Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Court of Appeals Reviews

  1. #1
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    Has anyone run across a published or unpublished Court of Appeals Decision concerning hunter safety classes used as proof of competency.

    I'm just dotting my I's.

    After checking, the Circuit Court Judge that handles the permits for Lunenburg, Mecklinburg and Nottoway, is not allowing Hunter Safety classes to be used


  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,000

    Post imported post

    peter nap wrote:
    Has anyone run across a published or unpublished Court of Appeals Decision concerning hunter safety classes used as proof of competency.

    I'm just dotting my I's.

    After checking, the Circuit Court Judge that handles the permits for Lunenburg, Mecklinburg and Nottoway, is not allowing Hunter Safety classes to be used
    Shouldn't matter what the judge says. The law is the law and is very clear as to what counts for proof of competency.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    40

    Post imported post

    Haven't see any CoA decisions on the matter, but on VSP's website it states in B&W:

    The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence:

    1. Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;

    http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_...Concealed.shtm

    This same language can be found in Virginia Code Section 18.2-308.

    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308

  4. #4
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    darthmord wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    Has anyone run across a published or unpublished Court of Appeals Decision concerning hunter safety classes used as proof of competency.

    I'm just dotting my I's.

    After checking, the Circuit Court Judge that handles the permits for Lunenburg, Mecklinburg and Nottoway, is not allowing Hunter Safety classes to be used
    Shouldn't matter what the judge says. The law is the law and is very clear as to what counts for proof of competency.
    The judge either signs them or doesn't. It's always easier to show him the error than try to force them. Quicker too.

    The problem is solved now. I just finished talking to the Judge and all three Venues are now accepting the Hunter safety Course.

  5. #5
    Accomplished Advocate user's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Piedmont of Virginia
    Posts
    2,373

    Post imported post

    Good work.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

    By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Repeater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,519

    Post imported post

    peter nap wrote:
    darthmord wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    Has anyone run across a published or unpublished Court of Appeals Decision concerning hunter safety classes used as proof of competency.

    I'm just dotting my I's.

    After checking, the Circuit Court Judge that handles the permits for Lunenburg, Mecklinburg and Nottoway, is not allowing Hunter Safety classes to be used
    Shouldn't matter what the judge says. The law is the law and is very clear as to what counts for proof of competency.
    The judge either signs them or doesn't. It's always easier to show him the error than try to force them. Quicker too.

    The problem is solved now.
    Those are always wonderful words, here.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisa County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    821

    Post imported post

    Repeater wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    darthmord wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    Has anyone run across a published or unpublished Court of Appeals Decision concerning hunter safety classes used as proof of competency.

    I'm just dotting my I's.

    After checking, the Circuit Court Judge that handles the permits for Lunenburg, Mecklinburg and Nottoway, is not allowing Hunter Safety classes to be used
    Shouldn't matter what the judge says. The law is the law and is very clear as to what counts for proof of competency.
    The judge either signs them or doesn't. It's always easier to show him the error than try to force them. Quicker too.

    The problem is solved now.
    Those are always wonderful words, here.
    And they're spoken quite often.

    Gotta love an educated, active citizenry.

  8. #8
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    Glock27Bill wrote:
    Repeater wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    darthmord wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    Has anyone run across a published or unpublished Court of Appeals Decision concerning hunter safety classes used as proof of competency.

    I'm just dotting my I's.

    After checking, the Circuit Court Judge that handles the permits for Lunenburg, Mecklinburg and Nottoway, is not allowing Hunter Safety classes to be used
    Shouldn't matter what the judge says. The law is the law and is very clear as to what counts for proof of competency.
    The judge either signs them or doesn't. It's always easier to show him the error than try to force them. Quicker too.

    The problem is solved now.
    Those are always wonderful words, here.
    And they're spoken quite often.

    Gotta love an educated, active citizenry.
    I can't take much if any credit for straightening it out. With the exception of some dog hunters from Mecklinburg, I don't thing there i an arrogant or otherwise disagreeable person down there.

    It was a simple misunderstanding between the Deputy Clerks and the Judge. The misunderstanding was that not all people who had hunting licenses had a Hunter Safety Course. Now every man, woman and child down there has a hunting license (except me)
    so the Deputy Clerks thought there had to be something that indicated range time, to go with it. There is something....the hunter safety certificate.

    With the aforementioned exception, everyone down there is pretty agreeable, so if someone in the Clerks office says "that won't do" they just go along with it.

    It took me less than 20 minutes to get everything on track and that included some gossip time with the Clerk.

    The Judge knew the law and wasn't aware of the issue.

    The CC Clerk knew the law but was a little unclear about the license/certificate and had no problem with it.

    The Deputy Clerk didn't know the law and just thought she was doing what was required.

    There just weren't any bad guys, just a miscommunication.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •