Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Specific Question on Ohio Open Carry

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Barberton, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    I calledBarberton and AkronOhio police department today to ask them if there was anything I had to do to be able to open carry. They had told me that I would have to pay 60 dollars for a gun safety course. Is this true or a way to get money from me. I did some research on the laws on the internet and it didnt mention anything about taking a safety course. It said no permit or license was required. It just said that you couldnt be a felon or have any misdemeanor drug charges. I was just wondering if anyone could clear this up for me because I am unclear on this issue. My guns arebought legallyand everything. I just want to do this as legal as I can. I was also wondering can it be cocked and loaded. I would appreciate any information or laws that anybody knows that could clear this up for me. Thank you and God bless.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Barberton, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    Thank you very much. It is not required to have your guns registered inOhio but since I buy mine from the gun shop they are automaticallyregistered with the F.B.I.It is so hard to get straight answers about this kind of thing. It is like they dont want us to know the truth. Thank you once again and God bless.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Englewood, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    654

    Post imported post

    No training required..

    No regristration in Ohio.. so I don't know what your talking about on that point.

    You cannot carry a loaded weapon or have any magizines, clips, speed loaders etc.. loaded either..in a vehicle in Ohio unless you have a CHL

    Also you didn't say where you are at in Ohio.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Barberton, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    I thought city laws couldnt conflict with State laws. That is why I didnt specify. I am in Barberton Akron area. The gun shop I go to said that my guns are registered with the F.B.I. I was not trying to make a point or anything that is just what they said to me. I know it is not necessary to register in ohio that is just what they told me. Thank you for your replies. You guys have been very helpful. God bless the USA

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Barberton, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    Thank you for clearing that up for me. I have always owned guns but I am new toOpen Carryand until recently I didnt even know that you could Open Carry. That is why I am trying to get my facts Straight before I carry my loaded gun on me. I thought the cops were full of it too when they said I had to take that $60 Firearm safety course. I thought if I did that I mind as well get my ccw. Thank you for the info.

  6. #6
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887

    Post imported post

    Besides the Ohio open carry forum here on OCDO, here are two other sites you may want to be aware of, both of which have forums:

    http://www.buckeyefirearms.org

    http://www.ohioccw.org

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Barberton, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    Thank you so much for all you guys have done to help. You guys are great for taking your time to explain things alot better to me. You guys are the real heros in this world just for sticking up for Americans Rights Because the government is always trying to take them away and leave us unprotected so we cannot limit the power of the government. The bill of rights was put there to limit the governments power and If Americans dont do this we will lose the rights if we do not Exercise them like we are suppose to.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Maineville, , USA
    Posts
    47

    Post imported post

    NavyLT wrote:
    Also, I did not realize that Ohio had gun registration!
    We don't.

  9. #9
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    jtallen1190 wrote:
    I calledBarberton and AkronOhio police department today to ask them if there was anything I had to do to be able to open carry. They had told me that I would have to pay 60 dollars for a gun safety course.
    again, never ask law enforcement officers or agencies for legal advice - you don;t expect them to encourage ou to carry, do you? if I were them, I sure would not.

    Ohio is like most states, no need for permit to open carry, at least on foot, at age 18+.

    But see recent Ohio App. Ct. deicsion apparently holding that Ohio's preemption law may not extend to open carry

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Barberton, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    But see recent Ohio App. Ct. deicsion apparently holding that Ohio's preemption law may not extend to open carry
    I googled but did not find that anywhere. In the Ohio Revised Code 9.68 states-

    The individual right to keep and bear arms, being a fundamentally individual right that predates the United States Constitution and being a constitutionally protected right in every part of Ohio.

    It goes on, I just think that it clearly states A constitutionally protected right in every part of Ohio. How could it not hold up it is there laws, They cant just make up new laws as they go. What is the Article and section of this.

    But see recent Ohio App. Ct. deicsion apparently holding that Ohio's preemption law may not extend to open carry


  11. #11
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    jtallen1190 wrote:
    I googled but did not find that anywhere. In the Ohio Revised Code 9.68 states-
    This should be easy to find - see discussion at http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum43/34026.html- and remember, the law is what the judges say it is - read that opinion, very scary and a big problem in Ohio if you have local ordiances against open cary

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Barberton, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    Mike wrote:
    This should be easy to find - see discussion at http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum43/34026.html- and remember, the law is what the judges say it is - read that opinion, very scary and a big problem in Ohio if you have local ordiances against open cary
    How would I find out the local ordnances around my area. The people should have the say in the matter. They should have the choice not the courts. This is very scary, if they take away this right, then the rest will follow.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    kent, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    474

    Post imported post

    Do not worry about Barberton ORC is dosent matter.
    Just follow the law that on the lin k that NavyLT hooked you up with and print it if you have to.
    I go through that area all the time and there is no prob with Ocing in barberton and even if there is some Jonny Law man who wants to screw with you just be polite and consult a lawer if you have any probs.
    With the registration buy a gun from a person a friend not a store,and you wont have any probs unless your a prohibited person.
    And if its the Gun Shoppe in Coverntry you went to,talk to Duane or Joe dont let who ever told you some bs screw with you. Those guys can help you out.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Barberton, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    Bustelo5% wrote:
    Do not worry about Barberton ORC is dosent matter.
    Just follow the law that on the lin k that NavyLT hooked you up with and print it if you have to.
    I go through that area all the time and there is no prob with Ocing in barberton and even if there is some Jonny Law man who wants to screw with you just be polite and consult a lawer if you have any probs.
    With the registration buy a gun from a person a friend not a store,and you wont have any probs unless your a prohibited person.
    And if its the Gun Shoppe in Coverntry you went to,talk to Duane or Joe dont let who ever told you some bs screw with you. Those guys can help you out.
    I have been open carrying a little bit just to get a little more comfortable with it. I am definitely gonna start buying my guns from my family and friends instead of the shop. I am trying to find a good lawyer also because mine told me I couldnt OC. I dont want a lawyer trying to defend me in a courtroom if they do not know the laws. I am trying to find a good Pro Gun Attorney in this Area, Any suggestions would be good.

  15. #15
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,735

    Post imported post

    jtallen1190 wrote:
    Bustelo5% wrote:
    Do not worry about Barberton ORC is dosent matter.
    Just follow the law that on the lin k that NavyLT hooked you up with and print it if you have to.
    I go through that area all the time and there is no prob with Ocing in barberton and even if there is some Jonny Law man who wants to screw with you just be polite and consult a lawer if you have any probs.
    With the registration buy a gun from a person a friend not a store,and you wont have any probs unless your a prohibited person.
    And if its the Gun Shoppe in Coverntry you went to,talk to Duane or Joe dont let who ever told you some bs screw with you. Those guys can help you out.
    I have been open carrying a little bit just to get a little more comfortable with it. I am definitely gonna start buying my guns from my family and friends instead of the shop. I am trying to find a good lawyer also because mine told me I couldnt OC. I dont want a lawyer trying to defend me in a courtroom if they do not know the laws. I am trying to find a good Pro Gun Attorney in this Area, Any suggestions would be good.
    The term "Good Lawyer" is an oxymoron. They call it practicing law, but it's tough to find one that opens up a law book and actually reads it. If the "Price is Right" then lets make a deal. Its called plea bargain.

    You will not find an attorney in your area that knows gun law or knows anything about law, if you do I would like to talk to him.

    Until you learn the basics of law you will be screwed by the court.

    But, what do I know??????????????

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •