• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

ArmySoldier22

ps: oh, armor'd vehicle driver kinda phreaked out and immediately got on the radio while parked in front of gander mtn as i was leaving...lol

Lol I was out on the bike the other day, and I was sitting right next to an armored truck. I could literally feel his eyes staring at me lol, and when we got up to the next stoplight, he stayed a full cars length behind me in his lane. I thought it was kinda funny lol.

JayT

the excitement of OC got me confused...Dicks it was...

wabbit

You had me all giddy with excitement thinking that I had (somehow) missed the whole "Gander Mtn coming to White Oak" thread!

Although, all is not lost... From what I understand, we're getting a Gander... It'll be in Cary (Park West Village, or whatever it's called).

s&w_M&P_owner

Had my first negative OC experience yesterday. I went to the local Sears outlet store to pick up some fuel stabilizer for my Husqvarna tractor. I first looked outside to check for any signs posted, and there were none. I walk in, and the guy asked me if I needed any help, and I told him I was looking for fuel stabilizer. Everything seemed fine. When we get to where the fuel stabilizer is, the guy looks at me and tells me "I don't know if you know this or not, but this is supposed to be a No-Carry zone." I said "So, am I being asked to leave?" He said "No, I just didn't know if you knew it or not. We usually have a sign up, but it got ripped or something, so we can't enforce it" and then laughed. I just stood there and looked at him. The only reason I even bough the fuel stabilizer there after what he told me was because I was in a hurry and couldn't run across town to Lowe's or Saunder's Hardware, and needed it quickly. I picked it up, left, and when I got home, I emailed Sears' corporate office. I explained what happened, and told them because of what happened and because they've decided to ban guns in their stores, I would be taking my business to Lowe's and Saunder's Hardware, and would continue to do so until they allow the carry of firearms in their stores.

So to all my fellow Reidsville OCers, the Sears Outlet store on Freeway Dr. is a NO-CARRY zone, even though there are no signs posted.

Last edited:

chiefjason

FWIW, I've never had a negative experience in Sears. I went in before Christmas, right at closing, and dealt with at least 3 different employees and had 2 more check to see if I needed anything. Nobody said a word. Maybe it's just that store.

Went to Mama's pizza in Hickory a week ago. I was OC'ing in my DIY leather OWB holster. One of the owners asked what I had on my. So I turned so he could see it. He responds with "Cool, I like M&P's" and lifts up his shirt. Talked to both of the owners about guns, OC, CC, laws, and politics till some more customers came in. Both guys are from NY but they are very pro gun. Even give discounts to members of the local indoor range. To top it off I think it's the best pizza in Hickory too!

s&w_M&P_owner

chiefjason,

It may be just that store. This one is just an outlet store, so they only sell lawn & garden equipment/accessories, tools, and appliances. I'm waiting to hear back from the Sears corporate office.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Had my first negative OC experience yesterday. I went to the local Sears outlet store to pick up some fuel stabilizer for my Husqvarna tractor. I first looked outside to check for any signs posted, and there were none. I walk in, and the guy asked me if I needed any help, and I told him I was looking for fuel stabilizer. Everything seemed fine. When we get to where the fuel stabilizer is, the guy looks at me and tells me "I don't know if you know this or not, but this is supposed to be a No-Carry zone." I said "So, am I being asked to leave?" He said "No, I just didn't know if you knew it or not. We usually have a sign up, but it got ripped or something, so we can't enforce it" and then laughed. I just stood there and looked at him. The only reason I even bough the fuel stabilizer there after what he told me was because I was in a hurry and couldn't run across town to Lowe's or Saunder's Hardware, and needed it quickly. I picked it up, left, and when I got home, I emailed Sears' corporate office. I explained what happened, and told them because of what happened and because they've decided to ban guns in their stores, I would be taking my business to Lowe's and Saunder's Hardware, and would continue to do so until they allow the carry of firearms in their stores.

So to all my fellow Reidsville OCers, the Sears Outlet store on Freeway Dr. is a NO-CARRY zone, even though there are no signs posted.

Not sure I'd consider the oulet "unfriendly." There is no sign, you weren't asked to leave - seems like it might have been an isolated issue. Good to follow up with corporate though. For myself, I have never had a problem in any Sears or K-Mart (parent company) stores in any state.

NCBobD

Was this a corporate owned store or one of the many Franchise stores that are out there? Franchise stores are privately owned and usually only stock basic hard-lines items and accessories (appliances, lawn & garden). Sears corporate policy does not restrict customers from carrying in thier stores, but does not allow employees to do so. This has been hashed out elsewhere on a number of occassions. A franchise, on the other hand, may or may not be bound by company policy.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Was this a corporate owned store or one of the many Franchise stores that are out there? Franchise stores are privately owned and usually only stock basic hard-lines items and accessories (appliances, lawn & garden). Sears corporate policy does not restrict customers from carrying in thier stores, but does not allow employees to do so. This has been hashed out elsewhere on a number of occassions. A franchise, on the other hand, may or may not be bound by company policy.

Wasn't aware that Sears even had franchise stores - learned something today.
http://www.ownasearsstore.com/retail-franchise-faqs.php

chiefjason

chiefjason,

It may be just that store. This one is just an outlet store, so they only sell lawn & garden equipment/accessories, tools, and appliances. I'm waiting to hear back from the Sears corporate office.

Let us know what they say. I'm always interested in the official stance. FWIW, most Sears that are anchor stores are not posted against carry; even though the mall is generally against carry. I think that speaks to what their corporate answer will likely be. I always reserve the right to be wrong though, lol.

s&w_M&P_owner

This Sears sounds like a franchise store then. All this one sells is lawn & garden equipment (I bought my Husqvarna tractor new there last year), appliances, and tools. I still haven't heard anything back from corporate about this, but I will post back here with their response when I do.

FlyBoy276

4/1/12

Me, my neighbor, and his girlfriend are in my livingroom enjoying the PS3. My neighbor nudges me and jokingly says, "Uh oh, its a raid!". I look out the front window and there are Interceptors everywhere, and 3 of Raleigh's finest walking up to the door. :eek:

I answered. What follows is not a direct transcript, as I didn't have my recorder running at the time (I turn it on as the last thing I do before leaving the house).

Officer #1: Good afternoon, sir. How are you?
Me: Im ok, what's going on?
Officer #1: We're here responding to a call about shots in the area, and you're known to carry a firearm (say wha? lol..), so we're here to investigate the matter.
Me: So, Im "known" to carry a firearm, and that means that whenever someone hear's a loud noise, its me?
Officers #2&3: *laughs*
Officer #1: No, we're just conducting an investigation in to gunfire, so the person with a firearm would be a good person to talk to. I also see that your hammer is cocked back, which leads me to believe that it was recently fired.
Me: Um..its a 1911. Its meant to be carried in condition 1.
Officer: #1: Well, I dont know that.
Officer #2: Who do you work with?
Me: What does it matter?
Officer #2: *laughs and shrugs* I dunno, just wondering.
Officer #1: May I see your pistol to check if it has been recently fired?
Me: No.
Officer #3: *throws neck backward with arms folded in shocked amusement*
Officer #2: *laughs*
Officer #1: *sounding confused* No?
Me: No, and I don't consent to any illegal seizure of my property, either.
Officer #1: Sir, there's nothing illegal about asking to check your weapon. It's just a little suspicious that someone would report gunfire at this location and you have a gun on you, at the time. This isn't the first time there have been reports of gunfire at this location, either.
Me: Oh?
Officer #1: Yes..would you like me to show you?
Me: No, as that has nothing to do with me. Ive also been here with my next door neighbor playing video games for the past hour or so. Am I being detained?
Officer #1: We're just conducting an investigation in to the report we received, sir.
Me: So, do you have RAS that Ive committed any crime?
Officer #2: *laughs* She said something that I can't remember...she couldn't take the call seriously, so what she had to say really didn't matter to me, at this point..
Me: ...so again, am I being detained? :mad:
Officer #1: Sir, you're in your home, and we're just standing here asking you questions to further our investigation.
Me: Well, good luck with that, and have a good day. *closes the door*

I go and sit back down and start playing again, while my neighbors are in shock that I just [politely] closed the door in their faces. A few moments later, I notice Officer #2 walking down the street, looking at cars, so I get up and go to the door and look out to see Officer #1 behind my motorcycle, trying to lift up the back of the cover.

Me: Hey!
Officer #1: *ignores me*
Me: *command voice* HEY! What are you doing!?
Officer #1: Oh...your tags are expired. You need to get that fixed.

I gave him my first name, so he was writing down all of the tags in the lot to see which one was registered to me. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ncwabbit

as a suggestion...might wish to formally report the incident to the sheriff of the county you reside in and if you are sure they were raleigh then FIOA request for specifics w/raleigh pd to see what was going on...

and go from there...

wabbit

condeist

"Officer #1: We're here responding to a call about shots in the area, and you're known to carry a firearm (say wha? lol..), so we're here to investigate the matter."

If I were you, I would be curious as to how (and why) the cops know you are known to carry a firearm?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"Officer #1: We're here responding to a call about shots in the area, and you're known to carry a firearm (say wha? lol..), so we're here to investigate the matter."

If I were you, I would be curious as to how (and why) the cops know you are known to carry a firearm?

TSA watch list? :uhoh: slight sarcasm :lol:
Officer #1: May I see your pistol to check if it has been recently fired?
May I see yours to check it has recently been fired?
or
Which one?
or best
Do you have a warrant?

Last edited:

FlyBoy276

as a suggestion...might wish to formally report the incident to the sheriff of the county you reside in and if you are sure they were raleigh then FIOA request for specifics w/raleigh pd to see what was going on...

and go from there...

wabbit
What does one do to start a FOIA request?

..If I were you, I would be curious as to how (and why) the cops know you are known to carry a firearm?
All of my neighbors know I open carry, so one of them probably pointed them in my direction.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
To FlyBoy276, not having the opportunity to get to know you prior, please give us the benefit of some introduction.

Age, how long you have been OCing, educational background, what type of work you do etc. Always helps to have a digital image of to whom we are directing replies.

Appreciate it.