• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Revolvers, .357 Mag or the .41 need some insight

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Batousaii wrote:
- I carry a Single action 45... final thought ... your either quick, or dead.

How often to you carry the single action?

Do you ever carry something else? How often?

Batousaii

imported post

Hank, good question,

- I have a good selection of arms, pistols included. For many years i OC'd a .357 Ruger GP100 (DA Revolver) in a drop loop on private property, very comfortable. Those days i would CC a 9mm CZ-75B (DA Auto) when going into town... I still have both.

- For many years after my main arm was a Colt .45 Auto combat commander (SA Auto) and i still CC that gun when OC is not preferred.

- I currently OC my SA Ruger Vaquero most of the time, with current weather, it usually gets covered (partially or fully) by one of my coats... or if windy/rainy CC the .45acp

In my time i have carried many other pistols at various parts of my life, to include: Tokarev 7.62x25, Beretta 25A, 1860 Army replica (cap-n-ball) etc.

- I feel each type of pistol requires a specific skill set, some obviously being preferred over others. Many ask why i prefer ye-old single action revolver, well, again, simplicity provides a certain elegance in the manipulation of the arm. I feel the natural, almost mystical pointability of that guns shape and balance afford a first shot placement that surpasses any other pistol i have fired. Combined with that models ultra reliability, strength, and ability to fire a caliber that is stout, hard hitting, and gives versatile selection of ammo. The fact that i have a strong synergy with the gun, and confidence in my ability to place rounds quickly on their mark, i would not feel out-gunned or incapable of adequately defending myself in a hostile situation. If i really really needed more, i would consider carrying one of my assault rifles. being that we are not fighting zombies, or ravaging hordes of desert wastelanders, i am confident 6 rounds will be adequate to accommodate any average situation. If things begin to show signs that of apocalyptic nature, i will go to my gun safe and acquire something that fits that requirement. A couple of Thugs? .. They better be fast....

- Yes, in reality, i could probably do evenmore effective fast hand damage with my .45acp (assuming it was 100% reliable), and even MORE withone of my combat rifles (fn-fal, ak-47, m-14, uzi).. however, Auto's jam, primers fail, parts break... all in all, and all things considered, i trust the ultimate reliabilityof my SA Ruger for my daily ventures through a relatively civilized society with the possibility of encountering an aberrant pre-wastelander.

:cool:Bat

and P.S. to address the OP topic, if you consider yourself of average skill, i recommend the DA .357. relatively easier to use in a stressful situation, and both .357 and 41 are excellent rounds. I dont think ammo availability is the question when in a defensive situation, since what you have in the gun, and on person for reloads is really what matters. IF you are willing to master the skill of a single action wheelgun, then by all means do so and feel confident once you have refined the art. Simple fact is that most incidents involving firearms in a defensive capability do not include or require a reload, the "slow reload" of a single action is of minimal concern in an average self defense encounter. DO however practice unload and reload drills (use fake rounds or snap caps please) and also consider small back up gun if this is a concern or point of contention. I am considering a modern 2-shot derringer to protect myself during a reload... it would reside in a holster on my gunbelt. I cant reload as fast as an auto, but i am not a snail either, so a backup is an appealing and realistic answer to offset the slow reload.

Mo.Co. Original

imported post

Batousaii this may sound stupid but what are "Snap Rounds"?

I think im going to stick with the .357 I feel more comfortable with it for now. Have plenty of rounds for it unlike my .41 which I am hard pressed to find rounds anywhere around where I live.

I am also looking for someone to show me the ropes on reloading properly, I have everything I need to do it, all the dies for .357 .38sp and .41 I just dont know how much powder to put in the round, I have attempted it before and didnt put enough in and the slug got stuck in the barrel, I know sounds stupid but it did happen cause I was affraid of putting too much in and either blowing up when I seated the slug, or when I shot the round

Marco

imported post

Mo.Co. Original wrote:
what are "Snap Rounds"?

http://www.pistoleer.com/azoom/

This will explain snap caps.
As far as learning to reload search your local GS to see if any teach a class.

The easiet way to find .41mag ammo is to order it online.

Midway and Double Tap usually have some on hand.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=3&categoryId=7551&categoryString=653***691***

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_88

Alexcabbie

imported post

.357 is the better choice, IMO because it is lighter and easier to present and aim quickly. Plus a wide range of ammo in TWO calibers for ONE weapon, and range practice is that much less expensive.

As to handloads, I wouldn't use them unless (a) I loaded them myself or (b) I personally knew of the reputation of the person who did the loading. everything from duds to gun explosions can result from wrongly loaded ammo. Although if your weapon blew up in a street confrontation the BG would possibly die from laughing so hard....

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
.357 is the better choice, IMO because it is lighter and easier to present and aim quickly.  Plus a wide range of ammo in TWO calibers for ONE weapon, and range practice is that much less expensive.  

As to handloads, I wouldn't use them unless (a) I loaded them myself or (b) I personally knew of the reputation of the person who did the loading.  everything from duds to gun explosions can result from wrongly loaded ammo. Although if your weapon blew up in a street confrontation the BG would possibly die from laughing so hard....

The .41 also shoots more than one cartridge. So the actual difference is the .41 makes a bigger hole, and dumps more energy into the target because of the heavier bullet. The weight difference between a .357 and a .41 is not that great. Usually adrenaline can overcome most of that difference.

Southern Boy, Sonora Rebel and others will be along in a while to say this, so I might just as well say it now.

Your best choices for self defense carry calibers always begin with 4.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

You need to get a Reloading manual. They come out every 2 years I think. They have all of the info on all the proper loads for each caliber, bullet, etc... Follow the instructions and you will have properly effective rounds!