting to keep up.

gary737

quote I admire those elderly people. At least they are out earning a living instead of sitting on their butts collecting unemployment. unquote

quote Maybe you should re-read my post again. unquote

sorry, flyboy, what part did i mis-read in your posts about your condescending mentality of seniors who are trying to make ends meet?

quote: My yearly income is in the top 3% of the U.S., You got me, I'm a door greeter. unquote

quote You tried to advance your argument by suggesting that I was a door greeter. If that was meant to be an insult, you failed.

seems you did start the concept you are a greeter not another forum member!

ipse

Now I understand where I mis-communicated. Sorry, my mistake. I meant to say at least they are out earning a living instead of some younger generations that would rather sit on their butts and collect unemployment.

Actually, WW mentioned that I was most likely a greeter or LP officer.

Last edited:

carolina guy

Now I understand where I mis-communicated. Sorry, my mistake. I meant to say at least they are out earning a living instead of some younger generations that would rather sit on their butts and collect unemployment.

+1

WalkingWolf

AND you immediately took offense to it, apparently you think less of greeters. Self loathing maybe? The same way some police officers take offense to the very mention of their profession. Your problem bubba, not mine.

And at least I did not imply you were thief, which somehow you think is OK, yet get incensed over mistaken for elderly. BTW I am elderly.

Last edited:

dad2ze

Door greeters i laugh at....they have no "arrest powers" whatsoever...Loss Prevention no matter where they are located has to have PROOF! A sticker that was on our monitors and a HUGE sign on the back of the door read "If you didn't see it, it didn't happen." Businesses can get sued out there because Barney Fife wanted to act all Big.

heckle

I usually don't even slow down unless I recognize the voice (wife, kids, friends) or it is someone I don't want to run over (like a kid or granny).
I don't stop for them either. Can always blame it on my loss of hearing. Last time they tried to stop me (about three years ago), I just signed to them (using sign language) that I was hard of hearing (not far from the truth). The guy looked directly at me and said "have a nice evening" louder than normal. :)

Bahabandit

I don't stop for them either. Can always blame it on my loss of hearing. Last time they tried to stop me (about three years ago), I just signed to them (using sign language) that I was hard of hearing (not far from the truth). The guy looked directly at me and said "have a nice evening" louder than normal. :)

I also use this excuse too. I have a hearing aid (blown up in Iraq) that I can blame it on.

solus

well yesterday went to DMV on ash OC'g and nobody batted an eye...except as i was leaving a young man walked by and in passing said ...nice piece...i bit the inside of my mouth to refrain from making the smart arse comment that was rolling off my tongue...

today at the kangaroo at 117/13 said hello to a young man who was filling a tire at the air pump...and recommended he come out to the site and say hello.

ipse

REDFIVE48

well yesterday went to DMV on ash OC'g and nobody batted an eye...except as i was leaving a young man walked by and in passing said ...nice piece...i bit the inside of my mouth to refrain from making the smart arse comment that was rolling off my tongue...

today at the kangaroo at 117/13 said hello to a young man who was filling a tire at the air pump...and recommended he come out to the site and say hello.

ipse

DMV on Hwy 16 (NW Charlotte) is posted, had to return to my vehicle and store last time I was there. Armed police? sitting inside also (they looked more than armed security, but were not CMPD).

solus

DMV on Hwy 16 (NW Charlotte) is posted, had to return to my vehicle and store last time I was there. Armed police? sitting inside also (they looked more than armed security, but were not CMPD).

WOW..wonder who PI$$'d in their wheaties...our DMV is contract so don't know if that makes a differerence..

ipse