Page 1 of 127 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: NC OC experience reports

Post NC OC experience reports

Sometimes our OC stories are too short to warrant a single post. Here's an idea... post your experience reports in this thread. I'll get things kicked off below...
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 03-10-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Post imported post

Was heading back to the Triangle from Winston-Salem and stopped at a CVS along I-40 just east of Greensboro to grab a soda. OC'd inside. As I was getting done paying, a lady walked up on my right and commented, "Oh, he has a gun!" then proceeded to ask the cashier how to get to Danville. The cashier didn't know, so I offered to let the lady look at the state map I had in my vehicle to find a route up. She seemed happy about that and took me up on the offer. I don't think I was much help to her... in the end, she just called her relative who lives there for directions. But she didn't seem *too* uncomfortable with the fact that I was OC'ing. I could tell she was a little taken aback, but I tired to be very friendly and hopefully my offer of assistance will give her a favorable impression of OC'ers in the future. She was from Florida.

So again, no screaming. No running for the hills. No frantic dialing of 911. Just another normal day OC'ing. What a great state!

Post imported post

OC'd at Panera near Triangle Town Center today. No problems. No stares. I was wearing slacks, dress shirt, and tie which probably helped.

Also OC'd at a grocery store later in the evening. Same situation. Friendly chat w/the cashier and bagger. Nobody did a double take.

On the downside, I didn't get a chance to educate anyone about their rights. Oh well, maybe next time.

Post imported post

Went out Sat with my daughter to look for a new camcorder. Yes I OC'ed while shopping on the Sat after Thanksgiving with my 8 yr old daughter in tow. Went to HHGregg first and had an employee follow us around a bit. One guy helped us at the camcorders. I asked him about memory cards, when he came back with a few he looked at me and asked, " Is that a 23?" Nope G19. We talked about Glocks for a bit and he could have cared less the I was carrying. No problems at Best Buy (twice), Target, Home Depot (twice), Petsmart, or McDonalds. Got a few looks but no other comments. Though I think I may have shook up the guy at McDonald's cause he really goofed my order up.

Post imported post

chiefjason wrote:
    One guy helped us at the camcorders. I asked him about memory cards, when he came back with a few he looked at me and asked, " Is that a 23?" Nope G19.
    That's awesome that he even recognized it! I've had a friendly encounter with a LEO who asked what kind of gun I had, and when I said a Glock 23 he asked me why I chose .23 caliber.
    :what:

Too bad about your McDonalds order. Usually the service is better when they see a person OC'ing.

Post imported post

[user=25027]glockaholic
    That's awesome that he even recognized it! I've had a friendly encounter with a LEO who asked what kind of gun I had, and when I said a Glock 23 he asked me why I chose .23 caliber.
    :what:

Too bad about your McDonalds order. Usually the service is better when they see a person OC'ing. [/quote]

That's nothing compared to the time the Food Lion cashier asked if I was LEO. I told him no. Of course he asked if it was legal. Then the bagboy piped up with, "Yeah open carry is legal in NC." His dad was a CCP instructor. I have had a few questions, but no bad encounters yet.

As for McDonald's, he was a young guy. I'm not worried about a couple bucks and a drink and cheeseburger for a snack.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

chiefjason wrote:
    Though I think I may have shook up the guy at McDonald's cause he really goofed my order up.
    It makes me think about that scene from the movie 'Falling Down' in the fast food restaurant when they shut breakfast down3 minutes before the main character (Michael Douglas?) walks in. Then, when he decides to order lunch instead after blasting a hole into the ceiling; "Hair trigger!"He gets a pathetic droopy looking burger instead of the plump juicy oneshown on the display.

Columbia, in the Peoples Republic of Murderland

Post imported post

Went to Adventure Outfitters to pic up my Walther P22 today (OCing my Para, of course), but I got there about a half hour before they opened, so I went to the Harbor Freight in Winterville to kill some time. Harbor Freight is not posted, so I walked in, picked up a big dustpan for my shop and got a GREAT deal on a pair of those electronic hearing protector earmuffs (for $15!), ad the whole store seemed OC-friendly.

On the way home, stopped at The Fresh Market to get some gourmet cheese. Fresh Market is not posted, so I walked in, looked through the store a while, made my purchase and walked out, no problems. If you like these sort of hoity-toity groceries, I think we've found a great alternative to the decidedly anti-gun Whole Foods!!!

I then went to Barnes and Noble to look at some magazines, and everything was cool there. I think we've given B&N the "thumbs up" before though...

I then stopped in to Overtons to see if they had a softer butt pad for my Mossberg (which they did, at a good price--a Limbsaver slip on) No problems there either.

Nobody asked me any questions today, and I was sort of disappointed with that, but everywhere I went today in the Greenville/Winterville area was OC-friendly.
    Last edited by Dreamer; 07-03-2012 at 11:37 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    Nobody asked me any questions today, and I was sort of disappointed with that, but everywhere I went today in the Greenville/Winterville area was OC-friendly.
    I'm usually disappointed when I don't get asked questions either. OC'd to Great Clips today and I don't think anyone even noticed.

By the way, where/what is Overtons? Haven't heard of it before, but I've been trying to find other sources for guns and gear in the area.

Post imported post

glockoholic,

Overtons is a general sporting good store, but they have a BIG hunting section, with a lot of outdoor clothing and boots. They have an OK firearms section--mostly long guns though. I was pleasantly surprised at their selection in that department--they hactually had a REALLY sweet Benelli M4 on the rack, but it was WAY above my budget. I did get a LimbSaver buttpad for my Mossberg there though, for a decent price.

If you are looking for a good source in the Greenvile area, check out the two stores in Winterville, Adventure Outdoors, and D&L Guns. Both are staffed with very knowledgeable folks, they are TOTALLY cool with OC, and they both have good selections in-stock and are glad to do special orders.

Action Outfitters has more handguns in stock (mostly used), and their prices are pretty good. They have a decent selection of new and used long guns too, expecially if you're into the "tacti-cool" models. They have lots of ARs (Bushmaster, DPMS), some AK's and SKS's, and a few of the Saiga models (shotguns and rifles) They even have a single-shot bolt-action .50cal on display, if you've got a spare $3k you need to get rid of... :shock:

D&L has more "sporting" long guns, and an OK selection of handguns, and the staff is really knowledgeable and friendly.

Awesome Outdoors in Washington probably has the best selection of new and used handguns in this area. An their selection of new and used long guns is pretty wide-ranging too. About the only place you're going to find a bigger selection in this area is Mackeys up in Jamesville, but Mackey's prices tend toward the high side...

Speaking of Mackey's, if you live ANWYWERE near the north-east part of NC, you owe it to yourself to check this place out, if only for the sheer "wow" factor. They have pretty much EVERYTHING there--military, hunting, handguns of all kinds, ammo, holsters, accessories--it's pretty amazing. There are no great bargains to be found there though, but if there is something you're looking for and can't find at the smaller shops, and you just GOTTA have it, they probably have it on the shelf at Mackey's. But be advised, you will pay a premium...

Then there is "Docs Gun and Pawn" in Greenville. Interesting selection, especially if you're into surplus and older firearms, but their prices are, IMO, VERY inflated. They've had a Para Ordnance P13 with a lot of finish wear in their display for close to a year, and I haven't been able to talk them down a penny on it, even though I stop in every 2 or 3 months and try and haggle with them...

Overton's
    111 Red Banks Rd
    Greenville, NC 27858-5702
    (252) 355-7600
    http://www.overtons.com/

Adventure Outfitters
    2592 Railroad St

Winterville, NC 28590

252-355-8996

D & L Guns LLC
    171 Cooper St

Winterville, NC 28590

252-758-6867

Awesome Outdoors
    1989 W 5th St,
    Washington, NC
    (252) 974-2825‎

Doc's Gun & Pawn506 S Memorial Dr, Greenville, NC(252) 758-2020‎
    Mackey's Landing Firearms
    30757 Hwy 64
    Jamesville, NC 27846
    252-793-4040
    http://mackeyslanding.com/

It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

Wow, thanks for such detailed information Dreamer. I really appreciate it! Sounds like you've definitely made the rounds (no pun intended).

This is good stuff to know with Christmas coming and all.

Post imported post

Hello all,

I am a new member so please forgive me if I am misunderstanding the point of this thread.

With that said, I just got out of the Army after 11 years of service and decided to settle in NC. I am fairly impressed with how "gun friendly" people here are. But considering I have lived in places like California and Iowa I guess its no wonder.

Now...on topic.....I had a fairly long and pleasant talk with Police Chief Eddie Jaggers of Coats NC. Very cool guy and very quick to point out that I had two choices if I wanted to carry in Coats, CHP or keep it where he could see it.

It is very refreshing to finally live somewhere in which I can walk into the gas station or auto parts store and not be treated like I am a criminal.

I have never been questioned or bothered.

I have yet to carry in Raleigh as I only spend time there because I go to school there and firearms are not allowed on campus.

Post imported post

KcJones,

Welcome to the Tarheel State. You will find that the general public and LEO's out in this part of the country are MUCH more accepting of OC than folks out on the "Left coast"...

I'm glad you've had positive experiences so far. I am also a student (a Graduate Student) and I know how you feel about the "School ban" we have here in NC. I have a NC CHP, am 44 years old, and have a "squeaky clean" record, but I'm not allowed to carry while on campus because of the laws here in NC.

There are several universities in the Raleigh area that have SCCC chapters that you might wish to get in touch with. Although they are more focused on Concealed Carry, they ARE 2A activists like us on the OC side, and they do some good work. They are working to get the "School ban" overturned here in NC, and although it is an uphill battle, I have confidence that the "school ban" will be overturned here eventually.

Stories like yours are great to hear! Keep Carrying, and keep reporting on your experiences...
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

I do not carry because I feel like there is a reason that I always have to have a firearm on me. I carry becauseI can find no reason why I should nothave a fire arm on me. I open carry because I really don't know the answer in the debate of OC vs. CC (which is better) I think it's really is situational, but I do it partly "on Principal", because I can and should be allowed to. Rights are like muscles, if you never exercises them they will slowly decay.

Thanks for the welcome,

Jake

Post imported post

I went to the Halmark store today to get a birthday card for my sweety and to look for a "Baby's First Christmas" ornament for my granddaughter. I got wonderful things on both counts. OC'd, and was there quite a while browsing, looking for th eperfect card and ornament, and nobody blinked.

Hallmark "Gold Grown" store, Washington NC -- A+
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

OC'd at the Lowes Foods near where I live tonight. No problems. Got stellar service as usual.

Post imported post

open carried in walmart today with my new Glock 23 to purchase a few boxes of ammo. The sporting goods guy asked me how I liked the .40 cal andhad a fewquestions. Carried on a nice conversation with him. very pleasant experience.
    “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.” -Thomas Jefferson

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Jsmith88 wrote:
    open carried in walmart today with my new Glock 23 to purchase a few boxes of ammo. The sporting goods guy asked me how I liked the .40 cal andÂ*had a fewÂ*questions. Carried on a nice conversation with him. very pleasant experience.
    That is pretty funny. A guy selling me .40 S&W ammo recently at a Wal-Mart asked me how I liked .40 and the Glocks. He said he wanted a "glock 40" and I smiled and said, I have a Glock 22C which is a .40 S&W. I wasn't OCing at the time as that was before I even discovered this site.

Post imported post

OCed to Walmart in Eden ( YAWN ). OCed to Tractor Supply (YAWN ). But just as I was leaving a guy comes running out. Hey mister??? He wants to OC but some yoyo told him no you have to have a CC permit to carry a gun. I talked to him about 10 minutes & also directed him to this site. FELT GOOD.

That's 2 people in 2 days Think I need to get some cards printed up.

Post imported post

OC'd at Caribou Coffee and an apartment clubhouse today. I don't think anyone even noticed. :shock:

Post imported post

Oced in Sears& Kirklandsat Friendly Shopping Center. Went to Walmart on Battleground. Nothing, nothing & more nothing.

Post imported post

I have been carrying regularly and have only two "incidents" lately, if you can even call them that.

First was at Harris Teeter on 14th in Greenville this past Sunday morning. I stopped by for some snacks, and some flowers for my daughter to honor her performance in the Nutcracker at Wright Auditorium. I did my shopping and I was proceeding to the checkout when I "sensed" someone following me. I peeked over my shoulder as I was headed to the self checkout, and it turns out there was an ECU campus cop shadowing me. He never confronted me or even spoke, but it was obvious he was concerned, but I guess he knew he was out of his jurisdiction. In one way it bothered me, but in another not so much after I thought about the fact that I was dressed in black from head to toe since I was on stage crew, and I was in an unfamiliar store so I was walking around trying to find what I needed, maybe he thought I was casing the place. The fact that he did not interfere with me going about my business made it an overall a non-issue, but it was kind of strange.
    {FYI: I did secure my weapon off campus before I went in to work the show.}

Last night in Food Lion in Wilson there were two little boys that noticed my revolver and started yelling to the their Mom "Look Mom, he's got a real pistol ...... COOOL!!". She told them to be quiet, I just smiled and said not to worry, lot's of little boys notice it and say something like that sometimes. She did not seem bothered by the gun, just a little frustrated that her boys were being so loud.

So far no major issues ................ hope it stays that way.

Post imported post

REX681959 wrote:
    Oced in Sears& Kirklandsat Friendly Shopping Center. Went to Walmart on Battleground. Nothing, nothing & more nothing.
    I'm surprised Sears didn't say something. I worked for Sears a few years ago in Fayetteville, and they had "circle-slash" signs on ALL their doors. But then again, they were an "anchor store" in the Cross Creek Mall, and less than 500 yards from TWO different Waffle House restaurants (which are know as "Gangsta Shooting Galleries" in Cumberland County). The Skibo Road area of Fayetteville is pretty dodgy all around, and is one of the MANY places in Fayetteville that I would never want to go after dark, unarmed. Hence, I stay away from Cross Creek Mall when I'm down there these days, if I can avoid it.

I was under the assumption that it was Sears' corporate policy to ban carry in their stores. Considering that their CEO is a member of the Yale Skull and Bones Society, it would not surprise me if they had a carry ban.

I DO know that they ban carry for employees--you can't even have a firearm locked in your car in the Mall parking lot if you're "on the clock" according to their company policy. But then again, from my experiences with the General Manager at the Fayetteville/Cross Creek Mall Sears, I can understand why he might feel uncomfortable with the idea that any of his employees might be armed. Let's just say that besides his horrific people skills, his felonious sales policies (I actually witnessed him instructing a sales person to commit Warranty Fraud on a large 4-digit corporate sale) and is utter disregard for NC Labor Laws, he's an OK guy...

The Sears in Greenville is a "stand-alone" store--not part of a Mall or complex. I'll have to check it out soon, and see how they feel about OC...

Good on ya, though! And thanks for the report.
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

Went in to a local hunting store today. No issue, and no good buckshot. My new to me 870 needs to be fed.

Stopped by Walmart in Granite Falls. There was a Salvation Army ringer at the door. I got the typical greeting, then as I get in the door he says, "Is that a .40?" Stepped back out and talked Glock 9mm's a bit. Tried to explain the difference in the 19 I have and the 17 and 26. Got an odd look from one of the guys at the ammo counter, the other could have cared less. Some buckshot, but still not what I wanted.

In Dick's Sporting goods Tue night. It was a mad house. I fully expected at least some type of comment. Nothing.

Post imported post

OCed at The Conference Store on Bridford Parkway. Guy behind the counter asked what I was carrying. Told him 44 mag & he said SWEET.

OCed at Harbor Freight on High point rd stayed a good hour got a few looks of curiosity but that's all.

Page 1 of 127 1231151101 ... LastLast