• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

McDonald v Chicago oral arguments scheduled

gluegun

imported post

McDonald v Chicago is the next landmark court case for the Second Amendment. McDonald v Chicago was filed right after the Heller decision was released and is intended to incorporate the 2nd Amendment against states, counties, and towns.

Today, a date was set for the oral arguments in the McDonald case. Oral arguments will be heard Tuesday, March 2, 2010. We likely won't get the decision until June 2010.

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment, US Constitution

For those that aren't aware, the Heller decision states that the federal government can't impose unreasonable regulation on the right to keep and bear arms within one's home. McDonald will prevent state and local governments from imposing unreasonable regulations on the right to keep and bear arms within one's home. A future case will address the bearing of arms outside of one's home.

http://www.chicagoguncase.com/2009/11/30/argument-date-march-2-2010/

gluegun

imported post

Representative Joseph D. Courtney (CT-2, D) is the only congressman from the Connecticut delegation to sign on to the amicus curiae filed in support of McDonald in the McDonald case. Anyone in his district should contact him and let him know that you appreciate his support for gun owners and the 2nd Amendment.

You can read the amicus brief in which 251 Congressmen and 58 Senators told the Supreme Court that the 2nd should be incorporated here.

buketdude

imported post

Just sent an email over to Joe thanking him...its hard to believe (and not so hard to believe) that no other congressman/senator from ALL of Southern NE signed onto it...

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

buketdude wrote:
Just sent an email over to Joe thanking him...its hard to believe (and not so hard to believe) that no other congressman/senator from ALL of Southern NE signed onto it...
I tried to send him an email. Not being from his district, his website will not allow me to access that function. (Wrong Zip Code)
If anyone has a direct email address for him, please post it so I can thank him.

I don't care that he is not form my district, he is from my state and he did REAL GOOD.....he needs to know that Connecticut appreciates what he did for the whole country by signing on!

aadvark

imported post

It is about time..., I think we had ought tell the Brady Campaign that the First Amendment is not incorporated against the States and, together, we will see how they like it.

mrjam2jab

imported post

Lenny Benedetto wrote:
buketdude wrote:
I tried to send him an email. Not being from his district, his website will not allow me to access that function. (Wrong Zip Code)
If anyone has a direct email address for him, please post it so I can thank him.

I don't care that he is not form my district, he is from my state and he did REAL GOOD.....he needs to know that Connecticut appreciates what he did for the whole country by signing on!

Is this the same Joe Joe Courtney?