• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

repo_4

For clarity and full disclosure, the retired deputy did say he did CC when he went out to eat, and this was before the law changed (at the time I thought retired LEO's could CC anywhere). This was during a CHP class. He didnt say he would condone doing it, just that he was going to teach what the law was and each would have to make up their own minds. There was definitely not a tone of "do not do this!" though.

I understand this makes the point for WW. That wasn't the point to my original post though. I agree that there are probably more folks than I would care to admit that regularly break the law regarding CC. I just don't do it and the post from WW seemed to attack ALL people with the "privledge" to have a CHP. Again, I OC probably 90% of the time and believe that Constitutional right should carry more weight than a man-made law to CC. I just don't look down on CC folks either.

Last edited:

repo_4

those who have the privilege CHPs can now enter these establishments unfettered while those who OC remain on the outside looking in.

ipse

hate when you get there first WW...lol

I thought it was established (earlier in this thread) that as long as it is not posted and you have the permission of the owner/manager of said establishment you can OC in an restaurant the serves alcohol? Just asking to be clear for my knowledge.

solus

I thought it was established (earlier in this thread) that as long as it is not posted and you have the permission of the owner/manager of said establishment you can OC in an restaurant the serves alcohol? Just asking to be clear for my knowledge.

well, established is not quite quantified in statute as it a presumptive theory, establishment by common sense and lack of specific statute to the contrary.

bottom line there is no case law substantiating this discussion for OC where adult beverages are served.

but it is WW's theorem so let him weigh in and if i misspoke, i apologize profusely and will delete my post.

ipse

solus

Let me state for the record, as a CHP holder, that I obey the law. I do not imbibe alcohol when I am carrying either openly or concealed. It's not because I believe I would not get caught if I was carrying concealed and was drinking, it's because (1) I am a law abiding citizen and (2) If something should occur that necessitated my use of my firearm, I absolutely want to avoid any suspicion that my actions were caused by being under the influence. The second reason applies also to when I'm openly carrying.

Your weak caveat (Not all CC do it) notwithstanding, I believe that you are painting with too broad of a brush. I may be somewhat naive, but I believe that the vast majority of people who carry, openly or concealed, are highly aware of, and honor, their legal responsibilities.

nativity is a good thing on an open public forum as i also do not disobey the law and i am sure the vast majority do what you stated...wink!

ipse

WalkingWolf

well, established is not quite quantified in statute as it a presumptive theory, establishment by common sense and lack of specific statute to the contrary.

bottom line there is no case law substantiating this discussion for OC where adult beverages are served.

but it is WW's theorem so let him weigh in and if i misspoke, i apologize profusely and will delete my post.

ipse
Without the express permission of someone of authority in said business you are correct. It is a loophole that I admit was not intended, but it is there nevertheless.

Most franchise business that serve probably would not give permission. And those are places that many folks like to go. But as you know I am not a fan of franchise, I like hole in the wall places of business.

And let me clarify, not once did I say ALL of CHP holders break the law, but I believe the CHP holders that deny knowledge of such behavior never leave the house, read the paper, the news on the internet, or are outright dishonest. There is a reason "open" is considered honest, and hiding considered generations back as sneaky. The very idea of hiding things from public view makes breaking the law easy. AND it was common, and probably still is that CHP holders take advantage of the deception to do things as if they were not armed.

The denial in this thread when at least one member stepped to say he was aware of it, yet there are still those with their backs to the wall crying a river of denial.

Last edited:

trailkiller91

ok, i'm sorry, but which event are we discussing? WW's encounter w/alcoholic beverages and open carry? or trailkiller91's query about the buggy festival?

if trailkerller91's, then BC, to pull your definition of event completely out of context, especially since the entire paragraph your definition is taken from, 14.269.3 pertaining to 'assemblages and establishments where alcoholic beverages are served' is an incorrect grasp of the term 'event' and truly does not fit what trailkiller91's query was about in regard to the buggy festival.

trailkiller91's comment about parades and such falls under 14.277.2 of the NC statutes discusses 'weapons at parades, etc., prohibited' and the statute provides clarification in (c) for CHP carry at these situations as changed 1 Oct 2013. http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/Site...1208:2jn1cirfegg&cof=FORID:11&q=parades&sa=Go

Trailkiller91's shouldn't give a rat's pa-tu-di if the buggy festival has an event permit since those are not generally available for review by the public so the OP's main concern s/b, as WW correctly point out...is admission charged.

I don't mind getting thoroughly confused but for goodness sake, at least keep some semblance of context flow and quit mixing kumquats with tobacco.

BTW trailkiller91, how was the festival?
ipse

Sorry it took so long to reply, I had been in a class the past few weeks for work and have barely had time for anything else. The festival was good, plenty of LEOs driving around in golf carts, not one said a word to me. An ill informed friend of mine that was there tried telling me I couldnt carry because it was a festival. Tried to explain to him that I could but you can't help the ignorant.

I'd also like to thank everyone for the clarification of the issue I had.

solus

Sorry it took so long to reply, I had been in a class the past few weeks for work and have barely had time for anything else. The festival was good, plenty of LEOs driving around in golf carts, not one said a word to me. An ill informed friend of mine that was there tried telling me I couldnt carry because it was a festival. Tried to explain to him that I could but you can't help the ignorant.

I'd also like to thank everyone for the clarification of the issue I had.

outstanding...will have to consider attending next year.

ipse

WalkingWolf

outstanding...will have to consider attending next year.

ipse

Vass used to have a good Italian restaurant, though I have not been there in years. If it is the same it is a great place to eat, though they do serve alcohol. Back then I was willing to lock my gun in the car, I really do not like doing that anymore, most of the reason we have not been back. But someday I may look up the owner and get permission.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
(Snip)

And let me clarify, not once did I say ALL of CHP holders break the law, but I believe the CHP holders that deny knowledge of such behavior never leave the house, read the paper, the news on the internet, or are outright dishonest. There is a reason "open" is considered honest, and hiding considered generations back as sneaky. The very idea of hiding things from public view makes breaking the law easy. AND it was common, and probably still is that CHP holders take advantage of the deception to do things as if they were not armed.

No, you never said ALL, but the easily understood content of your comments indicates that you believe MOST CCers either break the law or are knowledgeable of and tolerate those who do. I simply don't believe that and suspect that your belief is a holdover from your days in law enforcement, where everyone is a criminal or about to become one.

(See, I can paint with too broad a brush, too.)

WalkingWolf

No, you never said ALL, but the easily understood content of your comments indicates that you believe MOST CCers either break the law or are knowledgeable of and tolerate those who do. I simply don't believe that and suspect that your belief is a holdover from your days in law enforcement, where everyone is a criminal or about to become one.

(See, I can paint with too broad a brush, too.)

Loosen your tin foil hat, never said means never said, anything else is just your paranoia.

Vagrant

Right... well i went into Walmart/Target/ in Greensboro off of Wendover, all was quiet. Went into Cici's off of Battleground Ave and a mexican family of 5 was waiting for a to go order like me, they kept trying to tell me i could sit when there was only 4 chairs to sit, but i couldnt have a woman with a little boy in her arms stand while i sat, so i gave up my seat and stood for the next ten minutes.....

The only issue is as i Lefty my strong side was facing the door and so everyone walking into the CICI's kept a marketed distance from me while asking if i had ordered yet, which essentially also made me "line designator", though a couple cute girls did smile at me.

WalkingWolf

I'll take off my tin-foil hat (=personal insult) when you take responsibility for the words you use...
I do take responsibility for the words I use, but I do not take responsibility for your imagination. If I did not say, your imagination does not put the words in my posts. Try being honest, and only attribute for what is actually stated, not what you think another thinks when you do not like their post.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I do take responsibility for the words I use, but I do not take responsibility for your imagination. If I did not say, your imagination does not put the words in my posts. Try being honest, and only attribute for what is actually stated, not what you think another thinks when you do not like their post.

Now you're implying that I'm not being honest, when all I did was to voice an opinion about the impreciseness of what you said, which again, in my opinion, tarred almost all CCers with a broad brush, implying that they either knowingly broke the law or tolerated those who do. I'm done with you.

WalkingWolf

Now you're implying that I'm not being honest, when all I did was to voice an opinion about the impreciseness of what you said, which again, in my opinion, tarred almost all CCers with a broad brush, implying that they either knowingly broke the law or tolerated those who do. I'm done with you.

I am not implying, I am downright stating it, you are making claims that I did not say, based on your perceptions. IOW you claim to read my mind.

Let me read yours~~ I think you protest too much...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Gentlemen, let us not do the antis work for them. We need not bruise and batter each other. A diiference of opinion or perspective does not alter our goals.