• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

JayT

Well, not much of an "experience" to most on here, but to this newb, it is... I was selling an engine on CL... When the potential buyer showed up, I went to the door with my trusty .45 on my hip, drove (he followed) to my shop, and ended up selling it... After the transaction was complete, he says "So, can I ask you why you carry that thing?"... I thought "Ruh Roh... Here we go..." I politely stated, that I carry everywhere that I can (especially if I don't know who it is answering a CL ad). He says "Me too... I carry one on the seat everywhere I go"... So, not only did I sell the engine & carried happily, but also had a decent 30 minute conversation about all things firearms! :banana:

First time being "questioned" by someone about carrying and it was GREAT! Whew. I need to carry more, and get over it... (I will be attending the Triangle OC lunch next month, I hope) :)

Large Caliber Kick

Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
Well, not much of an "experience" to most on here, but to this newb, it is... I was selling an engine on CL... When the potential buyer showed up, I went to the door with my trusty .45 on my hip, drove (he followed) to my shop, and ended up selling it... After the transaction was complete, he says "So, can I ask you why you carry that thing?"... I thought "Ruh Roh... Here we go..." I politely stated, that I carry everywhere that I can (especially if I don't know who it is answering a CL ad). He says "Me too... I carry one on the seat everywhere I go"... So, not only did I sell the engine & carried happily, but also had a decent 30 minute conversation about all things firearms! :banana:

First time being "questioned" by someone about carrying and it was GREAT! Whew. I need to carry more, and get over it... (I will be attending the Triangle OC lunch next month, I hope) :)

I'm glad this expierience worked out for you. This could just as easily turned out to be a horrifying expierience. (but let's not go there)

Props to you JayT for not worrying or caring about the possibility that the sight of your firearm may make him turn tail and abandon the sale. If I may make a suggestion, I make it a practice to carry the merchandise to the meeting point in a busy parking lot within easy view of a security camera or two for three reasons.

One, If something were to happen, I can tell the cops where to get the footage.

Two, the other party, if they have ill intent, is less likely to carry out their plan with alot of eye-witnesses.

Three, this avoids the need to bring a total stranger to my residence. Once they are on you property they may see something they want to come back for. (and may not be willing to pay for it.)

just my $.02

JayT

Thank you, Large Cal...

I understand the "neutral location" logic.... If I were selling something small and easily transportable, that would have definitely been where we met. But, since it was a 400 lb (+/-) engine sitting on my stand... It was a necessary evil. Should it not sell because of my firearm (and "potential warning system') - well, so be it... I don't want to do business with that type of person anyway. ;) I surely don't need the money "that bad" if they can't handle me protecting myself and family. (something almost all of us understand here, but not many else do).

I completely understand and appreciate your sentiment... I just couldn't apply it to this case. Funny thing is I told him that "Shoot, if I'd know that you had that collection of arms, we might could have traded something and saved us each some cash!"... Which we both laughed at..

I am so new to OC that I'm still getting used to the concept of people "approaching" me about it... this was refreshing. I hope I get a DVR for Christmas... or a Wally World gift card that I can buy one with. It'll make OCing so much more "comfortable" for me...

I'm glad this expierience worked out for you. This could just as easily turned out to be a horrifying expierience. (but let's not go there)

Props to you JayT for not worrying or caring about the possibility that the sight of your firearm may make him turn tail and abandon the sale. If I may make a suggestion, I make it a practice to carry the merchandise to the meeting point in a busy parking lot within easy view of a security camera or two for three reasons.

One, If something were to happen, I can tell the cops where to get the footage.

Two, the other party, if they have ill intent, is less likely to carry out their plan with alot of eye-witnesses.

Three, this avoids the need to bring a total stranger to my residence. Once they are on you property they may see something they want to come back for. (and may not be willing to pay for it.)

just my $.02

Last edited:

dashowdy

OC'ed at north hills mall

Oc'd there today and had no problems went into target to finish up my christmas shopping, and went into REI as well to look at getting a couple of emergency items, fire starter etc.... Everything went well walked past what I thought was a tree turned out to be a security guard in the front of target no evil looks or anything, was a little nervous though being inside the beltline.

Glock19fan

1ST time to OC in Wal Mart

Today I carried into walmart for the first time. Was a little nervous at first...double checking the doors once more and started what was to be an uneventful two hrs of Christmas shopping. I know that people saw it but dont think that any gave it much thought though, which was good. When I was in the check out line I was thinking "I am almost finished" like I was running a race or something. When I passed through the door it felt like it was a major accomplishment. Afterwards went to Game Stop and once again it was the same thing, no problem. This was in Dunn. So far have been in Fuquay, Dunn, and Coats with out an incident, and yes if you are wondering I am new to the OC thing.

rotorhead

Today I carried into walmart for the first time. Was a little nervous at first...double checking the doors once more and started what was to be an uneventful two hrs of Christmas shopping. I know that people saw it but dont think that any gave it much thought though, which was good. When I was in the check out line I was thinking "I am almost finished" like I was running a race or something. When I passed through the door it felt like it was a major accomplishment. Afterwards went to Game Stop and once again it was the same thing, no problem. This was in Dunn. So far have been in Fuquay, Dunn, and Coats with out an incident, and yes if you are wondering I am new to the OC thing.

lol- I love it.

Y'know, some might have a tendency to read these posts and think to themselves, "man what's with all the giddiness? Why does someone get all nervous and excited about simply carrying?"

I say, keep that zeal, that excitement, and that heightened awareness. Sure, some of the bells and whistles will dim over time and experience, but these feelings you get when OCing also help to keep you alive in a small but significant way. Your sense of awareness right now is at it's peak, which can only help to keep you out of trouble and aware of your surroundings.

Eventually, you'll come to lose that sense of getting away with something. It is, after all, completely legal to OC where allowed by law and by private business policy. The biggest change will come when you finally realize that 92% (a made up number based on my own experiences) of people could care less if you're carrying, and that's if they even notice in the first place. But, don't ever lose that sense of awareness, the sense of safety, and the sense of zeal for your 2A rights. Without knowing it, you may be silently encouraging others to seek out the laws involved, perhaps tweaking their own sense of curiosity. Maybe this will result in someone overcoming their own trepidation and having them carry eventually, as well.

We'll never know the silent impact of how we present ourselves in public. Try to relax and have a normal great time out there. Be confident that what you are doing is not only legal, but also it puts you in a position where you can defend yourself against attacks much more reliably than with no weapon at hand. In time, some of the cautiousness will begin to fade, but don't get trapped into sliding too far toward the other end of the spectrum. There's great danger in becoming too relaxed, too oblivious to those around you, and too comfortable when carrying in pubic.

Carry on, good sir, and have a great day.

importinvasion

lol- I love it.

Y'know, some might have a tendency to read these posts and think to themselves, "man what's with all the giddiness? Why does someone get all nervous and excited about simply carrying?"

I say, keep that zeal, that excitement, and that heightened awareness. Sure, some of the bells and whistles will dim over time and experience, but these feelings you get when OCing also help to keep you alive in a small but significant way. Your sense of awareness right now is at it's peak, which can only help to keep you out of trouble and aware of your surroundings.

Eventually, you'll come to lose that sense of getting away with something. It is, after all, completely legal to OC where allowed by law and by private business policy. The biggest change will come when you finally realize that 92% (a made up number based on my own experiences) of people could care less if you're carrying, and that's if they even notice in the first place. But, don't ever lose that sense of awareness, the sense of safety, and the sense of zeal for your 2A rights. Without knowing it, you may be silently encouraging others to seek out the laws involved, perhaps tweaking their own sense of curiosity. Maybe this will result in someone overcoming their own trepidation and having them carry eventually, as well.

We'll never know the silent impact of how we present ourselves in public. Try to relax and have a normal great time out there. Be confident that what you are doing is not only legal, but also it puts you in a position where you can defend yourself against attacks much more reliably than with no weapon at hand. In time, some of the cautiousness will begin to fade, but don't get trapped into sliding too far toward the other end of the spectrum. There's great danger in becoming too relaxed, too oblivious to those around you, and too comfortable when carrying in pubic.

Awesome post, well done +1

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Glock19fan

lol- I love it.

