• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

spiderjohn

{snip)
He asks if I have a CHL? I do, I then explained that I could not completely conceal my handgun with the clothes I was wearing so I needed to open carry, I then tried to school him up on the laws and he stared that he already knew them.He started to tell me about how this was a family oriented restaurant and I interrupted and told him I would take my gun back to my truck if anyone felt uncomfortable, he said that wouldn't be necessary but if any of the customers asked me I should tell them I was a police officer! ! As I walked back to my table he asked You are military right? I said yes and sat down. We finished our meal and left with no further questioning .. Quite an interesting night but I did wonder if it would ha e been legal to follow his advice and false fully say I was a policeman.... any comments?

1) I would say it's a CHP in NC just because...well, that's what it is called.
2) I would never offer to take my gun back to my vehicle just because someone felt uncomfortable. I'd leave first.
3) I'd write Golden Corral and tell them one of their managers was telling me I should break the law in his restaurant to 'cover' for something I was legally doing....:banghead:

rotorhead

I wouldn't have answered any of his stupid questions. It's none of his business whether or not I have a CHP. It's none of his business whether my clothes could cover all of my gun or not. The only part of my life that is his business is whether or not I can come inside while carrying. He's obviously the one that can make that decision so I'd simply ask him that. If yes, I'd tell him to bring me a glass of sweet tea and have him take the rest of my family's orders for drinks and then move on to the table. If not, I'd leave.

Done.

As a follow up I might even contact their corporate offices to report the matter and get, yet again, confirmation that it's ok to carry in Golden Corral.

Last edited:

bigl0af

Open carried in ABC store, flowers plantation, in Clayton. Guy told me, after I checked out, that guns were not permitted. Seeing as this is a state run store I'm not sure if prohibiting arms is legal or not, and the guy said there used to be a sign up. Perhaps he should put it back up while I look into the legality of such a prohibition?

Thoughts anyone?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Open carried in ABC store, flowers plantation, in Clayton. Guy told me, after I checked out, that guns were not permitted. Seeing as this is a state run store I'm not sure if prohibiting arms is legal or not, and the guy said there used to be a sign up. Perhaps he should put it back up while I look into the legality of such a prohibition?

Thoughts anyone?

Definitely think they can...maybe. :uhoh:

This was hashed out over on DCDC earlier in the year. Didn't really seem to be resolved conclusively though.
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...-discussions/120654-abc-liquor-stores-nc.html

M

mattwestm

Thoughts anyone?

See the recent thread "ABC store open carry?"

bc.cruiser

Thoughts anyone?

This was posted as a separate thread. It is not operated by state employees; your local ABC board operates the enterprise and has the say-so. If it's not posted, OC/CC is OK. If posted, then go with the posting.

Northerner

Thoughts anyone?

The "Guy" was he an employee? I live near there and have OCed in there numerous times, and it's never been posted, with no issues. I wonder if this guy came from the Clayton Rt 70 ABC where it is posted. That sucks if they are posting now. I'll check this weekend.

bigl0af

The "Guy" was he an employee? I live near there and have OCed in there numerous times, and it's never been posted, with no issues. I wonder if this guy came from the Clayton Rt 70 ABC where it is posted. That sucks if they are posting now. I'll check this weekend.

yes he was an employee - older white guy that seems to be working there every time I go there...

bigl0af

OK I talked to a lady at the Johnson county ABC board and she said that the store policies are set by the board, they do have a policy prohibiting firearms, and that the commission is a county government agency. I told her I would take this issue to the ballot box, and that it would be nice if they posted this at the door.

MidnighToker

Laughing at the "giddyness" thing over here. Have only OC'd a few times and they were mostly Walmart and Harris Teeter where I knew I was clear. Was still a bit giddy after "getting out clean" LOL.

Am actually on here today checking to see if there's been any issues with Target since that's the destination. My problem is that I have a Jeep with a soft top, so no where to put it if I have to stash it. Planning on getting a lock box for the Jeep, but the only one large enough to hold my 6" Tracker was one that has popped up at CTD a few times, but both times that I went to grab it, they were sold out.

Am planning on re-opening the CCW PITA once I get some cash flowing...prolly tax refund. I have a lawyer telling me that I should use him to "back me" to apply, of course with a $1500 retainer. Figure I'll hold off on him for an appeal if necessary since I'll have letters from plenty of other sources backing me.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
Am actually on here today checking to see if there's been any issues with Target since that's the destination. My problem is that I have a Jeep with a soft top, so no where to put it if I have to stash it. Planning on getting a lock box for the Jeep, but the only one large enough to hold my 6" Tracker was one that has popped up at CTD a few times, but both times that I went to grab it, they were sold out.

I have shopped at Target in Concord/Kannapolis many times while OC -- no problems. Also OC yesterday in Concord Mills Mall at Best Buy, Bed Bath & Beyond and Bass Pro Shops with no problems.

cricketdad

Laughing at the "giddyness" thing over here. Have only OC'd a few times and they were mostly Walmart and Harris Teeter where I knew I was clear. Was still a bit giddy after "getting out clean" LOL.

Am planning on re-opening the CCW PITA once I get some cash flowing...prolly tax refund. I have a lawyer telling me that I should use him to "back me" to apply, of course with a $1500 retainer. Figure I'll hold off on him for an appeal if necessary since I'll have letters from plenty of other sources backing me.

What do you mean "back me"? You don't need letters of recommendation for a permit.

MidnighToker

+1 for today

Was at Target on Battleground/Lawndale in Greensboro for well over an hour. Didn't even notice if anyone took notice or not except for the one guy towards the end that came up to shake my hand to say "Thanks man. I wish more people would open carry."

That even put a smile on my 10yo daughters face. She's gun shy in general. Trying to get her over that. Explained all the things that would have to occur for an accidental firing. (Wish there were more...not too many safeties built into a 357 revolver, but she is well aware of how hard that trigger needs to be pulled unless the hammer is cocked.) It's mainly just because she can't take any of the TV violence and such...well that and from being raised most of her life in NJ where guns are taboo anywhere off your property. She knows how to shoot and has a few hundred rounds in at the range. Mostly 22, but I have had her shoot my 357 (had a 38 loaded, but she didn't know that) just because if it's around, she needs to know it.

MidnighToker

What do you mean "back me"? You don't need letters of recommendation for a permit.

There's some issues involved here. Was issued my CCW, but had it revoked shortly after because some "records came to their attention". (Very weird in itself because when I've been pulled over, they ask my if I am carrying so I am still in the system as having a permit) Complete BS as agreed by 4 separate lawyers, but unless I want to fork up a few grand to go to the court of appeals it's easier to just re-apply and have counter-arguments to their records already in place.

trooper46

*sighs* I'd OC more often if this state would "get with it" on restaurant carry. I've almost broken the law 4 times now but caught myself at the door (i.e noticed certain advertisements).

Guess I'm spoiled from home laws

bc.cruiser

There's some issues involved here. Was issued my CCW, but had it revoked shortly after because some "records came to their attention". (Very weird in itself because when I've been pulled over, they ask my if I am carrying so I am still in the system as having a permit) Complete BS as agreed by 4 separate lawyers, but unless I want to fork up a few grand to go to the court of appeals it's easier to just re-apply and have counter-arguments to their records already in place.

Did the SO provide you a written explanation of the revocation? If so, do the legwork to gather documentation and then go to the district court clerk to find out how you can appeal. The procedure and forms may be online. There may be a deadline, but if the SO hasn't yet given written notice you may have leeway. Good luck.

bc.cruiser

OC in Fayetteville

Stepped out of Barnes & Noble yesterday and had to wait for traffic to clear. A car came to a stop at a speed bump, so I moved out. Two men coming the other way called out "Yeah, stop for the cop!". They looked real surprised when I told them I not a cop.
Later, I was talking to a lady in Food Lion when she exclaimed "Oh, my goodness". What? "I just saw your side". Wise acre that I am, I then looked down at my LEFT side ( I carry RH) and said 'What about my side?' She then laughed and said she was glad there were people who did carry around here.:lol:

WM, Food Lion, Target, Michaels, Marshalls, Barnes and Noble, JC Penney (CC), Gander Mtn, Dicks, AC Moore, Best Buy: no problem.
ABC store no weapons allowed (OC/CC).

Last edited:

Glock19fan

OCd at Bojangles and at the Wal Mart in Fuquay on Christmas Eve and didnt have any issues, which was good. I know that there were folks that saw my Glock but none gave me any funny looks or gave it much thought. When OCing I try to dress casualy so as too take away some of the alarm that it might give folks by wearing nicer buttoned up shirts and nice jeans. Makes me feel a little better in the process as well. I think that this is the way I will dress until I get my CC permit. Hope you all had a good Christmas and have a good New Year.

E.J.

merc460

1) I would say it's a CHP in NC just because...well, that's what it is called.
2) I would never offer to take my gun back to my vehicle just because someone felt uncomfortable. I'd leave first.
3) I'd write Golden Corral and tell them one of their managers was telling me I should break the law in his restaurant to 'cover' for something I was legally doing....:banghead:

Exactly what I would have done.

rotorhead

OCd at Bojangles and at the Wal Mart in Fuquay on Christmas Eve and didnt have any issues, which was good. I know that there were folks that saw my Glock but none gave me any funny looks or gave it much thought. When OCing I try to dress casualy so as too take away some of the alarm that it might give folks by wearing nicer buttoned up shirts and nice jeans. Makes me feel a little better in the process as well. I think that this is the way I will dress until I get my CC permit. Hope you all had a good Christmas and have a good New Year.

E.J.

Dress like Dee Snyder from Twisted Sister if you feel like it. Be yourself, relax, and enjoy life.

When it comes right down to it, if someone's going to hassle you for carrying a gun, it's not going to matter what you're wearing, how nice you are, or whether you just laid your jacket down so granny could walk on it over a puddle. None of that is going to matter.

My advice, be yourself. Never compromise your integrity for the fleeting hope that someone else might approve. Most people's approval is wholly dependent on the current political winds, anyway.