• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

rotorhead

Thanks for the words and advice. I have been trying to OC and to quietly show others that it is ok to do it. You know it makes me wonder why law abiding citizens dont openly carrry more. In the area that I live I have never seen anyone OC. Maybe its that I have never just noticed before. You talk about the situational awarness..that is one thing that has increased..kinda reminds me of when I got home from Iraq but just a little different. I have enjoyed it and still am a rookie in regards to OCing but do feel better about doing it, our 2nd Amendment rights and protecting my family against the potential threats out there. I was out with my daughter today at the Shoe Show in Dunn and she said that she was a little nervouse with me OCing but I think that she forgot about it after about two minutes of looking for some new church shoes. I would like to go to OC meeting or get togather one day. Just need to find one thats not two or more hours away. Thanks again.

E.J.

There are several reasons why more do not OC, based on my own experiences talking with folks, along with other people's experiences. Some of these include many people simply not knowing that it's even legal in the first place. If you haven't already, you're almost sure to get questions from people that notice you carrying in this regard. "Is that legal?", "whoa, I didn't know you could just walk around like that", etc. These are prime opportunities to give people the facts about OC in North Carolina.

You can't force them to do anything they are not comfortable with, but at least you can arm them with the facts and let them decide whether or not it's right for them.

Encounters you'll experience will hopefully be good, but there can be people who aren't so supportive of you carrying. Personally, I could care less about what they think as they are not willing to take on teh role of personal security guard for me or my family. Until someone hops into that role, it's up to me. But still, they will come eventually. For the most part, it's people from states where oppressive gun laws has been the norm for a couple of generations now. They simply don't know of any other way to think of people carrying guns. It's been ingrained into their heads since birth. You can let them know it's legal 'til the cows come home, but it will not change their minds. Think of the same sort of brainwashing that goes on in North Korea, but to a smaller degree. It may not be their fault, but these are the ones that can kiss my ass. Again, if they want to assume the duty of protecting me and mine, I might entertain the thought of not carrying...but I doubt it.

In other cases, you'll run into folks from the same states, but yet they feel much differently, and eagerly carry today simply because they can after so many years of not being able to.

You also have people who, for whatever reason, simply do not believe others should carry in public. You also have little sub-groups made up of people who think that only people who've been through extensive training should be able to. Even still, you'll get some who think that you're stupid for openly carrying instead of carrying concealed. Whatever the reason, there will always be some people who won't give up a chance to speak their minds and give you their opinions. Some times I put up with it and other times I make it clear that it's my desire for them to piss off and die- I could care less.

I won't even dwell on interactions with LEOs. That's a whole other set of circumstances. Let's just say that there's some that get it and some that don't. React accordingly and save yourself some trouble down the line.

But hey, that's just me. I try to keep to myself...live and let live, as it may be.

Just know that you have taken a positive step in regards to protecting yourself and your family. If others don't want to carry and feel that waiting for the police to show up long after an assault has taken place is the best personal defense plan for them, more power to 'em. I have no problems with not intervening to help. For you, you have take steps to not let others take your life. Cheers to you. Your family appreciates it more than even they know.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
+1 on the shotgun. Yes my Glock goes with me when I go out, but the duty of home defense goes to my mossberg with buck. Only thing better than the sound of a shell going into battery, is the sound of a shot headed your way..........:monkey

Always bothers me more than a bit when someone jokes about shooting someone. To me it is not to be taken lightly - it's extremely serious business that. Nothing there to celebrate.

Might suggest that the very best is never having to fire in self-defense.

Glock19fan

There are several reasons why more do not OC, based on my own experiences talking with folks, along with other people's experiences. Some of these include many people simply not knowing that it's even legal in the first place. If you haven't already, you're almost sure to get questions from people that notice you carrying in this regard. "Is that legal?", "whoa, I didn't know you could just walk around like that", etc. These are prime opportunities to give people the facts about OC in North Carolina.

You can't force them to do anything they are not comfortable with, but at least you can arm them with the facts and let them decide whether or not it's right for them.

Encounters you'll experience will hopefully be good, but there can be people who aren't so supportive of you carrying. Personally, I could care less about what they think as they are not willing to take on teh role of personal security guard for me or my family. Until someone hops into that role, it's up to me. But still, they will come eventually. For the most part, it's people from states where oppressive gun laws has been the norm for a couple of generations now. They simply don't know of any other way to think of people carrying guns. It's been ingrained into their heads since birth. You can let them know it's legal 'til the cows come home, but it will not change their minds. Think of the same sort of brainwashing that goes on in North Korea, but to a smaller degree. It may not be their fault, but these are the ones that can kiss my ass. Again, if they want to assume the duty of protecting me and mine, I might entertain the thought of not carrying...but I doubt it.

In other cases, you'll run into folks from the same states, but yet they feel much differently, and eagerly carry today simply because they can after so many years of not being able to.

You also have people who, for whatever reason, simply do not believe others should carry in public. You also have little sub-groups made up of people who think that only people *2+
\6who've been through extensive training should be able to. Even still, you'll get some who think that you're stupid for openly carrying instead of carrying concealed. Whatever the reason, there will always be some people who won't give up a chance to speak their minds and give you their opinions. Some times I put up with it and other times I make it clear that it's my desire for them to piss off and die- I could care less.

I won't even dwell on interactions with LEOs. That's a whole other set of circumstances. Let's just say that there's some that get it and some that don't. React accordingly and save yourself some trouble down the line.

But hey, that's just me. I try to keep to myself...live and let live, as it may be.

Just know that you have taken a positive step in regards to protecting yourself and your family. If others don't want to carry and feel that waiting for the police to show up long after an assault has taken place is the best personal defense plan for them, more power to 'em. I have no problems with not intervening to help. For you, you have take steps to not let others take your life. Cheers to you. Your family appreciates it more than even they know.

WOW! I dont think that anyone could have put it into perspective any better than what you did there. I think others need to read that and it will make one think about OCing in a different way. Thanks for the support, and insight on this.

E.J.

muccione

You also have people who, for whatever reason, simply do not believe others should carry in public. You also have little sub-groups made up of people who think that only people who've been through extensive training should be able to. Even still, you'll get some who think that you're stupid for openly carrying instead of carrying concealed. Whatever the reason, there will always be some people who won't give up a chance to speak their minds and give you their opinions. Some times I put up with it and other times I make it clear that it's my desire for them to piss off and die- I could care less.

Very well put... I also let the anti's know that I promise to NEVER use my firearm to protect them.

importinvasion

Very well said. I actually came from one of those very restrictive states. And yes, it is such a pleasure to oc and know that I am legally protecting myself and my family. As of today, my experiences have been positive, and hoepfully will continue to be. Carry on, and be safe...

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

michaelleal01

open carry in fayetteville

I have been open carrying in fayetteville for a couple weeks now with no problems. Tonight I OC'd at Golden Corral. I walked in with my wife and 2 toddlers and since we had just been there a few nights before the front attendant recognized us and greeted us, after I paid he finally noticed my Springfield XdM 3.8 in and asked me if I was a police officer as I was walking away, I turned and said No. Then the older customer behind me asked well are you a corrections officer? I replied No again, then he asked Are you just exercising your right to carry? I said YES and explained the state law. I sat down with my family to eat and while walking to get a plate the manager asks me to step to the side to talk. He asks if I have a CHL? I do, I then explained that I could not completely conceal my handgun with the clothes I was wearing so I needed to open carry, I then tried to school him up on the laws and he stared that he already knew them.He started to tell me about how this was a family oriented restaurant and I interrupted and told him I would take my gun back to my truck if anyone felt uncomfortable, he said that wouldn't be necessary but if any of the customers asked me I should tell them I was a police officer! ! As I walked back to my table he asked You are military right? I said yes and sat down. We finished our meal and left with no further questioning .. Quite an interesting night but I did wonder if it would ha e been legal to follow his advice and false fully say I was a policeman.... any comments?

Last edited:

Doble Troble

Never say anything but the truth...

A smile and nothing said is as close to lying as a responsible citizen should come.

