• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

dmatting

Late report from the weekend... Wife and I went to Earp's Seafood down in Raleigh and then to the Raleigh Farmer's Market. Bought a bunch of peaches and a few other items. Went to the NC Seafood Restaurant and got lunch. While it looks like most of their fare is fried, it is pretty good and they give you a lot of it. We both got fish and shrimp plates and the styrofoam container was bulging because they crammed a bunch of shrimp in it. Also went to Bass Outlet in Cary yesterday. All these trips were uneventful in terms of OC.

carolina guy

Carolina Guy, perhaps we should lend SC our GRNC group to assist in getting SC citizens this OC capability. nope that wont work for reasons already aired within this forum.

guess SC citizens are left to their own devices to rectify their legal OC quagmire!

ipse

?? Not sure I understand what you were trying to say about GRNC and OC, aside from obvious the tongue-in-cheek. :confused:

Maybe it's just me...but given Heller, McDonald and the recent DC case (same district, btw), I am not sure why some of the OC groups in SC aren't pushing to get the laws against OC struck. If the only method to exercise a right requires permission, it isn't a right.

solus

?? Not sure I understand what you were trying to say about GRNC and OC, aside from obvious the tongue-in-cheek. :confused:

Maybe it's just me...but given Heller, McDonald and the recent DC case (same district, btw), I am not sure why some of the OC groups in SC aren't pushing to get the laws against OC struck. If the only method to exercise a right requires permission, it isn't a right.

twas T-C comment since GRNC has done nothing, as stated last year by the organizational president on this forum and on his website, for NC citizens who wish to OC as their entire GA agenda has pushed CC and automatic firearm agendas for those 'sane and sober' NC citizens to CC.

last i checked, SC doesn't have an active grass roots organization, a revelation noted on this forum.

ipse

Last edited:

carolina guy

twas T-C comment since GRNC has done nothing, as stated last year by the organizational president on this forum and on his website, for NC citizens who wish to OC as their entire GA agenda has pushed CC and automatic firearm agendas for those 'sane and sober' NC citizens to CC.

last i checked, SC doesn't have an active grass roots organization, a revelation noted on this forum.

ipse

None?? Wow...but that would explain a lot.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
grape the first two front pages currency is 2011 and the last one is mid 2013. verified twice

when this was brought up previously one of the sites still listed the previous governor.

ipse
Maybe they're jus' takin' a break :uhoh:

Would be good if someone would build a fire under them.

solus

Maybe they're jus' takin' a break :uhoh:

Would be good if someone would build a fire under them.

come on down to sc and we can shake up things?

(not sure the state would survive per se, but hey it might be interesting):shocker:

ipse

tiggy1190

A gentleman approached me as I was walking out of a gas station today, and asked how was I allowed to carry a firearm OC? I gave him a short education session, and in the end he thanked me for carrying, and said he feels better knowing there are people who openly carry. He liked the idea, and I would imagine he will start OC. He explained that 15 mins prior to that he had a group of young adults get aggressive with him, and his young daughter as they drove through downtown Asheville. He said he was wishing he was armed as he was speeding off from them. Now he knows.

XD40sc

GRNC is working for all gun owners. One of their latest inatiaves to to have all gun registration records in Durham County destroyed now that the GA has eliminated Durham Co.'s registration, something that effects all gun owners in the county.

carolina guy

GRNC is working for all gun owners. One of their latest inatiaves to to have all gun registration records in Durham County destroyed now that the GA has eliminated Durham Co.'s registration, something that effects all gun owners in the county.

perhaps I am incorrect...I took Solus' statement to mean that GRNC tends to favor the CC crowd much more than the OC crowd. There is certainly some overlap...

solus

perhaps I am incorrect...I took Solus' statement to mean that GRNC tends to favor the CC crowd much more than the OC crowd. There is certainly some overlap...

carolina guy, your perception is correct. direct forum quote from a GRNC director presented at the explicit direction of the GRNC president.

OC forum quote from cricket dad, one of GRNC's directors from 5 Nov 2012: quote I have been asked by Paul Valone to re post this. GRNC is promoting the image of North Carolina concealed handgun permit-holders -- certified sane, sober and law abiding -- protecting their toddlers as they take the family to dinner. GRNC’s goal is to achieve improvements for NC gun owners. We might be able to achieve a loosening of restrictions for concealed handgun permit-holders. For open carry, those improvements are, at present, unachievable just as a “shall issue” concealed handgun law was unachievable until 1995. unquote

the GRNC president also expressed those exact certified sane, sober, and law abiding CC sentiments on their website which has since fallen into obscurity.

reading the olde threads brings up enlightened information and it amazing how little has actually changed over the years.

ipse

Last edited:

papa bear

due to my own interactions with Paul Valone and a lot of the upper echelon
of the GRNC. they only do care for CC. they seemed to be applaud at OC

on a different note

i went to wally world the other day spotted a fellow carrier. talked to him a little while. he was from TX. they said his wife will be carrying soon.
then a guy walked up to me to talk about OC, having noticed other people he had seen there. he was from PA. wasn't sure of the laws there.
then as the second one and i were talking a third guy walked up and started talking to us. he was from NC but had spent time in the military as an MP.

all of them was grateful for the right to carry in NC. i told them about this site and hope they will come

Kazareh

Ah this was -ages- ago when I got a BB/Pellet gun for Snake Deterrent when I lived near Lake Thom-A-Lex in Lexington/Thomasville. I'd OC that pellet loaded gun due to my proximity to the lake, and thus, as I would see by all the roadkill, lotsa bodies of copperheads. Yeah I'm not taking chances -there-. So one day, doing my usual 2 mile walk when a LEO comes infront of me,, and parks... Here we go.. He gets out and asks if he could talk for a minute, and I told him alright, sure. He said someone called about me waking down the road with the gun, and while he advocates 2A rights, he has to respond to the call. I told him, well it's not real. It's a pellet gun for the snakes around. He looks surprised then and says "You sure? LOOKS real!" I told him, yeah, pellet alright. You, can take a look at it if you want.(Officer wasn't being a, em, alternative name for Richard, so I wasn't gonna pull the usual 'no, am I being detained', etc. Frankly wasn't even in the MOOD to) So he does, he pops it out of the UncleMikes holster I had it in, looks it over, then asks how the heck I unload it. After explaining to him how, he starts acting like a kid on Christmas! :lol: Asking all sorts of questions about what kind of pellets/bbs it'll take, whether it was gas powered(Which it was, love the co2 pistols!), and what kind of pellets I was using. Explained I was using the Gammo Raptor's... He actually wrote that down for later usage for himself, as he does small game hunting with pellet guns and does target shooting as well! He handed it back to me and asked me one more question.. Where he could get one himself!!! :lol:

Ah, well while not QUITE a firearms OC story, those will come soon. For those that've been following my other thread, I've got myself set on getting a HP C9/CF-380, so I'll have plenty of stories to share for that come the future!!!!

razor_baghdad

2A and NC - The Gold Star State

Ah, well while not QUITE a firearms OC story, those will come soon. For those that've been following my other thread, I've got myself set on getting a HP C9/CF-380, so I'll have plenty of stories to share for that come the future!!!!

au contraire my friend. It's a very important OC story IMHO. I don't know you and please don't take this as an insult but you got played by a police officer with VERY GOOD TQ (tactical questioning) skills. You were doing nothing wrong - walking down the road legally transporting your "firearm". The LEO had you hand over your "gun" and he made you think it was the best idea that you ever had. You played right into his hands and also made it a little harder (again, IMHO) for the next OC'er that that LEO stops for doing nothing wrong. "LEO - but the last guy I "checked" on let me see his firearm no problem".

Now what's going to happen when that same LEO sees you transporting a different but very REAL firearm?. Are you going to give up your rights because he was such a nice guy the last time he checked you? Please Do Not Consent to give up your rights during the next encounter - just IMHO.

ETA: FYSA - Any LEO that cannot figure out how to load and/or unload a BB gun should not be carrying a firearm of his own.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Kazareh Ah, well while not QUITE a firearms OC story, those will come soon. For those that've been following my other thread, I've got myself set on getting a HP C9/CF-380, so I'll have plenty of stories to share for that come the future!!!!
au contraire my friend. It's a very important OC story IMHO. I don't know you and please don't take this as an insult but you got played by a police officer with VERY GOOD TQ (tactical questioning) skills. You were doing nothing wrong - walking down the road legally transporting your "firearm". The LEO had you hand over your "gun" and he made you think it was the best idea that you ever had. You played right into his hands and also made it a little harder (again, IMHO) for the next OC'er that that LEO stops for doing nothing wrong. "LEO - but the last guy I "checked" on let me see his firearm no problem".

Now what's going to happen when that same LEO sees you transporting a different but very REAL firearm?. Are you going to give up your rights because he was such a nice guy the last time he checked you? Please Do Not Consent to give up your rights during the next encounter - just IMHO.

ETA: FYSA - Any LEO that cannot figure out how to load and/or unload a BB gun should not be carrying a firearm of his own.
Fourth Circuit Finds That Carrying a Firearm in an Open-Carry State Does Not Create Reasonable Suspicion and Provides Thorough Analysis of the "Free to Leave" Standard of Seizure

".....it is undisputed that under the laws of North Carolina, which permit its residents to openly carry firearms . . . Troupe’s gun was legally possessed and displayed. The Government contends that because other laws prevent convicted felons from possessing guns, the officers could not know whether Troupe was lawfully in possession of the gun until they performed a records check. . . . We are not persuaded. Being a felon in possession of a firearm is not the default status. More importantly, where a state permits individuals to openly carry firearms, the exercise of this right, without more, cannot justify an investigatory detention. Permitting such a justification would eviscerate Fourth Amendment protections for lawfully armed individuals in those states.”
http://www.fedagent.com/columns/case...ard-of-seizure

This case, United States v. Black, can be found here.

Jamesm760

I went to the driving range a couple of days ago OCing my G23. My friend was OCing his P320. A guy shows up and sets up next to us, he was an older gentleman with fancy looking clubs. He asked if we were off duty officers. I told him we weren't. He asked why we were carrying a "piece" and I knew where he was going with it simply by the way he was asking the question. Not wanting to get into a debate, I gave him a hand and nod gesture indicating "really?" to which he responded "because you can?" and I responded by saying "exactly". He then said "there are times and places where one needs to carry a piece"... I told him "I agree" and left it at that.

Seemed to me like he was not anti-gun since he does agree that one needs to be armed, but just whenever you think that you might need to use it for self-defense... Thing is, you don't know when or where that is going to be... Maybe he was just anti OC? o_O

Ken56

I carry my S&W air weight .38 IWB while I golf. Of course the usual 'do you really need that?' questions are always asked. Well..... the last time out we were approached by a very aggressive dog that got loose from a home on the course. It was running toward my golf buddy as I was at the cart and seeing this I was about to draw my gun incase the dog attacked my buddy. Luckily the owner wasn't far behind and managed to get control before anything bad happened. Who needs a gun on a golf course?? Ya ... right. Glad I had it, and didn't have to use it.

razor_baghdad

I carry my S&W air weight .38 IWB while I golf. Of course the usual 'do you really need that?' questions are always asked. Well..... the last time out we were approached by a very aggressive dog that got loose from a home on the course. It was running toward my golf buddy as I was at the cart and seeing this I was about to draw my gun incase the dog attacked my buddy. Luckily the owner wasn't far behind and managed to get control before anything bad happened. Who needs a gun on a golf course?? Ya ... right. Glad I had it, and didn't have to use it.

2 months ago near Chicago:

ELGIN, Ill. (WLS) --
Three teens are arrested in connection with the beating of an 87-year-old man with his own golf clubs Saturday in Wing Park in northwest suburban Elgin.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/87-year-old-man-beaten-with-own-golf-clubs-teens-arrested/102408/

Police patrols continue as usual at Wing Park as investigators reassure the public that the attack was nothing more than an unfortunate but random crime.

"You have to be aware of your surrounding and you have to know what's going on around you, and be smart, but no not be afraid," Elgin resident Barb Harrington.

Sounds more like "El Presidente" to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4YzV2qZRLY

Last edited: