• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

Carry24/7

Orange GOP is meeting in Carbororo(another set of rules of which a 686 applies!) in an unofficial meeting to allow the resident of the southern portion of the county to meet. I will be in the Orange Water and Sewer Authority....It should be marked outside the door right?
Thanks
cw

I would say it SHOULD be but if your going to carry you should know where you can and can't carry. I know for a fact you can't carry in ANY federal building but I know not all are posted at the door. I've been to restaurants that serve alcohol and they aren't posted. Didn't realize until I walked in and then looked again for a sign that's not there.

smlawrence

I would say it SHOULD be but if your going to carry you should know where you can and can't carry. I know for a fact you can't carry in ANY federal building but I know not all are posted at the door. I've been to restaurants that serve alcohol and they aren't posted. Didn't realize until I walked in and then looked again for a sign that's not there.

I might be wrong but I don't think the locations that are listed in the statutes are required to have a sign as well.

seaweaver

all other Gov buildings in the municipal district have signs....interestingly enough most say no concealed not No weapons. Now...either they do not mind OC...or they did not think anyone "brash" enough to oc...
Carboro code says gun must be 6" or greater....and the 686 fits that...but it may be an excuse to take the RBH in 44 w/ the bullet belt and let there be no measuring!

cw

Glock19fan

another OC report

OCd in Dunn today. Ate at the Bojangles with the family...think a may have got a look or two but nothing crazy. Then stopped by the IGA in Coats and once again no issues. So far so good but havent tried at Wal Mart or anything like that yet. May try tomorrow.

E.J.

Carry24/7

OCd in Dunn today. Ate at the Bojangles with the family...think a may have got a look or two but nothing crazy. Then stopped by the IGA in Coats and once again no issues. So far so good but havent tried at Wal Mart or anything like that yet. May try tomorrow.

E.J.

Actually most OCers start out with Walmart because they are so gun friendly. I've heard it called the Wally Walk.

Oops guess the wally walk is for CC but guess the same could go for OC.

Last edited:

Glock19fan

OC Wal Mart

Actually most OCers start out with Walmart because they are so gun friendly. I've heard it called the Wally Walk.

Oops guess the wally walk is for CC but guess the same could go for OC.[/QUOTE

I was worried about going there at first but not so much any more. I really dont go there too often, but will OC the next time I go there.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
OC today at Thomas McAlister Winget Park in Mecklenburg county. There was one guy riding around the parking lot on some bizarre three wheel scooter where the wheels cambered over as he swayed the thing back and forth to make it go.
trikke-sub-t8a-m.gif
He really seemed to stand out since there were NO OTHER adults there without children.

Anyway, as I was walking across the parking lot to get from my car back to where my boys were playing to bring them their coats and hats, I was watching him fold up his scooter to put it away in his Mitsu 3000GT. He said "Hey" and then asked me, "Are you a cop or something?" I gave him a one-word "No" answer and kept on moving. Whether he would have seen some benefit from OC education or not, I didn't feel like getting chatty with him. He just stood out like a sore thumb since it seemed like he wasn't really all that into riding his scooter and seemed to be there more for scoping out the people in the park than any other reason.

This was, by far, the strangest encounter I've had in around 18 months of carrying.

Attachments

• trikke-sub-moreviews.gif
    trikke-sub-moreviews.gif
    547 bytes · Views: 404
Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Google Wally Walk. Everything that comes up talks about doing it while CCing.

Not hardly - Goggle is not always your friend.

Going back nearly to the beginning of this forum, the "Wally Walk" has been a right of passage for new OCers. Still is. There are hundreds (thousands?) of posts on this forum attesting to this under various search terms.

http://eee.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?78397-Did-my-quot-Wally-Walk-quot-tonight

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/entry.php?113-Wally-walk-in-Jacksonville-N-C

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-couple-OC-n-in-Appleton&highlight=Wally-Walk

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ion-Signage-Requirements&highlight=Wally-Walk

1j9l9f0

Banned
Well I have been walking around New Bern like its cool. This weekend I have been inside the wal-mart again, bojangles, waffle house in New Bern, and Havelock. I can't recall everywhere I went, and I had my first run in with a gun buster sign, shame on me I can't remember where it was. Anyway, I will update the friend or foe site.

Carry24/7

Not hardly - Goggle is not always your friend.

Going back nearly to the beginning of this forum, the "Wally Walk" has been a right of passage for new OCers. Still is. There are hundreds (thousands?) of posts on this forum attesting to this under various search terms.

http://eee.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?78397-Did-my-quot-Wally-Walk-quot-tonight

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/entry.php?113-Wally-walk-in-Jacksonville-N-C

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-couple-OC-n-in-Appleton&highlight=Wally-Walk

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ion-Signage-Requirements&highlight=Wally-Walk

Ok so I stand corrected. It's not like I gave him bad advice about a law or something. My point was to let him know that Walmart should be the last place he should encounter any trouble. He made sound if Walmart was the ultimate test of carrying. When its usually the ice breaker for most people.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Ok so I stand corrected. It's not like I gave him bad advice about a law or something. My point was to let him know that Walmart should be the last place he should encounter any trouble. He made sound if Walmart was the ultimate test of carrying. When its usually the ice breaker for most people.

The reason I replied to your post was to dispel/refute any possible misinterpretation that Wal-Mart was CC only. People will read into things more than was intended.

To a new guy, every initial contemplation of OC is a major test. It is uncharted water to him and the bad occurrences he has read about are foremost in his mind - it actually takes some courage to OC alone the first few times.

The Wally Walk thing is frequently a bit tongue in check for the ol' timers. It is a symbol and a convenient one in that virtually every community has a Wally World.

1j9l9f0

Banned
The reason I replied to your post was to dispel/refute any possible misinterpretation that Wal-Mart was CC only. People will read into things more than was intended.

To a new guy, every initial contemplation of OC is a major test. It is uncharted water to him and the bad occurrences he has read about are foremost in his mind - it actually takes some courage to OC alone the first few times.

The Wally Walk thing is frequently a bit tongue in check for the ol' timers. It is a symbol and a convenient one in that virtually every community has a Wally World.

I did the wally walk atleast 3 time before I ventured into a friendly store. Then I just started going everywhere with it.

Now a side note. Here in new bern we have. Had an atm murder, a pizza hut robbed, and an armed mugging in one of the best parks around so I now have my wifes full support to carry as much as I want.

Bearfoot

I did the wally walk atleast 3 time before I ventured into a friendly store. Then I just started going everywhere with it.

Now a side note. Here in new bern we have. Had an atm murder, a pizza hut robbed, and an armed mugging in one of the best parks around so I now have my wifes full support to carry as much as I want.

I hear you on that one. My girlfriend tells me she feels much safer with me being armed. I just hope that New Bern doesn't start turning out like G'ville. There more you carry, the more natural and comfortable it will feel to you. Continue to OC.

papa bear

well i had my first Vehicle pull over since i have been on this forum. by one of MT. Airy's finest nothing serious, just out of date tag.

i had put my fire arm on the center console in the cab. so it was visible from all angles. i didn't declare because i felt it was in the open. he was affable and told me what i was pulled for and asked for my L&R. like a dummy i handed him my CHP with my licenses, he asked me where my gun was, so i don't think he even noticed till he seen the CHP. i pointed to the side (been keeping my hands on the wheel). he said, here's what i am going to do. i am going to go to the other side and take the gun. i said: i would rather you didn't , the safest place for it was right where it is and it shouldn't be handled. he was a little taking aback, but like i said we were both playing nice. he said "but i will give it back to you". i said "oh, i know you will, since it's all legal, but i rather you wouldn't. so then he says OK but please keep your hands where i can see them. i said i had full intentions of doing that anyway.

by the mirrors i could see him backing all the way to the patrol car. he ran everything and came back ( right past my gun saves lives sticker) with a warning ticket and told me to get it fixed. i told him i would and thanks for not demanding my firearm that i have had bad experiences with LEOs not handling them well. he said i should tell any officers that and i said well i don't get pulled often and don't get the practice.

he did have a ride along with him, so i wondered what that conversation was like. i thanked him for a good job and hope he would be safe. and i left. since i know the chief and mayor, i thought about dropping a note, telling them he did a good and professional job, though i am not going to mention the gun part since i don't know what the chief might say about that.

jag06

Papa, sounds like you had a good experience. Glad he did not force himself into your car and take the gun. Love Mt. Airy, most everyone is nice and easy going. Finally got to me the Sheriff a few times this summer and chat with him. Pro Carry, and believes more law abiding citizens with guns will reduce crime.

Northerner

Walking out of Harris Teeter, Wilson last night, OCing my G23 and mag pouch, and was asked by a women I passed if I was a LEO. I replied , "No" and she went back to packing her car. As we were returning our carts back in the corral, I asked why she asked "Was it because I was sooooo good looking?" She laughed and said she was curious because she saw a lot of cruisers and police up the road and reports about a MWAG. I said, "Really?" and stated, "Well, I am glad I am over here then." She said, "Me too."

Apparently last night in Wilson, a gentleman snapped and was threatening himself with a gun near the Wal Mart.

http://www.wilsontimes.com/News/Bre...est-Hills-Road--residents-urged-to-avoid-area

Just makes you think, you never know when or wehere.

Carry24/7

Walking out of Harris Teeter, Wilson last night, OCing my G23 and mag pouch, and was asked by a women I passed if I was a LEO. I replied , "No" and she went back to packing her car. As we were returning our carts back in the corral, I asked why she asked "Was it because I was sooooo good looking?" She laughed and said she was curious because she saw a lot of cruisers and police up the road and reports about a MWAG. I said, "Really?" and stated, "Well, I am glad I am over here then." She said, "Me too."

Apparently last night in Wilson, a gentleman snapped and was threatening himself with a gun near the Wal Mart.

http://www.wilsontimes.com/News/Bre...est-Hills-Road--residents-urged-to-avoid-area

Just makes you think, you never know when or wehere.

Yeah this is a bad time of year for a lot of people. If any time of the year this is the time to carry. People are on edge about life. The economy sucks and people are going to do what they feel necessary to make it. It's sad that it comes to what it does.