• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Court of Appeals Reviews

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Has anyone run across a published or unpublished Court of Appeals Decision concerning hunter safety classes used as proof of competency.

I'm just dotting my I's.

After checking, the Circuit Court Judge that handles the permits for Lunenburg, Mecklinburg and Nottoway, is not allowing Hunter Safety classes to be used

darthmord

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Has anyone run across a published or unpublished Court of Appeals Decision concerning hunter safety classes used as proof of competency.

I'm just dotting my I's.

After checking, the Circuit Court Judge that handles the permits for Lunenburg, Mecklinburg and Nottoway, is not allowing Hunter Safety classes to be used
Shouldn't matter what the judge says. The law is the law and is very clear as to what counts for proof of competency.

NoVA York

imported post

Haven't see any CoA decisions on the matter, but on VSP's website it states in B&W:

The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence:

1. Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm

This same language can be found in Virginia Code Section 18.2-308.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

darthmord wrote:
peter nap wrote:

I'm just dotting my I's.

Shouldn't matter what the judge says. The law is the law and is very clear as to what counts for proof of competency.
The judge either signs them or doesn't. It's always easier to show him the error than try to force them. Quicker too.

The problem is solved now. I just finished talking to the Judge and all three Venues are now accepting the Hunter safety Course.

Repeater

imported post

peter nap wrote:
darthmord wrote:
peter nap wrote:

I'm just dotting my I's.

The judge either signs them or doesn't. It's always easier to show him the error than try to force them. Quicker too.

The problem is solved now.
Those are always wonderful words, here.

Glock27Bill

imported post

Repeater wrote:
peter nap wrote:
darthmord wrote:
peter nap wrote:

I'm just dotting my I's.

And they're spoken quite often.

Gotta love an educated, active citizenry.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
Repeater wrote:
peter nap wrote:
darthmord wrote:
peter nap wrote:

I'm just dotting my I's.

And they're spoken quite often.

Gotta love an educated, active citizenry.
I can't take much if any credit for straightening it out. With the exception of some dog hunters from Mecklinburg, I don't thing there i an arrogant or otherwise disagreeable person down there.

It was a simple misunderstanding between the Deputy Clerks and the Judge. The misunderstanding was that not all people who had hunting licenses had a Hunter Safety Course. Now every man, woman and child down there has a hunting license (except me:uhoh:)
so the Deputy Clerks thought there had to be something that indicated range time, to go with it. There is something....the hunter safety certificate.

With the aforementioned exception, everyone down there is pretty agreeable, so if someone in the Clerks office says "that won't do" they just go along with it.

It took me less than 20 minutes to get everything on track and that included some gossip time with the Clerk.

The Judge knew the law and wasn't aware of the issue.

The CC Clerk knew the law but was a little unclear about the license/certificate and had no problem with it.

The Deputy Clerk didn't know the law and just thought she was doing what was required.

There just weren't any bad guys, just a miscommunication.