• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Calguns OC/UOC Wiki

pullnshoot25

imported post

So I have been asked to spearhead the UOC wiki page for the Calguns Wiki and I could use some help in undertaking this project. I have a decent start but more needs to be added, edited, clarified, etc. This will be a way for us to conduct outreach to a great many people, not just Calgunners.

If you want to join the project, please email me at trackerpacker@gmail.com

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

mjones wrote:
emailed...

Shouldn't this bea full OC wiki? as in not just UOC?
Pretty sure the intent is to make a California-oriented open carry wiki... at least that's the way I'm approaching it... I view it as a way to put every pertinent topic we've discussed here into a 1-page nutshell.

Someone let me know if I'm doing it wrong!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

great - somebody in California needs to go to a law library and photo copy the 1968 AG opinion on open carry, pdf it, and link to it from the wiki - this AG opinion, cited by the court in People v. Knight explains why the Cal. state ban on shooting on roads does not make rural roads prohibited areas within the meaning of Section 12031.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mike wrote:
great - somebody in California needs to go to a law library and photo copy the 1968 AG opinion on open carry, pdf it, and link to it from the wiki - this AG opinion, cited by the court in People v. Knight explains why the Cal. state ban on shooting on roads does not make rural roads prohibited areas within the meaning of Section 12031.
How would such a thing be located once at the library?

Please forgive my ignorance.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
So I have been asked to spearhead the UOC wiki page for the Calguns Wiki and I could use some help in undertaking this project. I have a decent start but more needs to be added, edited, clarified, etc. This will be a way for us to conduct outreach to a great many people, not just Calgunners.

If you want to join the project, please email me at trackerpacker@gmail.com
I'm in. but UOC only? What about LOC?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

marshaul wrote:

Ask for a book of AG opinions from california - you might have to go to a Cal. law school but many courthouses have librairies. You could aslo ask the Ag office for a copy - maybe they will give it to you?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mike wrote:
marshaul wrote:

Ask for a book of AG opinions from california - you might have to go to a Cal. law school but many courthouses have librairies.  You could aslo ask the Ag office for a copy - maybe they will give it to you?
There's a big law library at the civic center / courthouse here in SF. That ought to do.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I'll try to call around tomorrow to see if any libraries nearby have the opinion

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

marshaul wrote:

I hear rumors of libraries employing people who do stuff like organize and catalog the contents of the library. If such a person exists, (s)he might be able to direct you in your journey.

:lol:

I still have trouble believing this stuff isn't on the interweb somewhere... looks like one of us is gonna have to venture outside of their house... NOT IT!

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

lol I'm going to head downtown tomorrow or the day after anyway. I can try then.

And, yes, the notion of asking had occurred to me... but it's still alien not using the internet to find information! :shock:

bigtoe416

imported post

The law library has it behind their desk, the address is 401 Van Ness, 4th floor. Their hours are 8:30 to 5.

If I don't hear that you got it Marshaul then I'll go photocopy it on Thursday.

ETA: Here is the citation: 51 Ops.Cal.Atty.Gen. 197 (1968). I believe that is volume 51, page 197.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sorry, I didn't make it there in time. I drove by on my way to get food, but it was already 4:55.

Looks like you're up.

Let me know if you don't go. I'll go on Friday if not.

bigtoe416

imported post

I have it right here, but everybody will have to wait until I'm in front of a pdf worthy photocopy machine.

The conclusions of the opinion are:

1. The term "firearm" as used in PC 12031 includes rifles and shotguns.
2. PC 12031 does not prohibit the carrying of a rifle or shotgun with unexpended shells or cartridges in the magazine on a public road in an unincorporated area where there are no local ordinances or other laws or regulations prohibiting the discharge of firearms.
3. PC 374c does make every "public road or highway" a "prohibited area" as defined in section 12031.
4. The term "public street" as used in section 12031 is not synonymous with "public road or highway" as used in PC 374c.
5. The "safety zone" described in FGC 3004 is a "prohibited area" as defined in section 12031, but carrying of loaded weapons is proscribed therein only when it coincides with a "public place."

I believe conclusion 2 was what we cared about, so here's the analysis (bold is my emphasis):

Question No. 2 requests an opinion whether section 12031 prohibits the carrying of a loaded firearm on a public road in an unincorporated area. We conclude that section 12031 does not prohibit the carrying of loaded firearms on such public ways. For the reasons set forth in our answer to question No. 4, the term "public streets" in section 12031(a) must be given a narrow construction. There is a distinction between "public roads" and "public streets" which is discussed more fully below. The proscriptions of section 12031 are therefore not applicable to "public roads" because they are not "public streets" as that term is used in section 12301 (footnote: The carrying of a rifle or shotgun in a vehicle with an unexpended round in the chamber is prohibited on "public highways" by Fish and Game Code section 2006, which provides in part: "It is unlawful to possess a loaded rifle or shotgun in any vehicle...which is standing on or along or is being driven on or along any public highway or other way open to the public." "A rifle or shotgun shall be deemed loaded...when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in the firing chamber but not when the only cartridges or shells are in the magazine.")

ETA: Typos...lemme know if there are any more.

coolusername2007

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
"A rifle or shotgun shall be deemed loaded...when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in the firing chamber but not when the only cartridges or shells are in the magazine.")
Too bad that doesn't apply to pistols. :banghead: