• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Off OC, I know...bad bad bad

I have been told that VA SP have (or had) systems to detect an active radar detector, but they have to be real close (i.e., passing by you or you passing by them). However, I have to imagine there are radar detectors that know are shielded or detect the "detector dectector" - roger roger

When a hand held radar gun shoots you - you stay shot, even if your detector screams. :uhoh:

Why not just drive the speed limit?

Racer X

I was surprised to see two guys in Thomasville OC yesterday. First time I had met another OC'er unplanned. They were walking into Advance Auto in front of me. I spoke briefly with them, but I wasn't carrying at the time (had just crawled out from under my race car) and was in more of a hurry than usual. If either of you guys are on the board then it's great to sort of meet you. Sorry I didn't catch your names or engage in much conversation. Maybe I'll see you again when I'm not so pressed for time.

kcGlock19

Since I just bought a Glock 19 a couple weeks ago i have slowly started OC more places. Usually just when I run out at night. I still get nervous for some reason haha. I guess it will just take time to get used to it. I have had some looks. Mostly from little kids and moms. No one has said anything and most people just do a double take and thats it. I am extra careful about being curtious and polite. My dad CC's and he is agaisnt OC. Gun grab is his main reason. He thinks a "thug" will grab it or shoot me for the gun. I just make sure I am aware of my surroundings.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My dad CC's and he is agaisnt OC. Gun grab is his main reason. He thinks a "thug" will grab it or shoot me for the gun. I just make sure I am aware of my surroundings.

Hasn't happened yet.............period.

In spite of allegorical, urban myths to the contrary. It's one of those things that if said often enough, must be true.

Last edited:

Northerner

My dad CC's and he is agaisnt OC. Gun grab is his main reason. He thinks a "thug" will grab it or shoot me for the gun. I just make sure I am aware of my surroundings.

I have been OCing for almost a year now, without ever having a gun grab, a faint move for a gun grab, or somebody eye-F*** my holster thinking of a gun grab. There are classess/instructors available that can teach you how to repel the mythical gun grab. (IMHO) But being aware of your surroundings is key. I try my best to always keep my strong side away from people standing near me or passing by, although not always possible. Your holster position, style of holster, and retention mechanism (very important) are also key to reducing the chance of the mythical gun grab....or at least from dropping it while sitting on the terlet (toilet). :uhoh:

Here's a thought....It would be nice if public bathrooms intalled a gun storage shelf next to the toilets (i.e., like a baby changing table). Not everyone has thier weapon on a utlity belt that they can just hang behind the door. Way off topic

Last edited:

muccione

My brother is the same way... I carry a XD-40 with a Serpa Blackhawk... A few weeks ago I was getting into the passenger side of his truck and he was behind me... Trying to "prove" how easy it was to grab my gun.. He grabbed the grip and pulled it...Know he KNOWS EXACTLY how a serpa works and still was not able to get it off me... He was SHOCKED that he wasn't able to get it off me... He had optimal postilion and knowledge of my system.. Sure someone MIGHT get it but its very unlikely..

The reality of this is how many "thugs" even know what or how a serpa works?.

Situational awareness is key to any defensive position...

And nobody need to tell me "how" dangerous this could have been... He is an firearms expert.. Its like telling Chuck Norris he shouldn't do fake kicks in movies cuz he might actually kick someone

chiefjason

Hasn't happened yet.............period.

In spite of allegorical, urban myths to the contrary. It's one of those things that if said often enough, must be true.

I tend to shy away from absolutes. I go more with, it rarely happens. It's on my radar as a possible concern, but not terribly high. It's more of a concern for LEO's than OC citizens IMO. The more people that OC, the more possibilities someone is going to try.

OC'r robbed of gun.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/95995449.html

Sam

That's the main reason I wear cross draw. If someone is going to strip me of my sidearm they will either have to be right in front of me or go under my arm and pull forward and upward first. Either way I'm not letting go very easily unless they have the drop on me like the guy in Wisconsin. I limit that possibility with SA.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I tend to shy away from absolutes. I go more with, it rarely happens. It's on my radar as a possible concern, but not terribly high. It's more of a concern for LEO's than OC citizens IMO. The more people that OC, the more possibilities someone is going to try.

OC'r robbed of gun.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/95995449.html

Familiar with that - robbed is not snatched and there is some question regarding the legitimacy of the incident as it was reported.

The oft repeated challenges have been:

1) Show me one verifiable (w/cite) confirmed OC snatch by a bad guy anywhere in the USA in modern times - LEOs, security and military excepted.

2) Show me one verifiable (w/cite) confirmed incident where an OCer was preemptively taken out (shot) by a bad guy anywhere in the USA in modern times - LEOs, security and military excepted.

The usual follow up to these as been - of course it is possible and even mathematically probable, but when such does occur the resulting decimal equivalent will look something like .000001%

Those are odds extremely in our favor. No one has responded to those successfully over many, many years.

Further, how does CC distinguish a good guy from the rest of the flock of potential victims. Gives pause for thought, does it not?

chiefjason

And one instance does not make it a problem. Just a possibility, even if a small one. We like to push retention holsters for OC, not because it happens regularly or even occasionally. But just in case it does happen. I don't feel that it's enough of an issue to warrant not OC'ing, or being anti OC. But it warrants some consideration, even if only for mentally preparing for an incident.

Northerner

And one instance does not make it a problem. Just a possibility, even if a small one. We like to push retention holsters for OC, not because it happens regularly or even occasionally. But just in case it does happen. I don't feel that it's enough of an issue to warrant not OC'ing, or being anti OC. But it warrants some consideration, even if only for mentally preparing for an incident.

I certainly make the mental decision to OC 99% of the time with my Blackhawk retention holster vs. my leather IWB/OWB hostler without positive retention. It's snug and covers the trigger when condition zero (Glock), but could be grabbed easily. I usually CC with this one.

Smith45acp

You can't get a ticket if you don't pull over ;)

I stick the cruise control at 9 over for most driving. I've never been ticketed for anything less than 15 over. Even If they wrote the ticket for 79 in a 70, they pulled me because I was going 80 something.

It is b.s., IMO, to enforce speed limits when there is ZERO traffic on some lonely road. I don't mean open it up for a free for all, I just think we should be allowed to use some common sense.

JayT

I don't mean open it up for a free for all, I just think we should be allowed to use some common sense.

Sorry for the hijack... but...

Oooof. If we had that ("common sense") we wouldn't be here fighting for 2A... right?

JayT

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sorry for the hijack... but...

Oooof. If we had that ("common sense") we wouldn't be here fighting for 2A... right?

JayT

The "common sense" phraseology was not directed to us (we), but to those that would deny us certain freedoms. Note that I am not defending speeding.

Also understand that "common sense" and "reasonable" are buzz words for those people/groups that wish to control the rest of the population.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Took the family to Piccallo millonos (spelling?) Friday night, buffet, lots of exposier. There were two officers eating at the time, I noticed the one checking me out as I walked in but that was it. After he glanced at me there was no other . I think they got the memo.

If this is Milano's Pizza on Hwy 68 (next to Priscilla's) then you are lucky you were not detained & stripped of your gun. Milano's Pizza Buffet serves beer and wine, thus making it illegal to carry a firearm there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk