• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UOC alone, was cuffed,detained,put in police car and had serial run. with audio!

chewy352

imported post

Gotcha thanks. I love eating ice cream while UOCing its just funny or when my wife asks me to hold her purse for a second LMAO.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

chewy352 wrote:
...Even though they have qualified immunity they ought to know these laws with all of the publicity lately...
Why would they have qualified immunity? Terry v Ohio is well-settled law, and even the CA Court of Appeals stated 12031 allows only a non-intrusive examination of the firearm, not a detention (though this will not hold up under scrutiny of a higher court, nor in any federal court).

These officers are personally liable both civilly and criminally for their actions when violating settled law.

I would start with a FOIA request. This is the first step because once a complaint is filed, most the info you want will be legally off-limits due to employee privacy laws since the issue becomes disciplinary. The trick with FOIA requests is to ask for "access" to the records. They have to provide free access to records during business hours so you can determine what records you want to have copied/duplicated. They can charge you for any reasonable costs associated with copying. In my case they simply gave me copies of all records for free, rather than allowing me access to them before making copies. On the high end, I'd say I might have had to pay $75 for all the stuff they gave me, if they had chose to charge me (though I probably wouldn't have needed all the info, so I would have narrowed that down to $20-$50).

Next file a complaint with their Internal Affairs department. I don't care how much brass wants to kiss your ass, the best way to make sure your complaint is taken seriously and creates a solid paper trail is to make an IA complaint. Send copies of the complaint to the District Attorney and your nearest FBI field office. The DA is required to be involved to some degree in the investigation of possible criminal actions by officers in their jurisdiction. The FBI may or may not be obligated, but I've heard this falls under their jurisdiction as well, and at the very least you may get them to open a file, which means more paper trail in case of further issues.

As for legal options... I believe you would be within reason to file a police report. Technically the officers were acting beyond their legal authority, so some crimes did occur. The fact that you were released after 5-10 minutes, and your property was returned, doesn't negate the fact these crimes occurred. (Imagine if I were to have a half-drawn gun in my hand, order you around, take your property, confine you against your will, and then dust you off and send you on your merry way...)

I doubt the DA will ever pick up the charges in a case like this, but you could at least make them make a paper trail documenting the crimes of brandishing, kidnapping, theft, etc. This may come in handy if anything like this happens again.

Your other legal option is to file civil (tort) suit. This means claiming damages, which in your case would be pretty hard to prove, and by your own description, would be fairly minor. I suppose you could figure out what your time is worth and sue them in small claims court... but I don't think this is a viable option.

Another option is to get an attorney, fork out a bunch of cash (or get one willing to work on contingency), and drag the cop(s) into federal court. In federal court, their CA-legislated "right" to "examine" your firearm doesn't exist. The officers will have to find a different excuse for violating the 4th Amendment, or face the music. If you win, you could get a significant settlement (because they can add punitive damages - unlike a tort suit). Also, in federal court, the loser has to pay the winner's attorney fees... so if you lose you might find yourself in debt to the state to the tune of several hundreds of thousands of dollars.

You may try contacting the ACLU. They claim to be a rights advocacy litigation group. However, to date I've heard that each state has their own chapter, and CA's ACLU isn't gun-friendly. So, I wouldn't hold your breath, but if enough of us hound them, maybe when "bearing" arms is a right they'll actually support it in this state.

(Sorry for the lengthy post... I suppose I should probably make a how-to thread so I can simply say, "go to this link if you want my opinion on how to proceed and what your rights may be.")

wolfeinstein

imported post

Yeah i was thinking about getting a lawyer but i don't know how would this hold up in Federal Court.

I will file for FOIA for sure and file a complain and send one to the District Attorney and to the FBI.

Reminding you guys i have never done this so i will need some help.

How do i go about filing for FOIA?
After i done that i will write up a complaint and will need help editing that.

We need to stand up for this, so police in California will be more educated and will respect our rights more.

So what should i start with?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

A technical correction... FOIA is a federal act, and doesn't apply in this case. However, CA has it's own Public Records Act, which serves the same purpose. (In my previous post the suggestions I make are based on making a PRA, not a FOIA, request.)

To start, you'll want to go to your local PD's website and search for a form, or simply call/visit the Records Department. Tell them you'd like to request records, and ask if they have a form for such requests, or if a typed letter will do.

Be detailed in what you're asking for access to. Simply asking for "everything related to this incident" isn't good enough. Itemize and list everything you want: any 9-1-1 or non-emergency dispatch call audio recordings, the dispatch log, recordings of radio communications, copies of reports filed (if any), copies of any Field Identification(FID) cards filled out on you, copies of any non-verbal communications regarding the incident, including electronic communications (e-mail, etc - some departments have a sort of Instant Messaging interface), any audio or video recordings from the scene of the incident, such as car cameras/microphones, or officer-carried recording devices... you get the point...

Be VERY clear that you are only requesting access to the records so you can decide what records you need copied. Under CA PRA law, they must make the records available at their regular records office during regular business hours FREE of charge.

Once you decide what you want to pay for, you may have to make another written request - again, be as detailed as possible. They have 10 days from the date of your request to fulfill their legal obligation. They have the option to charge you, but have to give you an itemized bill. Expect to be charged a per page cost on printed documents, a per tape/disc charge on audio/video, and a per hour rate for the person doing the copying.

Some departments seem to have a policy of refusing to cooperate with these requests. If they don't cooperate, you may have to get an attorney and sue them for failing to comply. (I would also notify the DA and FBI if the department fails to comply with PRA law, though this may do nothing but create that paper trail...)

Hope this helps. If you want, I'd be happy to proof-read your draft. I've been down this road before, so I may be able to help you catch mistakes I made my first go-round.

greg36f

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
Several things...

1) No bullets? Really?

2) Cops can't break leather for an E-check. Make sure you mention that.

Everything else seems to be good. When the audio download works let me know so that I can listen to it and critique further.

Where did you get that idea?.......

pullnshoot25

imported post

greg36f wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:
Several things...

1) No bullets? Really?

Everything else seems to be good. When the audio download works let me know so that I can listen to it and critique further.

Cato can best explain it.

greg36f

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
greg36f wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:
Several things...

1) No bullets? Really?

Cato can best explain it.

Ok, because I know that there is some recent case law that states that an officer pointing a gun at an individual can constitute "force", but I don't think that "breaking leather"would necessarily be considered force.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

wolfeinstein wrote:
He took the gun pat me down, asked me for my ID I said no I won't give it to you he found it in my pocket and took the ID out, cuffed me
Refusing to give ID is much easier if you do not carry one :cool:

Remember, it is a credit card mechant violation for merchants to demand additional ID when presenting a signed MasterCard, VISA, and apparently now, American Express as well.

report mrchants demanding additional ID at https://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/contactus/merchantviolations.html

See references below:

For Visa:

· "It is contrary to Visa policy to require the consumer to show identification as a condition of the sale. If a merchant asks for identification and the consumer is unable or unwilling to produce it, the merchant is still obliged to accept the consumer’s Visa card. Consumers who experience refusal of service based on identification may either call their card issuer to report the problem or call "
[http://usa.visa.com/about_visa/newsr...arch#anchor_18]

For
MasterCard:

· "The merchant cannot require additional identification as a standard business practice when you use MasterCard for payment."
[http://global.mastercard.com/consumer/cust_serv.html]

· "If a merchant displays a decal with the MasterCard logo to indicate that MasterCard cards are accepted, that merchant can not condition a sale based upon the cardholder disclosing any other information or identification, except under very specific conditions, such as when merchant needs to deliver merchandise to the cardholder's home or business."
[http://www.mastercardbusiness.com/mc.../faqs.html#211]

· There is even a form on the MasterCard's website to report this and other common violations: [http://global.mastercard.com/cgi-bin..._template.html]

· [url]http://www.mastercard.com/us/wce/PDF/MERC-Entire_Manual.pdf[/url]

http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchant/pdf/BM-Entire_Manual_public.pdf

Very interesting, they categorize ID Required as a "Noncompliance Category B" which is the "visible to the public" category, and spell out the potential fines and punishments, quite stiff, up to $20,000 for the first violation! See page 51 of the linked .pdf.

Also pages 88, and 95.

ConsideringOC

imported post

Mike wrote:
Remember, it is a credit card mechant violation for merchants to demand additional ID when presenting a signed MasterCard, VISA, and apparently now, American Express as well.

Sorry but in this day of Identity theft..... I dont even sign the back. I write "Check ID"

and if they dont... i demand the merchants do!

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ConsideringOC wrote:
Mike wrote:

Sorry but in this day of Identity theft..... I dont even sign the back.  I write "Check ID"

Being that the reliance on government-issued IDs has been shown to increase the rates of identity theft, I question whether this security tactic has much benefit. Making a fake ID with a name and a photo (doesn't have to be much to use it with a credit card) is ridiculously easy. If they have your card, they have your name, and the photo they'll need is of themselves. ;)

Don't rely on the state. Use your own good judgement.

Besides, credit card fraud ≠ identity theft.

While using your ID so heavily may slightly decrease the risk of petty credit card fraud (teenager finds your dropped card and buys a bottle of booze), it almost certainly will increase your susceptibility to real identity theft.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

ConsideringOC wrote:
Mike wrote:

Sorry but in this day of Identity theft..... I dont even sign the back. I write "Check ID"

Actually, the merchants are required to make you sign the card before they take the card - if you do not sign the card, you aredefaulting on your obligation to scure your card - credit cards ae signature cards.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mike wrote:
ConsideringOC wrote:
Mike wrote:

Sorry but in this day of Identity theft..... I dont even sign the back.  I write "Check ID"

Actually, the merchants are required to make you sign the card before they take the card - if you do not sign the card, you aredefaulting on your obligation to scure your card - credit cards ae signature cards.
Yup.

oc4ever

imported post

One of the deputies in the audio stated "he wanted to go home to his family at night", justifying treating you poorly. The correct comeback should have been :

...well I want to see my family tonight also, that's why I am carrying... just like you.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

My point about using crredit cards without ID is show folks that they can still buy stuff without carrying ID and shop like a normal person - and by the way, one reason the credit card companies forbid merchants from demanding ID is there is no reason that the name on the card must be you - I am carrying a VISA card right now with my wife's name on the front (not my last name) and I signed the back - under MC and VISA rules, I am the authorized user, not my wife!

In fact, you can issue yourself an authorized user shopper's alias credit card from your primary credit card account - try it for this xmas: "S. Claus" is my favorite!

But as I have said in the past, if you are detained by police, I think you shouldstate your name - this makes you pretty much covered in a stop and ID state, see Hiibel, makes you look more normal to the public and press, and in any event, you want them to record the incident in your name so you can FOIA them and possibly depose them about the issue in civil litigation later - often state FOIAs give a person more rights to records if requestor is the subject of the record!

wolfeinstein

imported post

Ok, i have requested with the PRA to have the documents be released, the lady was nice and she will get all the doc. and audio of the 911 call and the dispach audio file (someone called 911 on me)? lol joking

Meanwhile i will write the complaint and after i received the records i will file with the Internal Affairs of the Aliso Viejo Police dep. will send one to the FBI and to the DA.