• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

help identifying OLD shotguns

scorpio_vette

imported post

so this weekend i picked up 2 roughly 100year old 12ga single barrel shotguns.

they're the ones that "fold" open in the center (break action???). they need some SERIOUS SERIOUS SERIOUS cleaning and polishing, but seem to be fully functional as far as i can tell.

can anybody help me locate some information on these 2 guns???

Here is all the information that i was able to find stamped into the 2 guns.

hopkins & allen arms company
norwichconn usa
serial# A8128

Springfield Arms company
Chicopee falls. mass. usa
patent 1787004

DSC_7533.jpg

DSC_7534.jpg

DSC_7537.jpg

DSC_7538.jpg

and then 1 of the two guns has this little lever that allows you to take off a piece. can somebody explain to me what it is, or what it's purpose is???
DSC_7539.jpg

DSC_7540.jpg

DSC_7541.jpg

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Seems like you've already identified them. :p

I'm not sure what you're looking for.

According to the internets,

The roll markings of Hopkins and Allen Manufacturing Co. was used from 1868 to 1898. Hopkins and Allen Arms Co. was used from 1898 to early 1900s.

They were budget shotguns. Supposedly the line was discontinued in 1916 when Marlin bought the bankrupt company.

Don't know anything about the Springfield. It's a Springfield. And it's old. And, it's probably not worth very much.

Edit: I think the handguard comes off like that so that it doesn't have to be attached to the stock or receiver. Thus, no hinge needed at the pivot point for the handguard. Just a guess from the photos without having it in my hands.

scorpio_vette

imported post

i was hoping to find some history on them as far as how old (not sure how close it's possible to date them), worth, etc...

was also wondering if the one with the serial number would tell us anything about it if there was some way to look up serial number information.

architect

imported post

> 1 of the two guns has this little lever that allows you to take off a piece. can somebody explain to me what it is, or what it's purpose is???

Break the gun open with the "piece" removed. Surprise! It comes apart! Many side-by-side doubles work the same way.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

architect wrote:
> 1 of the two guns has this little lever that allows you to take off a piece. can somebody explain to me what it is, or what it's purpose is???

Break the gun open with the "piece" removed.  Surprise! It comes apart! Many side-by-side doubles work the same way.
Ah, clever.