• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So, what are you doing to promote OC in AZ?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

GWbiker wrote:
TOF wrote:
kenpoprofessor wrote:
Decoligny wrote:
Put in a full magand rack one into the chamber the moment I cross the border.

Tell them boys over at Calguns, since I've moved, we've had several pro gun bills pass in our State legislature, and I'm doing my part from a free state. They say I was a coward for not staying and fighting, does it look like I laid down in submission?

So just how long have you been agitating in Arizona.

We did pretty well here until outsiders started trying to address issues in the context of their previous residence.

You locals did pretty well here until the early 90's when a few activist Judges really screwed up Arizona gun rights.

So, who put those Judges in office? Wasn't us "outsiders".

I'm from Pennsylvania where you can legally OC into a restaurant that serves booze and have a few. And a Pennsylvania "License To Carry" concealed is about $25, depending on county.

WE can all work together in Arizona, or we can squabble among ourselves while the anti-gun libs push us aside as they work their agenda.

The 'activist' judges were elected by the 'outsiders' who've brought their political baggage with 'em 'n vote that way. Particularly any who have any connections to the U of A along with imported liberal Democrats. By the '90's... the outsiders were here in force. 'Was a time when I could walk into any bar or restaurant in AZ 'n hand my gunbelt to the barkeep. Sure... I'd love to not have to do that. People carried concealed here before there was any permit 'n drank anyway. Many still do. Who's to know? It's concealed.

People still get hassled and disarmed in PA... according to the PA forum. 'Seems to happen a lot. How come?

TOF

imported post

I have only lived in Arizona since 1940, the date of my birth, so I realy don't know much about the place but I am learning.

What I do know is the first population sign I recall seing when entering or leaving Phoenix City Limits indicated something like 48,000 Population.

More than a few of the 3 or 4 million currently in the area moved here from somewhere else. Most didn't mess with things to much but a few just had to jump up on their soapboxes and start screwing things up.

I would ask those on this forum to look around and see what is here before trying to make it like NYC or LA or wherever.

Activism does not always yield intended results. Think about things a bit before raising too much hell.

mFonz77

imported post

Well I'm from MO, and while there are pretty good RKBA laws there, I have to say AZ is the most gun-friendly place I've lived so far. Agree we all need to work together and keep the liberals in their own hippie enclaves if that's how they want to live (undefended).

yelohamr

imported post

mFonz77 wrote:
Agree we all need to work together and keep the liberals in their own hippie enclaves if that's how they want to live (undefended).
About 300 miles WEST of San Diego would be a good place for them.

imported post

kenpoprofessor wrote:
Pistol-Packing-Preacher-in-PV wrote:
kenpoprofessor wrote:
We've been busy organizing dinners, OC Light Rail Rides, possible BBQ in parks, and a few other things to look at to express our 2A rights in a legal way.Goal: toexpose ourselves to the hoplophobes that we are just ordinary people, not some gun wielding maniacs on the street. That firearms can be handled and carried by the normal citizen without goinginto mass murder mode.

A right not used will be a right abused, I'm trying to keep our rights intact, what are you doing.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde
Let's see. I've been OC'ing since I was around 16 or so, let's figure 30+ years. I OC everywhere I go, only CC when absolutely necessary (I confess, wherever a "No Weapons Allowed" sign is -- so sue me.) *GRIN*

What am I doing? Exercising my right as a part of my lifestyle.

While I can appreciate the act, what are you doing to be able to keep that right? If you simply partake in the act that's legal now, what are you going to do when it's threatened? You act as if it's not such a big deal because you've simply been able to do it most of your life, but that's not the case for some of us. We'd like to continue the right that has become no so common place these days. It makes me wonder why you're even on the board discussing it if it's not such a big deal to you.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde
Consider this: even if OC *DOES* become illegal by legislative fiat (or a Martial Law declaration, or whatever), I will continue to OC regardless of the consequences. It would take a constitutional amendment to change that right, so my fight would be carried out in that light.

Why I'm here is not especially relevant in your sight, I guess. As it is, I originally signed on to find other OC folks, see how "outsiders" adapt to their new-found freedoms, and generally keep an ear out for what's happening. It's nice to tool around in a forum where most folks are like-minded when it comes to firearms. Quite refreshing, actually.

If I don't live up to your standards of activism -- oh, well. I guess us natives ain't necessarily that easily riled. *GRIN*

GWbiker

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
People still get hassled and disarmed in PA... according to the PA forum.  'Seems to happen a lot.  How come?

Aside from the Barney Fife mentality of the Anthracite Coal area Dickson City Cops, where else are PA OC/CC individuals being hassled n' disarmed?

In over 30 years I was never hassled or disarmed for OC or CC in Pennsylvania, nor was I ever hassled in Arizona in recent years. Maybe it's because when I carry I mind my own business, unlike some others who prefer to provoke the sheeple or make some sort of "statement".

like_the_roman

imported post

GWbiker wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
People still get hassled and disarmed in PA... according to the PA forum. 'Seems to happen a lot. How come?

Aside from the Barney Fife mentality of the Anthracite Coal area Dickson City Cops, where else are PA OC/CC individuals being hassled n' disarmed?
Remember the late Melanie Hain who had her LTCF revoked by the sheriff for carrying to a park where her kid's soccer game was being held? That's still pretty fresh in people's minds.

Additionally:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum46/32299.html

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum46/32638.html

Also, to get an idea of where Pennsylvania is heading as far as attitudes towards guns goes, look here and see how many PA mayors are members of Bloomberg's group (notice that mayors from Arizona are completely absent):

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=254&issue=011

Thoreau

imported post

Let's see, what am I doing to promote OC? Overall, really not much since I tend to CC probably 70-80% of the time. But I:

1) Do OC when hiking/camping, and usually for the duration of any road trips associated with that so I've made an anti-gunner or two blink a few times at rest stops, grocery stores and mini marts/gas stations =)

2) Have een battling a lack of overall responsiveness in getting the McDowell Sonoran Preserve to correct their gunbuster signage/rules ever since that kid with the AR-style airsoft rifle got arrested there.

3) Wonder why more of the organized OC events aren't like the recent light rail one. Sure, OC dinners are great, but the exposure from something like that is minimal and really only preaches to the choir =)

Sonora Rebel

imported post

GWbiker wrote:
<snip>... when I carry I mind my own business, unlike some others who prefer to provoke the sheeple or make some sort of "statement".

Those of us who've carried for a long time tend not to do so to provoke anyone or entertain the novelty of making a statement of any sort. It's not necessary and counter-productive. All things in moderation as it were. I carry for my own defense. (Period)

If an 'anti' or noob notices the gun (stink-eyed)... :uhoh:I don't care. If they make a negative comment... I'll either ignore it or give one of the stock answers... or whatever seems appropriate to the encounter. Weare all awarethat random encounters with various nut-jobs are gonna happen. They just don't happen that much in Arizona. If somebody starts yellin' "He's got a gun... or some other grandstanding hystronics" they're obviously noobs. Just continue doing what you're doing 'n let somebody else 'educate' them... 'cause they'll swear up 'n down you threatened them just by your armedpresence.

Some people who come here from the nanny states are stone ignorant on the actual 'right' to bear arms. They've never seen it up-close and react in the manner they've been programmed to respond.

GWbiker

imported post

Remember the late Melanie Hain who had her LTCF revoked by the sheriff for carrying to a park where her kid's soccer game was being held? That's still pretty fresh in people's minds

And we all remember Melanie Hain had her LTCF restored by a Judge?

Why are we engaging into a "My state gun rights are better than your state gun rights" pissing match??

TOF

imported post

Well GW, the pissing match started out against those not attending the mass rallies promoting OC. Those bad bad boys.

It later appeared to me to be based on "mistreatment" by the state of California of a forum member who is getting even with Kalifornia by being an activist in Arizona. I'm not sure how that works.

As usual when a pissing contest occurs several different feet might get wet.

That’s my take on it.

Everybody have a nice day.

yelohamr

imported post

TOF wrote:

"It later appeared to me to be based on "mistreatment" by the state of California of a forum member who is getting even with Kalifornia by being an activist in Arizona. I'm not sure how that works."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

In the California OC forum, I was told that I could be banned by Calguns for going against the grain. Calguns wants all people OCing in to stand down until the court cases are over.

Right now we can onlyUOC and I do everyday. Calguns can go pound sand. I've got 28 years of LE under my gun belt. I know how to act around cops.

Next month I'll be visiting the Free State of Arizona, where I can OC the correct way.

TOF

imported post

yelohamr wrote:
TOF wrote:

"It later appeared to me to be based on "mistreatment" by the state of California of a forum member who is getting even with Kalifornia by being an activist in Arizona. I'm not sure how that works."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

In the California OC forum, I was told that I could be banned by Calguns for going against the grain. Calguns wants all people OCing in to stand down until the court cases are over.

Right now we can onlyUOC and I do everyday. Calguns can go pound sand. I've got 28 years of LE under my gun belt. I know how to act around cops.

Next month I'll be visiting the Free State of Arizona, where I can OC the correct way.

I hope you enjoy your time in Arizona. You are not the individual I was commenting about. I fully understand that there is a significant problem in California. What I have attempted to say is: California is where the California problem should be addressed not on the streets of Arizona. You are certainly welcome to OC in Arizona as far as I am concerned and as far as Arizona law is concerned if you are not a felon etc.

Enjoy :celebrate

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
<snip> If somebody starts yellin' "He's got a gun... or some other grandstanding hystronics" they're obviously noobs. Just continue doing what you're doing 'n let somebody else 'educate' them... 'cause they'll swear up 'n down you threatened them just by your armedpresence.

Some people who come here from the nanny states are stone ignorant on the actual 'right' to bear arms. They've never seen it up-close and react in the manner they've been programmed to respond.
Pay close attention to this, folks. A friend of mine, who lives in Williams, had to spend better than $10K defending himself against charges brought by the Coconino County Prosecutor for having the audacity to wear a gun, and when confronted by lunatic out-of-staters about it (in an aggressive manner, no less (i.e. four people trying to surround him whilst yelling, etc.)), for putting his back to a wall and assuming a defensive posture (without even presenting).

Eventually, he won. Just be careful around people who proclaim you a "threat" for just being heeled. In a Liberally-infested area (such as Coco Co.), you might run into some expensive trouble.

GWbiker

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote: 
<snip> If somebody starts yellin'  "He's got a gun... or some other grandstanding hystronics"  they're obviously noobs.  Just continue doing what you're doing 'n let somebody else 'educate' them... 'cause they'll swear up 'n down you threatened them just by your armed presence. 

Some people who come here from the nanny states are stone ignorant on the actual 'right' to bear arms.  They've never seen it up-close and react in the manner they've been programmed to respond.
Pay close attention to this, folks. A friend of mine, who lives in Williams, had to spend better than $10K defending himself against charges brought by the Coconino County Prosecutor for having the audacity to wear a gun, and when confronted by lunatic out-of-staters about it (in an aggressive manner, no less (i.e. four people trying to surround him whilst yelling, etc.)), for putting his back to a wall and assuming a defensive posture (without even presenting).

Eventually, he won. Just be careful around people who proclaim you a "threat" for just being heeled. In a Liberally-infested area (such as Coco Co.), you might run into some expensive trouble.

Interesting. I guess that occurred before the law against brandishing a firearm to ward off a threat was amended. And thanks for the heads up as I'll be in Williams next Spring for a weekend BMW motorcycle rally.

Chez

imported post

Thoreau wrote
3) Wonder why more of the organized OC events aren't like the recent light rail one. Sure, OC dinners are great, but the exposure from something like that is minimal and really only preaches to the choir =)

I'm a noob when it comes to firearms, but I did attend the OC light rail event and have attended two OC dinners.

I believe that both expose the public to OC, but events like the light rail event can expose more people to the benefits of OC. We actually got to talk with the sheep and let them know that we are the good guys. Clyde is very good at starting up a conversation and directing it the right way, I was impressed. We definitely need more events like this. A positive image has a big impact!

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Arizona hasvaried demographics (and attitudes) depending upon location (and locale). Those who reside in the cities 'n towns (primarily) have a different dynamic goin' on than those of us who don't. I've discovered that most of the 'townies' have never lived in the boonies... (nor would they). 'Had a couple electricians (from Tucson) out here yesterday 'n we were outside when the coyotes began one of their 'meet 'n greet' songfests. Neither of 'em had ever heard such a large group of coyotes at once... much less that close. The coyotes do a sing-along 'bout 4 times a day for 15-30 seconds. 'Startled 'em.

Both admitted tho that they carry all the time in their homes... 'n one of 'em OC's now 'n then. Both carry 'somethin' in their vehicles all the time tho. The one guy said he didn't OC that much 'cause he was tired of the 'comments'. Neither one were native 'Zonies. Phoenix ain't 'Arizona'... Phoenix is pavement.

imported post

GWbiker wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
<snip> If somebody starts yellin' "He's got a gun... or some other grandstanding hystronics" they're obviously noobs. Just continue doing what you're doing 'n let somebody else 'educate' them... 'cause they'll swear up 'n down you threatened them just by your armedpresence.

Interesting. I guess that occurred before the law against brandishing a firearm to ward off a threat was amended. And thanks for the heads up as I'll be in Williams next Spring for a weekend BMW motorcycle rally.
As I recall, it was four or five years ago. Of course, the CoCo Co. prosecutor is rabidly anti-gun. Remember when he sent Fisher to jail for defending himself out in the wild? Thank goodness that was overturned (and the new laws were passed). Nice to force the prosecutors to prove your guilt, instead of you having to prove your innocence.

Gunfreak25

imported post

I was born and raised in this state, just turned 18 last July. Though It wasn't until manymonths later when I found out you can lawfully OC at 18. So I picked up a good holster for my handgun and ordered a box of special jacketed hollow points for it. Have been open carrying since that day now and have had zero issues. What am I doing to help promote open carry? Since open carrying I have redone how I dress, I now always wear jeans, a nice belt and always tuck my shirt in (it's rare to see today's youth dressed properly anymore). I am always polite and courteous to anyone I come into contact with. My main point being I want people to see that i'm just your average law abiding young adult exercising his right to carry. Awhile ago I did write a letter to the Yuma Daily Sun's editor, and it did make the paper. Believe it or not it triggered a series of other similar letters that people started writing to the editor, each person specifically stating they agreed with my point of view. Right now it's snowbird season and many of the old timers here are retired Military. Since day 1 of OC I have not received a single stare or negative comment from anybody. I know Mcdonalds usually tells OC's to leave their firearm in their vehicle, but today I walked into Mcdonalds and I didn't receive a second glance. I do love this town. :D

http://www.yumasun.com/articles/gun-53448-society-law.html