Thanks for the words and advice. I have been trying to OC and to quietly show others that it is ok to do it. You know it makes me wonder why law abiding citizens dont openly carrry more. In the area that I live I have never seen anyone OC. Maybe its that I have never just noticed before. You talk about the situational awarness..that is one thing that has increased..kinda reminds me of when I got home from Iraq but just a little different. I have enjoyed it and still am a rookie in regards to OCing but do feel better about doing it, our 2nd Amendment rights and protecting my family against the potential threats out there. I was out with my daughter today at the Shoe Show in Dunn and she said that she was a little nervouse with me OCing but I think that she forgot about it after about two minutes of looking for some new church shoes. I would like to go to OC meeting or get togather one day. Just need to find one thats not two or more hours away. Thanks again.

E.J.

Last edited:

lannie

Thanks for the words and advice. I have been trying to OC and to quietly show others that it is ok to do it. You know it makes me wonder why law abiding citizens dont openly carrry more. In the area that I live I have never seen anyone OC. Maybe its that I have never just noticed before. You talk about the situational awarness..that is one thing that has increased..kinda reminds me of when I got home from Iraq but just a little different. I have enjoyed it and still am a rookie in regards to OCing but do feel better about doing it, our 2nd Amendment rights and protecting my family against the potential threats out there. I was out with my daughter today at the Shoe Show in Dunn and she said that she was a little nervouse with me OCing but I think that she forgot about it after about two minutes of looking for some new church shoes. I would like to go to OC meeting or get togather one day. Just need to find one thats not two or more hours away. Thanks again.

E.J.

Glock19fan:
You are invited to a meetup in Clayton, not far from coats. We have a MEETUP at McCalls BBQ and Seafood on hwy 70.
Triangle open carry (TOC) will be meeting at 12:00 pm on Saturday January 14th.
We have a semi-private area where we can talk and you can meet others who open carry in the triangle area.
I try to have monthly meeting.
Go to www.meetup.com/triangle-open-carry and join up to see other meetings in the greater triangle area

Lannie TOC Event organizer

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Glock19fan:
You are invited to a meetup in Clayton, not far from coats. We have a MEETUP at McCalls BBQ and Seafood on hwy 70.
We have a semi-private area where we can talk and you can meet others who open carry in the triangle area.
Go to www.meetup/triangle-open-carry and join up to see other meetings in the greater triangle area

Your link doesn't work - got an error message.

Fix it and earn a stickie for the meeting. :D

smlawrence

Well, my wife, daughter and I spent 6hrs Christmas shopping... :banghead: I'm surprised I survived it. We hit (Kernersville) Kohl's & Walmart, (Greensboro) Kohls, some shoe store, Family Christian Store, Sheetz, Gander Mountain, Guitar Center. I think I got em all...lol. OC'ed in every one of them stores with not so much as a noticed glance. I honestly think noone even pays attention and that really is sad. Even if we can't teach them that its ok to OC, I wish there was a way to improve other people's situational awareness for their own good. This has to be the most necessary time of the year to be paying attention to those around you and to those who are paying their attention to you. But yet again a pretty uneventful day with the exception of an empty wallet for Christmas...lol.

Glock19fan

Glock19fan:
Go to www.meetup/triangle-open-carry and join up to see other meetings in the greater triangle area

Thanks for the invite and looking forward to it. I will see if I can get my father in law to go with me as well.

E.J.

dashowdy

oc'ed in secu on pacific drive and wake forest road

uneventful some funny looks but I was dressed nice and had my daughter with me as well, Not nearly as nervous as I thought I would be.

Chris Hamby

Came home the other night to see 8 or 9 police cruisers outside of my apartment with K-9 units an they were taking pics of my next door nabor's apartment while questioning them. "This should be interesting" I thought to myself. As I got out and was walking to the mail boxes a Cary P.D officer came rather close to hitting me when I walked around the curve. My strong side faceing him/her with my G22 I must admit I was a little nervous, but nothing was said, even when I stepped out to be a little nosey nothing was said even with my G22 on my hip with over 15 LEO's standing there.
Aparently some crack heads are running around breaking into people's houses not careing if they are home or not. So it gave me an excuse to go out and get a Remington 870 HD model with a 7 shot capacity:banana: So that's what I did.

dashowdy

yea doesn't get much better for home defense then a 12 ga. pump shotgun, I keep a benelli supernova tactical loaded with 00 2 3/4 buck, right next to my night stand, just the sound of racking a shell should scare most would be intruders off.

importinvasion

+1 on the shotgun. Yes my Glock goes with me when I go out, but the duty of home defense goes to my mossberg with buck. Only thing better than the sound of a shell going into battery, is the sound of a shot headed your way..........:monkey