If you've got a gun, you've got to be trustworthy.

Rick H

I have been open carrying in fayetteville for a couple weeks now with no problems. Tonight I PC's at Golden Corral. I walked in with my wife and 2 toddlers and since we had just been there a few nights before the front attendant recognized us and greeted us, after I paid he finally noticed my Springfield XdM 3.8 in and asked me if I was a police officer as I was walking away, I turned and said No. Then the older customer behind me asked well are you a corrections officer? I replied No again, then he asked Are you just exercising your right to carry? I said YES and explained the state law. I sat down with my family to eat and while walking to get a plate the manager asks me to step to the side to talk. He asks if I have a CHL? I do, I then explained that I could not completely conceal my handgun with the clothes I was wearing so I needed to open carry, I then tried to school him up on the laws and he stared that he already knew them.He started to tell me about how this was a family oriented restaurant and I interrupted and told him I would take my gun back to my truck if anyone felt uncomfortable, he said that wouldn't be necessary but if any of the customers asked me I should tell them I was a police officer! ! As I walked back to my table he asked You are military right? I said yes and sat down. We finished our meal and left with no further questioning .. Quite an interesting night but I did wonder if it would ha e been legal to follow his advice and false fully say I was a policeman.... any comments?

Normally it would only be a misdemeanor to impersonate a police officer under Michigan Law. But because you have in your possession a firearm then it would be construed as a felony. (Any time while in the commission of a crime and you have a firearm). I believe this is to be true.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/2003august_72937_7.PDF

Last edited:

Carry24/7

I have been open carrying in fayetteville for a couple weeks now with no problems. Tonight I PC's at Golden Corral. I walked in with my wife and 2 toddlers and since we had just been there a few nights before the front attendant recognized us and greeted us, after I paid he finally noticed my Springfield XdM 3.8 in and asked me if I was a police officer as I was walking away, I turned and said No. Then the older customer behind me asked well are you a corrections officer? I replied No again, then he asked Are you just exercising your right to carry? I said YES and explained the state law. I sat down with my family to eat and while walking to get a plate the manager asks me to step to the side to talk. He asks if I have a CHL? I do, I then explained that I could not completely conceal my handgun with the clothes I was wearing so I needed to open carry, I then tried to school him up on the laws and he stared that he already knew them.He started to tell me about how this was a family oriented restaurant and I interrupted and told him I would take my gun back to my truck if anyone felt uncomfortable, he said that wouldn't be necessary but if any of the customers asked me I should tell them I was a police officer! ! As I walked back to my table he asked You are military right? I said yes and sat down. We finished our meal and left with no further questioning .. Quite an interesting night but I did wonder if it would ha e been legal to follow his advice and false fully say I was a policeman.... any comments?

I would not listen to him about telling people I was a Law Enforement Officer. I'm sure if something went down and folks say you ID'd yourself as such you could be charged with impersonating a police officer. I would have told him that I'm not doing that and I would be glad to take my business else where. You don't want to be there and someone you told that your a LEO comes to you to enforce a law that you can't.

rotorhead

Without a doubt, do not ever tell someone you are a LEO if you are not. If caught, you will be charged and most likely convicted. This isn't one of those charges that the DA is willing to bargain with.

The manager was an idiot if he suggested this to you. Don't let them get away with the "this is a family place" excuse. It's nothing more than a mask to cover cowardice in a position of leadership. How is being armed to protect your family not a family friendly act? The manager was trying to act like he was cool about the situation but setting up a false front of an excuse in case anyone complained.

Ask them flat out if they would like you to leave. If not, excuse yourself from his presence and have a great meal. If they hesitate at all, leave and contact their corporate offices to clear the matter up. You can be sensitive to their positions but that only goes so far. Make them make a decision and then stand by it. The whole thing will get cleared up one way or the other.

Which Golden Corral was this- Skibo Rd or Ramsey St? I've carried in both for many years and have never had even so much as a dirty look in either one.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Normally it would only be a misdemeanor to impersonate a police officer under Michigan Law. But because you have in your possession a firearm then it would be construed as a felony. (Any time while in the commission of a crime and you have a firearm). I believe this is to be true.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/2003august_72937_7.PDF

That is all well and good, but michaelleal01 is in NC not Michigan. :p

The NC statute may be reviewed here and clearly makes the act illegal:
http://law.onecle.com/north-carolina/14-criminal-law/14-277.html

smlawrence

Definately don't want to impersonate an officer. When I first started OC'ing, I have asked if they wanted me to place my gun in my truck. BUT NOW, after carrying close to 2yrs, I would of asked if they wanted me, my family, and my money to leave. Guess the longer I carry, the less I care about what one thinks.

muccione

michaelleal01

FIRST. Thank-you to you and your family for you service and sacrifices.

NEVER say you are anything other than what you are. Someone asks you questions you dont like ignore them or just say have a nice day. Or say "I am a US SOLDIER, is that OK?
Carry-On.

smlawrence

But he REALLY loves Golden Corral! I mean, twice in one week kind of love! What if the manager said "Yes, leave!" Then he would be screwed! haha

LOL... Yea I don't like those buffet places cause I can't eat enough food to equal what I would be paying to eat there. But I do know some guys that make the managers cringe when they go in cause they are definately getting their moneys worth when they sit to eat...haha.

Northerner

I get the LEO question all the time and of course tell them "No Ma'm" or No Sir." However, it still has gotten me a lot of "POLICE discounts" even after I tell them.?? I quoted this because it actually comes up on the register's screen and some times the receipt.

Glock19fan

It sounds like you handled yourself well. I havent yet had to deal with anything like that yet but sure it will happen. I dont go to Fayetteville very much and would be kinda leary on OCing there because of the amount of people there, but from what I hear not too many people have had any real issues. Im stationed at Bragg but live in between there and Rleigh. Have carried in Dunn, Coats, Fuquay and Erwin with no problems. Are you going to the meeting in Clayton on the 14th?

bc.cruiser

I do, I then explained that I could not completely conceal my handgun with the clothes I was wearing so I needed to open carry, ... any comments?

You are under no obligation to ensure your CC weapon is totally unseen. If it can be seen/identified, then that qualifies it as an OC gun. If you have your CHP with you, feel free to partially or fully cover the gun; you are legal no matter how the LEO "sees" it. This way you can reduce the public-at-large questioning and still wear comfy attire.

Last edited:

michaelleal01

You are under no obligation to ensure your CC weapon is totally unseen. If it can be seen/identified, then that qualifies it as an OC gun. If you have your CHP with you, feel free to partially or fully cover the gun; you are legal no matter how the LEO "sees" it. This way you can reduce the public-at-large questioning and still wear comfy attire.

Thanks for the many replies and advice guys. It was at Golden Corral on Ramsey st. I appoligize for the grammar, i wrote the entire post from a phone. Cruiser do you know any website where I can research the laws specifically for fayetteville? I am from Texas and carry a Texas CHL and the laws there are strict about being totally concealed, ie if somebody sees your weapon you can go to jail for public display of a handgun .. it does make it hard to wear clothes that actually fit. But thankfully if what you say is true I would be much more comfortable and more likely to carry everyday.

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

1. http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2011/Bills/House/PDF/H650v5.pdf
This is amendments to the various sections of our gun laws which became effective 1 Dec 2011.

2. http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/statutes/StatutesTOC.pl?Chapter=0014
This site is NC General Statutes. Chapter 14, Criminal Law, contains most of the gun information. Read 14-34,
14-51, Articles 35, 52, 53, 54A & 54B.

3. http://ncja.ncdoj.gov/Publications.aspx
The publications listed here give the AG's viewpoint of the gun laws.

4. http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientid=10733
Here are the city ordinances. Chapter 17-4, 18-7, 24-284.

5. Unlike Texas, NC is an Open Carry state that permits CC. In that light, it cannot be unlawful for your gun to be visible. Having it concealed without the permit is illegal.

There are also some major court cases which may affect any interaction between you and the LE community, but those can be found in other posts.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: