• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Birmingham Update

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

Hello all, this is Jonathon Sometimes, decided to change the screen name to my real name. Well, OC'ed a few times at gas stations, to and from the apt., and once on my motorcycle down Hwy. 280. Also, I've been printing out the Alabama tri-fold and leaving copies at all the gun stores that will allow it. Today and yesterday, I OC'ed at the BJCC for the Gun and Knife Show and handed out 50 tri-folds each day. Every time I slung a flyer, I mentioned this website and forum. Rockin an Rollin.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Jonathon Norris wrote:
Hello all, this is Jonathon Sometimes, decided to change the screen name to my real name. Well, OC'ed a few times at gas stations, to and from the apt., and once on my motorcycle down Hwy. 280. Also, I've been printing out the Alabama tri-fold and leaving copies at all the gun stores that will allow it. Today and yesterday, I OC'ed at the BJCC for the Gun and Knife Show and handed out 50 tri-folds each day. Every time I slung a flyer, I mentioned this website and forum. Rockin an Rollin.
Nice. I was hoping to go to BJCC but had to go elsewhere. Did you have any problems carrying at the convention? I know legally they can't prohibit it (if the building is owned by the city)...

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

So if you are on here cuz of the gun show flyer, introduce yourselves. Also, I'm restarting the Birmingham restaurant meetup idea - so if you could make the drive, post your most available times and favorite restaurant. But this time it'll happen if I'm the only person that can make it. And I'll be doing this dance ---->:celebrate

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

Nope. No problems. Passed five badges outside, two at the door, and one inside the show. Picked up a surplus IIA vest on the cheap, too. Four of the officers I encountered, I asked if they wanted flyers, and one actually accepted it! He was Sheriff Dept. and was pretty cool. Can't remember the name. Will post when the next gun show is and maybe we can all meetup, at least for the tried and true safe OC environment to hand out some trifolds. Gotta watch out for that pesky demonstration law, tho.
:banghead:

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Jonathon Norris wrote:
Nope. No problems. Passed five badges outside, two at the door, and one inside the show....
Forgive me if I'm slow catching on, but do you mean you were able to OC a LOADED handgun into the show itself? I thought they had checkpoints at the entrance to insure that all weapons were unloaded. TIA

kurtmax_0

imported post

Jonathon Norris wrote:
Gotta watch out for that pesky demonstration law, tho.
:banghead:

It's not entirely pesky as it's pretty narrowly defined.

Neo wrote:
Jonathon Norris wrote:
Nope. No problems. Passed five badges outside, two at the door, and one inside the show....
Forgive me if I'm slow catching on, but do you mean you were able to OC a LOADED handgun into the show itself? I thought they had checkpoints at the entrance to insure that all weapons were unloaded. TIA

I'm surprised too. But technically the city can't make any rules prohibiting handguns. I'm guessing that the convention center is at least owned in part by Birmingham. I don't know for sure though.

aadvark

imported post

Private Property owners can very well ask anyone to leave at any time for any reason they so choose, however; if the property in question is owned by The City of Birmingham or if the building in question is supported by tax payer dollars, then, Alabama Code 11-45-1.1 would apply vis a vis.

Remember, although some may be inclined to argue otherwise, clearly established Case Law suggests that where 13A-11-52 and 13A-11-73 conflict the provisions of 13A-11-73 govern, it being the complete revision of the subject matter of carrying Handguns in addition to State Handgun Preemption Law 11-45-1.1.

Additionally, please do not forget about State-wide Firearms Preemption in General. The same is codified 11-80-11(a), and it also preempts gun shows as well. Even though 11-80-11(b) would allow Birmingham to outlaw discharge of Firearms, outside of Lawful Self-Defense, such action would not be applicable to Handguns, such being Preempted further under 11-45-1.1 above. This, too, is evidenced under Alabama Attorney General ruling 2005-127, so filied wherefore on May. 10, 2005.

In short, I would be inclined to believe that the open carrying of aLoaded Handgun into a Gun Show thattakes place in a Public Buildingin Birmingham is perfectly Legal underestablished Alabama Code, provided; that if you carry the Handgun concealed on your person or within a Motor Vehicle, then, you would need to first procure a Pistol Permit from Jefferson County.

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Jonathon Norris wrote:
....Today and yesterday, I OC'ed at the BJCC for the Gun and Knife Show and handed out 50 tri-folds each day. Every time I slung a flyer, I mentioned this website and forum. Rockin an Rollin.
Thank you for such a strong show of support for OC in Alabama and this forum!

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

Sorry for being unclear, I did unload at the door. But once outside the venue, where the majority of the tri-folds were handed out, I was loaded with two extra magsweak side.Whatfelt good was walking from the parking spot a block awayin full daylight downtownBirmingham. :)

What inspired me to do this was, the last time I was OC'ingat theBJCC gun show, an oldergentleman with aWWII veteran hat on came up and askedmeifhow I was carrying was legal because he was interested in carrying like that.This just absolutely broke my heart. I told him it was and made alittlepromise to myself that I would try to get the word out next time I was there. Now, I'm not a veteran and here's this guy who's seen more and done more for his country than I can imagine, asking ME if he can carry openly. Wow. Hope we can make it where everyone, including him and people like him,won't get hassled for merely excersizing their inaliable right to bear arms openly.

kurtmax_0

imported post

aadvark wrote:
Private Property owners can very well ask anyone to leave at any time for any reason they so choose, however; if the property in question is owned by The City of Birmingham or if the building in question is supported by tax payer dollars, then, Alabama Code 11-45-1.1 would apply vis a vis.

Remember, although some may be inclined to argue otherwise, clearly established Case Law suggests that where 13A-11-52 and 13A-11-73 conflict the provisions of 13A-11-73 govern, it being the complete revision of the subject matter of carrying Handguns in addition to State Handgun Preemption Law 11-45-1.1.

Additionally, please do not forget about State-wide Firearms Preemption in General. The same is codified 11-80-11(a), and it also preempts gun shows as well. Even though 11-80-11(b) would allow Birmingham to outlaw discharge of Firearms, outside of Lawful Self-Defense, such action would not be applicable to Handguns, such being Preempted further under 11-45-1.1 above. This, too, is evidenced under Alabama Attorney General ruling 2005-127, so filied wherefore on May. 10, 2005.

In short, I would be inclined to believe that the open carrying of aLoaded Handgun into a Gun Show thattakes place in a Public Buildingin Birmingham is perfectly Legal underestablished Alabama Code, provided; that if you carry the Handgun concealed on your person or within a Motor Vehicle, then, you would need to first procure a Pistol Permit from Jefferson County.
Right. Although you can have a permit from any county, or a permit recognised by Alabama.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Didn't go this time. How were the prices? I did pick up some reloading dies
last time, and just missed the attempted armed robbery idiots. Never
heard about a trial so I guess they plead out. Is it armed robbery when you
steal the vendors gun, or plain robbery of guns?
But till they lock up 60 felon Larry, it isn't safe to walk the streets unarmed.:celebrate

The only problem short term is if the creditors grab up the center from the city/county
for not paying their bills. Would kill the municipal property restrictions. You can bet
NY wall street ain't gonna have no guns in their buildings.:lol:

Does an armed motorcycle get better traffic flow on 280 as you walk along side
the cars?

Just pick someplace outside the city limits, I am protesting the tax hikes, and
would only be able to get a glass of tap water.:X

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

I believe there's another gun show on or around Jan. 9 and 10th at the BJCC, so mark ya'lls calendars and come on out and OC with me. It'd be really cool if we could get an info booth like the nice Constitution Party and Rainy Day Patriot folks I met inside. This could be our pre-outing warm up.

Oh and traffic CRAWLS on 280 regardless. You could be dual wielding RPG's and people would just look at you like, 'Wait your turn, buddy.' :)

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

Also, OC'ed into four gun stores and left trifolds at each. Makin the rounds, as it were. Hoover Tactical Firearms said the flyers were goin like hotcakes. Its got that new gun store smell, check it out if you guys are in town. The Gun Cellar down on Hwy. 150 has been supportive, too.

Jonathon Sometimes

imported post

Well, OC'ed to Granny and Pop's for the family Christmas party. It felt really good not hidingmy gunfrom the people I care most about.

I'll print out around75 trifolds, maybe 100 if I can, for the gun show. Slackware, Kurtmax, Daddyo, rocknsnow, cricket, ...or anybody else down for OC'ing the tried and true safe OC environment of the BJCCGun and Knife Show and slinging flyers with me? January 9th and 10th - Shouldn't take more than acouple hours, back and forth inside the show and outside. Guess we'll just meet at 11am outside the front doors.I'll be there at that time both days, so anybody who wants to show up, just meet there at that time. It would be cool to get a booth, and that's what Open Carry advocates in other states have done, but don't have the $66 right now.

We can also plot the next move in our eeeevil plan for Alabama, an OCrestaurant outing!!