• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I Wonder, if I was UOC'ing tonight

SouthBayr

imported post

My wife and I went to dinner tonight in downtown SJ, parking is not friendly especially with Christmas in the Park going on. We parked a few blocks away from where we were dining.

I didn't carry, not even in the vehicle. My wife doesn't like me UOC'ing. So it stayed home.

After dinner we are walking back to our vehicle and we here this commotion down the street. It was one of SJ finest homeless residents screaming and chasing everyone, he was even scaring the other fine homeless residents. He started heading for us and I reached to my to my right and felt my empty holster. At this point I told my wife to step it up a bit.

A couple of ladies were walking toward us and passed us, they took the attention of this person off of us and onto them. They just started screaming and running. We made it back to our vehicle safe.

Keep in mind I'm not a small guy and would have stepped up to if I had to, but worse, I wonder what I would have done if I was UOC'ing at the time? I'm just glad I didn't have to find out and I'm sure the other guy appreciates it as well. First time in awhile I didn't feel safe in my own town.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

SouthBayr wrote:
First time in awhile I didn't feel safe in my own town.

So, ordinarily you do feel safe in your town.

Would that be because you dont put yourself in the position of being in danger

ORbecause SJPD has done an excellent job in crime deterence

ORbecause this is the first time you noticed you were in the immediate proximity of danger?

SouthBayr

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
SouthBayr wrote:
First time in awhile I didn't feel safe in my own town.

So, ordinarily you do feel safe in your town.

Would that be because you dont put yourself in the position of being in danger

OR because SJPD has done an excellent job in crime deterence

OR because this is the first time you noticed you were in the immediate proximity of danger?

Yes I usually feel somewhat safe, however I'm hardly ever in the downtown area.

I am always aware of my surroundings.

SJPD does do an excellent job as far as I am concerned. http://www.forbes.com/2009/10/26/safest-cities-ten-lifestyle-real-estate-metros-msa_chart.html

I wouldn't say I was in danger as much as the other individual, but I didn't want to stick around to find out or become a statistic.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

You don't carry a knife? I thought everybody here carried a knife. Word on the street is that a wife/girlfriend is usually fine with their significant other carrying a knife.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
You don't carry a knife? I thought everybody here carried a knife. Word on the street is that a wife/girlfriend is usually fine with their significant other carrying a knife.
For some reason this reminded me of a funny story...

In my second year of college, on the last day of class we were having a pot luck, and the teacher was having trouble opening a sealed food package of some sort. She asked the class, "does anybody have a knife?"

Nobody responded. (The guy next to me was carving his name into the desk with a pocket knife just 10 minute earlier, and he was looking kinda nervous that the subject came up.)

After a brief pause, she looks in my direction and asks, "David, do you have a knife? You look like the kind of guy that carries a knife." Feigning outrage, I shot back, "just what is that supposed to mean?!" As I walked the knife up to her, she tried to respond with, "well you remind me of my boyfriend and he always carries a knife..." (looks at the knife I'm handing her, then nonchalantly adds) "... but his is smaller."

Did I mention this class was a psychology class on human sexuality? Let's just say the class enjoyed this exchange thoroughly.

Sorry for the derail, so I'll tie this back into the topic at hand...

ALWAYS carry a knife (unless you're boarding a plane or going into any other place controlled by metal detectors). Knives have innumerable daily practical uses, and could save your life.

I've carried a knife every day of my life since I was a cub scout. As soon as I got home from school, I put my knife in my pocket and went out to play. I honestly think I'm more likely to lose my cell phone, wallet, and/or keys than my pocket knife.

IMO, every able person should learn to safely use and train with blades as much as firearms. Knives are practical for daily carry, but swords are a lot of fun to swing around! If the zombies ever take over the world, there won't be unlimited ammunition. Will you be ready?

Decoligny

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
bigtoe416 wrote:

In my second year of college, on the last day of class we were having a pot luck, and the teacher was having trouble opening a sealed food package of some sort. She asked the class, "does anybody have a knife?"

Nobody responded. (The guy next to me was carving his name into the desk with a pocket knife just 10 minute earlier, and he was looking kinda nervous that the subject came up.)

After a brief pause, she looks in my direction and asks, "David, do you have a knife? You look like the kind of guy that carries a knife." Feigning outrage, I shot back, "just what is that supposed to mean?!" As I walked the knife up to her, she tried to respond with, "well you remind me of my boyfriend and he always carries a knife..." (looks at the knife I'm handing her, then nonchalantly adds) "... but his is smaller."

Did I mention this class was a psychology class on human sexuality? Let's just say the class enjoyed this exchange thoroughly.

ALWAYS carry a knife (unless you're boarding a plane or going into any other place controlled by metal detectors). Knives have innumerable daily practical uses, and could save your life.

I've carried a knife every day of my life since I was a cub scout. As soon as I got home from school, I put my knife in my pocket and went out to play. I honestly think I'm more likely to lose my cell phone, wallet, and/or keys than my pocket knife.

IMO, every able person should learn to safely use and train with blades as much as firearms. Knives are practical for daily carry, but swords are a lot of fun to swing around! If the zombies ever take over the world, there won't be unlimited ammunition. Will you be ready?
I carry several knives on me. One is useful should I have to defend myself, the other two are tiny, one on my keychain, and one on by dogtag chain. Never know when you may need to cut some tape, or paper, or string, etc.

I also carry a cane. I have bad knees, so it is useful should my knees flare up and require the extra balance and support. All the sword techniques translate fairly well to a cane as most stickfighting is based on edged weapon skills.

1_61_Cane_Fu_swing_320.jpg

mjones

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
bigtoe416 wrote:

I miss the days of being able to carry a knife onboard an airplane. Now its the only place I don't carry at least one knife. I have a standing rule with my wife...If I can't get where we're going with at least a clip folder, we don't go.

We go to allot of shows at the Nokia theater in downtown LA accross the street from the Staples center. Its a venue which uses metal detectors and wands. I just toss my knife into the bottom of her purse shortly before entering. Her purse gets 'inspected' by hand while we go throught the detectors...they have yet to ever notice.

oc4ever

imported post

It is funny how the women get the pass on searches. I walked to the entrance of the Anaheim Pond to watch a hockey game. I then realized that i had a 1 foot long screwdriver in a jacket pocket. I put into the bottom of my wife's purse and she walked past security after they looked inside. I got "wanded"., but had my knife....I mean screwdriver... back once inside the arena.

woody510

imported post

i always drop it in my boot and tell'em there stel toes usually let my go had 2 times where they tried to wand my shoes but still got away metal lace holes:celebrate

Streetbikerr6

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
bigtoe416 wrote:

Very funny story. You know, I have seen a lot of stabbing of my friends from mexican gang bangers at parties so I have always looked at knives as like a liberal would look at a gun owner. Sort of ironic I am so pro-gun yet I don't like the idea of carrying a knife, weird huh?? I obviously need enlightenment on the laws, though is concealed carry of a knife legal on campus? (as your college class)

Decoligny

imported post

Streetbikerr6 wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:
bigtoe416 wrote:

Very funny story. You know, I have seen a lot of stabbing of my friends from mexican gang bangers at parties so I have always looked at knives as like a liberal would look at a gun owner. Sort of ironic I am so pro-gun yet I don't like the idea of carrying a knife, weird huh?? I obviously need enlightenment on the laws, though is concealed carry of a knife legal on campus? (as your college class)
You are legally limited to a knife with a blade no longer than 2.5 inches on Campus.

626.10. (a) Any person, except a duly appointed peace officer as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, a full-time paid peace officer of another state or the federal government who is carrying out official duties while in this state, a person summoned by any officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace while the person is actually engaged in assisting any officer, or a member of the military forces of this state or the United States who is engaged in the performance of his or her duties, who brings or possesses any dirk, dagger, ice pick, knife having a blade longer than 2 1/2 inches, folding knife with a blade that locks into place, a razor with an unguarded blade, a taser, or a stun gun, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 244.5, any instrument that expels a metallic projectile such as a BB or a pellet, through the force of air pressure, CO 2 pressure, or spring action, or any spot marker gun, upon the grounds of, or within, any public or private school providing instruction in kindergarten or any of grades 1 to 12, inclusive, is guilty of a public offense, punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison.
(b) Any person, except a duly appointed peace officer as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, a full-time paid peace officer of another state or the federal government who is carrying out official duties while in this state, a person summoned by any officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace while the person is actually engaged in assisting any officer, or a member of the military forces of this state or the United States who is engaged in the performance of his or her duties, who brings or possesses any dirk, dagger, ice pick, or knife having a fixed blade longer than 21/2 inches upon the grounds of, or within, any private university, the University of California, the California State University, or the California Community Colleges is guilty of a public offense, punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison.
(c) Subdivisions (a) and (b) do not apply to any person who brings or possesses a knife having a blade longer than 21/2 inches or a razor with an unguarded blade upon the grounds of, or within, a public or private school providing instruction in kindergarten or any of grades 1 to 12, inclusive, or any private university, state university, or community college at the direction of a faculty member of the private university, state university, or community college, or a certificated or classified employee of the school for use in a private university, state university, community college, or school-sponsored activity or class.
(d) Subdivisions (a) and (b) do not apply to any person who brings or possesses an ice pick, a knife having a blade longer than 21/2 inches, or a razor with an unguarded blade upon the grounds of, or within, a public or private school providing instruction in kindergarten or any of grades 1 to 12, inclusive, or any private university, state university, or community college for a lawful purpose within the scope of the person's employment.
(e) Subdivision (b) does not apply to any person who brings or possesses an ice pick or a knife having a fixed blade longer than 21/2 inches upon the grounds of, or within, any private university, state university, or community college for lawful use in or around a residence or residential facility located upon those grounds or for lawful use in food preparation or consumption.
(f) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any person who brings an instrument that expels a metallic projectile such as a BB or a pellet, through the force of air pressure, CO2 pressure, or spring action, or any spot marker gun upon the grounds of, or within, a public or private school providing instruction in kindergarten or any of grades 1 to 12, inclusive, if the person has the written permission of the school principal or his or her designee.
(g) Any certificated or classified employee or school peace officer of a public or private school providing instruction in kindergarten or any of grades 1 to 12, inclusive, may seize any of the weapons described in subdivision (a), and any certificated or classified employee or school peace officer of any private university, state university, or community college may seize any of the weapons described in subdivision (b), from the possession of any person upon the grounds of, or within, the school if he or she knows, or has reasonable cause to know, the person is prohibited from bringing or possessing the weapon upon the grounds of, or within, the school.
(h) As used in this section, "dirk" or "dagger" means a knife or other instrument with or without a handguard that is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death.
(i) Any person who, without the written permission of the college or university president or chancellor or his or her designee, brings or possesses a less lethal weapon, as defined in Section 12601, or a stun gun, as defined in Section 12650, upon the grounds of or within, a public or private college or university campus is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

awesome stuff. Any suggestions on the type of blades I should look into as I have no knowledge of any manufacturers or durability. Also, I am guessing no spring loaded is allowed. Can it be openly carried on a campus? If for instance I grab for my keys and accidently pull out my knife and it falls on the ground (closed together), am I in trouble?

edit : also, can I carry openly in my car, say on my car seat? can I literally go into any building with a blade legally?

mjones

imported post

Streetbikerr6 wrote:
awesome stuff. Any suggestions on the type of blades I should look into as I have no knowledge of any manufacturers or durability. Also, I am guessing no spring loaded is allowed. Can it be openly carried on a campus? If for instance I grab for my keys and accidently pull out my knife and it falls on the ground (closed together), am I in trouble?
Any Benchmade Axis-Lock Folder - I think these are the best bang for the buck of any knife made.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Decoligny wrote:
...a knife having a fixed blade longer than 21/2 inches upon the grounds of...
I like to think that this is an improper fraction which reduces down to 10.5 inches. It makes me less angry that way.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Pretty sure the folder I had in that class was a 3" blade. A year later I replaced it with a bigger folder with a sturdier design.

To be clear, the 2.5" limitation is for FIXED blade knives. Folders have no limit (if anybody can find a 18" folder I'm interested).

(ETA: different rules apply for any K-12s. IMO avoid those "fish-in-a-barrel" zones if at all possible.)

Another great reason to carry a folder is that they can be concealed... so long as they aren't locked open (so don't open a folder and stuff it into a fixed blade belt holster or your boot and call it good).

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

N6ATF wrote:
marshaul wrote:
lol, I have like a 12' folder back in Virginia. I should carry that sometime. :lol:
A 12 FOOT folder? In the immortal words of Chris Farley, "Sweet mother of GOD!"
lol, damn shift key.

12-foot, now THAT would be something! :D

Edit: TBH I don't even know what the thing is for. Maybe someone can enlighten me?

A buddy owed me $10 or so and the knife seemed like it cost more than that so I accepted it as a repayment of the debt. Buddy didn't really want it. I just keep it because it's funny. :lol: