• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

M

McX

watch it, i resemble that remark. still mad about losing the war huh? maybe you did win the point though.

FlyBoy276

..About all that I can support that town like these (Concord included) do is restrict the mega-booming car stereos that force you to hear the bass of somoene's car from 100' away in traffic. Makes me wish for a mini-EMP device in my car. ;)..
One day, I will install a mobile HF radio in my vehicle, with an amplifier. When one of those types pulls up at the light, shaking my windows, I'll just flip on the amp and throw my callsign out, pushing 1.5kW. BZZZZZTTT!!!...*silence* ;)

Oh, but back on topic...I OCed @ the Walnut St. Harris Teeter today with no issues.

Last edited:

rotorhead

Ok, well, the point was that there IS an ordinance about OC on city owned property, and I will not do it despite the fact that there have been others in the past that have done it and gotten away with it. I won't be the one a bored CPD officer decides to make an example of. The thread I showed was an effort to show how 'educated' CPD officers can be on gun laws. What that guy was doing was not a crime, but accordinig to Cary, walking on the sidewalk with a firearm exposed IS.

Cary re-wrote their ordinances to come in line with state law recently. You still can't carry inside of city owned buildings, but sidewalks (etc) are legal ground there now. You can't be busted for simply walking down the sidewalk and carrying....aside from the normal harassment you would get anywhere from people who don't know a thing about the law....

carolina guy

One day, I will install a mobile HF radio in my vehicle, with an amplifier. When one of those types pulls up at the light, shaking my windows, I'll just flip on the amp and throw my callsign out, pushing 1.5kW. BZZZZZTTT!!!...*silence* ;)

Oh, but back on topic...I OCed @ the Walnut St. Harris Teeter today with no issues.

I like it...but what frequency?? :)

FlyBoy276

I like it...but what frequency?? :)

Check this out if you're actually interested in the hobby. It can be fun, if you're in to such nerdish things. :p

I went to a Whitney Houston tribute concert my a family friend put on @ Pullen Park, last night. They still have the "No firearms, concealed or displayed" sign at the entrance of the parking lot, but the new sign they have up at the entrance to the actual park says no firearms except those authorized under NCGS 14-415. Since they allow CHP holders in, I decided to go ahead and reholster. No one seemed to mind.

frogfish

Was able to educate a fellow citizen today. Accompanied my friend to the UPS office so he could get the character reference for the Durham Co. PPP notorized...and the lady notary asked about handgun and carry laws. At the end of the conversation, she said he thinks she will start carrying. Nice little interaction and I don't even have my hangun yet. :D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Check this out if you're actually interested in the hobby. It can be fun, if you're in to such nerdish things. :p

I went to a Whitney Houston tribute concert my a family friend put on @ Pullen Park, last night. They still have the "No firearms, concealed or displayed" sign at the entrance of the parking lot, but the new sign they have up at the entrance to the actual park says no firearms except those authorized under NCGS 14-415. Since they allow CHP holders in, I decided to go ahead and reholster. No one seemed to mind.

Presume that there is no requirement to CC though. It is signs like this that create problems as they give the average, non-informed citizen the impression that self-defense tools are NOT allowed.

nuc65

Activist Member

Doesn't 14-269.3 forbid carrying someplace where admission is charged?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by FlyBoy276

Yes it does, but was admission being charged?

Also 14-269.3 provides an exception that possibly covers him, as his family friend was the organizer.
A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event

Last edited:

bhatley6

First Post/First OC Experience

Well, I read through all 65 pages of this thread before going out on my first trip OC'ing. I ended up going to Gander Mtn., Walmart, and then Bojangles for lunch. All in all, a very good trip. No stops by anyone so my flyers stayed in my pocket but nevertheless, I am much more comfortable now OC'ing.

All of these places were in Greensboro by the way. The WalMart was the one on Elmsley Dr. off of S. Elm-Eugene St.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well, I read through all 65 pages of this thread before going out on my first trip OC'ing. I ended up going to Gander Mtn., Walmart, and then Bojangles for lunch. All in all, a very good trip. No stops by anyone so my flyers stayed in my pocket but nevertheless, I am much more comfortable now OC'ing.

All of these places were in Greensboro by the way. The WalMart was the one on Elmsley Dr. off of S. Elm-Eugene St.

Welcome to OCDO - nice start to your OC career.

Lots of good information here - you only have 68,601 more threads to go :lol:

frodo0602

Moving to NC

hello all,

I'm an OCer from Nevada, military, currently in Korea. Will be moving to NC around June 2013. I started OCing in Nevada and have had great experiences so far. Looking forward to living in NC and OCing there as well. Been reading the threads for your area to begin learning what varies from NV to NC. Was wondering if someone can point me in the direction (website) of/for the State Constitution, state laws/statutes, and possibly county and city ordinances for the Fayetteville area. thanks much!

I'll continue visiting your site while i'm here in Korea, and hopefully it will be like moving home when the time comes :D

Mike

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
hello all,

I'm an OCer from Nevada, military, currently in Korea. Will be moving to NC around June 2013. I started OCing in Nevada and have had great experiences so far. Looking forward to living in NC and OCing there as well. Been reading the threads for your area to begin learning what varies from NV to NC. Was wondering if someone can point me in the direction (website) of/for the State Constitution, state laws/statutes, and possibly county and city ordinances for the Fayetteville area. thanks much!

I'll continue visiting your site while i'm here in Korea, and hopefully it will be like moving home when the time comes :D

Mike

Thank you for your service and welcome.

NC state Constitution:
http://www.ncleg.net/Legislation/constitution/ncconstitution.html

NC firearms laws:
http://ncja.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/a18f57fc-d990-43f0-8982-feb1f4c72deb/NC-Firearms-Laws-Pub-2011.aspx

There are but a few exceptions to state preemption of firearms and related laws. I know of no such for Fayetteville.

frodo0602

FlyBoy276

Cary re-wrote their ordinances to come in line with state law recently. You still can't carry inside of city owned buildings, but sidewalks (etc) are legal ground there now. You can't be busted for simply walking down the sidewalk and carrying....aside from the normal harassment you would get anywhere from people who don't know a thing about the law....
Good to know!
It was a public park. No admission.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Cite to ordinance please. I missed that change/clarification.

bc.cruiser

hello all,

Mike

Advance welcome to Fayetteville. This place is gun-friendly.
It has the usual (for NC) no gun places, but fewer than some. We still don't have provisions for carry in places that serve alcohol for on site consumption. We also do not have gun registration (except Durham county).

NC Law: http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/statutes/statutestoc.pl
Chapter 14 is the relevant chapter; sections 35-37, 38, 52A-53B, 54A-B.

Fayetteville: http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10733 Chapters 17, 18

Cumberland county: http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=14314 Chapter 9.5, 5.

Note: NC Supreme Court has decided that prohibiting firearms off private property during declared emergencies is unconstitutional.:banana: