Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Blackhawk Serpa Level 2 or Level 3?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Owosso, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    86

    Post imported post

    I have seen many people comment on the qualities in this holster and was wondering if they were talking about the Level 2 or Level 3 retention system. I am looking at an OC holster for my Glock 19 and would be interested to hear any suggestions.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Hartford, MI, ,
    Posts
    353

    Post imported post

    Get the Level 2.

    The Level 3 is overkill for civilian carry, and waaay overpriced in comparison.

    Honestly, I have yet to find someone that has never seen a SERPA that it does take a few seconds for them to figure it out. Such as, you can't PULL UP + press button at the same time. Push down, and press release.

    -Richard-

  3. #3
    Regular Member EM87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    987

    Post imported post

    People are talking about the level II.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not on this website, USA
    Posts
    2,482

    Post imported post

    I have a Level 2 for my Glock 23. I suggest it too. I agree the the level 3 is overkill.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Owosso, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    86

    Post imported post

    Thank you everyone for the advice, I will be adding the SERPA to my christmas list

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Macomb County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    I love my Serpa. I may need to adjust it to be more comfortable in the car but that's my only gripe so far. To me I've seen the level 3 an it looks like a gimmick. They even have a level 4 from what I saw.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830

    Post imported post

    For extremely crowded events such as the woodward Dream Cruise, or a busy suburban shopping mall, level 3 is perfect. For daily carry, level 2 is ideal.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157

    Post imported post

    mikestilly wrote:
    I may need to adjust it to be more comfortable in the car
    I just ordered the quick disconnect kit from Optics Planet. With the standard USPS Priority Mail shipping option it came to $36.45. I'm planning on mounting one of them to the right side of my car's console. It'll be secure and easier to access than when it's on my side. When I get out of the carI can remove the entire holster and reattach it to my belt.

    Bronson




    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not on this website, USA
    Posts
    2,482

    Post imported post

    Look on Ebay. I got my Level 2 on there for $around $35 after shipping.

  10. #10
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611

    Post imported post

    office888 wrote:
    Get the Level 2.

    The Level 3 is overkill for civilian carry, and waaay overpriced in comparison.

    Honestly, I have yet to find someone that has never seen a SERPA that it does take a few seconds for them to figure it out. Such as, you can't PULL UP + press button at the same time. Push down, and press release.

    -Richard-
    Should be no reason to push down - I have three level II Serpas and they all draw/retain the same.

    Index finger drags across the release as I begin my presentation. Takes some practice to develop correct muscle memory.

    Pushing down is the opposite direction you should be using your muscles and will slow your draw.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    21

    Post imported post

    TylerJ87 wrote:
    I have seen many people comment on the qualities in this holster and was wondering if they were talking about the Level 2 or Level 3 retention system. I am looking at an OC holster for my Glock 19 and would be interested to hear any suggestions.
    Irecommend looking atother holsters. The Serpa has some serious drawbacks as part of your fighting gear. If you wear a handgun strictly for ornamentation, it should be fine, though. The two main issues are therelease button and support hand only re-holstering. There seems to be ahigh occurrence of ND upon draw w/ Serpas due to thepushbutton release. I consider this primarily an operator error, but the cold truth is that most firearms owners are not competent in the use of handguns as fighting implements. I have witnessed 1 ND w/ that holster during a class this summer.



    If you are familiar w/ support hand only use, please keep in mind reverse re-holstering will cause thetrigger guard mechanism to lock the handgun in place. Breaking parts or disassembly is required to remove the handgun from the holster at that point.



    All that being said; I have one and have used it. It came w/ a handgun I purchased. I have had no problems w/ it but I have practiced my draw stroke thousands of times. Still, when I use it I slow myself up on the draw. When I can afford it, it will be replaced. I cannot recommend a different holster because I have no other personal experience w/ other retention holsters.



    My $0.02.

  12. #12
    Regular Member JeffSayers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    629

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:

    Should be no reason to push down - I have three level II Serpas and they all draw/retain the same.

    Index finger drags across the release as I begin my presentation. Takes some practice to develop correct muscle memory.

    Pushing down is the opposite direction you should be using your muscles and will slow your draw.

    Yata hey
    Correct, the key is to hit the release before pulling upward. Otherwise you put pressure on the works and it won't release.

    I have heard of a tale where someone had a small pebble get lodged in the mechanism rendering the firearm undrawable. In the story the person was practicing some tactical proceedure and rolling on the ground though.

    The story seems quite plausible, but I still use mine with no concerns.
    United we STAND!

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Owosso, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    86

    Post imported post

    This may be a rookie question but what is ND ? I was assuming No Draw but just wanted clarification

  14. #14
    Regular Member JeffSayers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    629

    Post imported post

    Negligent discharge.
    United we STAND!

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Owosso, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    86

    Post imported post

    Ok thanks. That's definitely something worth considering. You think it's due to the finger pressing the release and then catching the trigger once it clears the holster?

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    21

    Post imported post

    TylerJ87 wrote:
    Ok thanks. That's definitely something worth considering. You think it's due to the finger pressing the release and then catching the trigger once it clears the holster?
    Yes. Should not happen if you are doing everything "by the numbers", but skill levels vary and a things will get even more dicey under stress.

  17. #17
    Regular Member JeffSayers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    629

    Post imported post

    Could be, I don't know. Would have to be an awfully light and short trigger though combined with improper technique.Proper mechanics dictate that your finger stays off the trigger until a target is acquired anyway. (Keep the booger picker off the bang switch) When you operate the mechanism properly your index finger ends up fully stretched out alongside the rail when drawing.

    While it costs more than buying online, you may be able to find someone with it in stock that will let you expirement with it to seeif it's right for you.
    United we STAND!

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Owosso, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    86

    Post imported post

    The all important stress factor. I have read about this in some magazines, your body gets stiff and you get tunnel vision. I have heard there are classes where they teach you to account for that stuff. Do you know of any classes like that in mid-michigan?

  19. #19
    Regular Member JeffSayers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    629

    Post imported post

    I think the key is to remember that the "button" is a mechanism against which you apply pressure to release, not a button which you press to pop the gun out.
    United we STAND!

  20. #20
    Regular Member JeffSayers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    629

    Post imported post

    TylerJ87 wrote:
    The all important stress factor. I have read about this in some magazines, your body gets stiff and you get tunnel vision. I have heard there are classes where they teach you to account for that stuff. Do you know of any classes like that in mid-michigan?
    Check the threads, there is a recent one that looks very promising and seems it may be well worth the drive.
    United we STAND!

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Owosso, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    86

    Post imported post

    JeffSayers wrote:
    Could be, I don't know. Would have to be an awfully light and short trigger though combined with improper technique.Proper mechanics dictate that your finger stays off the trigger until a target is acquired anyway. (Keep the booger picker off the bang switch) When you operate the mechanism properly your index finger ends up fully stretched out alongside the rail when drawing.

    While it costs more than buying online, you may be able to find someone with it in stock that will let you expirement with it to seeif it's right for you.
    I stopped at a local shop that had some but they only had the sportster paddle model which I figured didn't make much sense for a retention holster. What if someone actually tried to pull it and they take the gun and holster right off my hip.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    21

    Post imported post

    TylerJ87 wrote:
    The all important stress factor. I have read about this in some magazines, your body gets stiff and you get tunnel vision. I have heard there are classes where they teach you to account for that stuff. Do you know of any classes like that in mid-michigan?
    I do not have personal experience w/ many different trainers. That is my disclaimer. That being said, I have been happy w/ the instruction I have received from Steve Fisher of MDFIover the last 3 years. He should be rolling out his 2010 schedule in the next couple weeks. His classes are a great value; most costing ~$125/8hr. If you contact him through the website, you can probably start a dialogue on holster selection. He does a fine job helping students select guns and gear that will work for their particular circumstances.

  23. #23
    Regular Member JeffSayers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    629

    Post imported post

    TylerJ87 wrote:
    I stopped at a local shop that had some but they only had the sportster paddle model which I figured didn't make much sense for a retention holster. What if someone actually tried to pull it and they take the gun and holster right off my hip.
    I would agree with that. However, it would still be usefull to get the feel for the action of the draw.

    Just remember that theperson doing you a favor at that shop needs to make a living too. Rather than running out and buying online (not implying anything) givethem a chanceto order it for you or pick up something else from them to make their buck.
    United we STAND!

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not on this website, USA
    Posts
    2,482

    Post imported post

    I have a Glock 23, and the only external safety on it is a plastic tab on the center of the trigger. I was weary of my G23 having a ND in this holster. To test it out I made sure there was NO ammo in my gun, cocked itand wiggled the gun around with various pressure. I have yet to see it oull the trigger doing this. Not saying that it couldn't happen, but it has not happened to mine.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157

    Post imported post

    bsf wrote:
    Steve Fisher of MDFI
    I've read many good things about Steve and MDFI.

    As a note of interest he does not allow Serpaholsters in his classes.

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •