• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blackhawk Serpa Level 2 or Level 3?

TylerJ87

imported post

I have seen many people comment on the qualities in this holster and was wondering if they were talking about the Level 2 or Level 3 retention system. I am looking at an OC holster for my Glock 19 and would be interested to hear any suggestions.

office888

imported post

Get the Level 2.

The Level 3 is overkill for civilian carry, and waaay overpriced in comparison.

Honestly, I have yet to find someone that has never seen a SERPA that it does take a few seconds for them to figure it out. Such as, you can't PULL UP + press button at the same time. Push down, and press release. :)

-Richard-

mikestilly

imported post

I love my Serpa. I may need to adjust it to be more comfortable in the car but that's my only gripe so far. To me I've seen the level 3 an it looks like a gimmick. They even have a level 4 from what I saw.

Michigander

imported post

For extremely crowded events such as the woodward Dream Cruise, or a busy suburban shopping mall, level 3 is perfect. For daily carry, level 2 is ideal.

Bronson

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
I may need to adjust it to be more comfortable in the car
I just ordered the quick disconnect kit from Optics Planet. With the standard USPS Priority Mail shipping option it came to $36.45. I'm planning on mounting one of them to the right side of my car's console. It'll be secure and easier to access than when it's on my side. When I get out of the carI can remove the entire holster and reattach it to my belt.

Bronson

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

office888 wrote:
Get the Level 2.

The Level 3 is overkill for civilian carry, and waaay overpriced in comparison.

Honestly, I have yet to find someone that has never seen a SERPA that it does take a few seconds for them to figure it out. Such as, you can't PULL UP + press button at the same time. Push down, and press release. :)

-Richard-
Should be no reason to push down - I have three level II Serpas and they all draw/retain the same.

Index finger drags across the release as I begin my presentation. Takes some practice to develop correct muscle memory.

Pushing down is the opposite direction you should be using your muscles and will slow your draw.

Yata hey

bsf

imported post

TylerJ87 wrote:
I have seen many people comment on the qualities in this holster and was wondering if they were talking about the Level 2 or Level 3 retention system. I am looking at an OC holster for my Glock 19 and would be interested to hear any suggestions.

Irecommend looking atother holsters. The Serpa has some serious drawbacks as part of your fighting gear. If you wear a handgun strictly for ornamentation, it should be fine, though. The two main issues are therelease button and support hand only re-holstering. There seems to be ahigh occurrence of ND upon draw w/ Serpas due to thepushbutton release. I consider this primarily an operator error, but the cold truth is that most firearms owners are not competent in the use of handguns as fighting implements. I have witnessed 1 ND w/ that holster during a class this summer.

If you are familiar w/ support hand only use, please keep in mind reverse re-holstering will cause thetrigger guard mechanism to lock the handgun in place. Breaking parts or disassembly is required to remove the handgun from the holster at that point.

All that being said; I have one and have used it. It came w/ a handgun I purchased. I have had no problems w/ it but I have practiced my draw stroke thousands of times. Still, when I use it I slow myself up on the draw. When I can afford it, it will be replaced. I cannot recommend a different holster because I have no other personal experience w/ other retention holsters.

My $0.02.

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Should be no reason to push down - I have three level II Serpas and they all draw/retain the same.

Index finger drags across the release as I begin my presentation. Takes some practice to develop correct muscle memory.

Pushing down is the opposite direction you should be using your muscles and will slow your draw.

Yata hey

Correct, the key is to hit the release before pulling upward. Otherwise you put pressure on the works and it won't release.

I have heard of a tale where someone had a small pebble get lodged in the mechanism rendering the firearm undrawable. In the story the person was practicing some tactical proceedure and rolling on the ground though.

The story seems quite plausible, but I still use mine with no concerns.

TylerJ87

imported post

Ok thanks. That's definitely something worth considering. You think it's due to the finger pressing the release and then catching the trigger once it clears the holster?

bsf

imported post

TylerJ87 wrote:
Ok thanks. That's definitely something worth considering. You think it's due to the finger pressing the release and then catching the trigger once it clears the holster?

Yes. Should not happen if you are doing everything "by the numbers", but skill levels vary and a things will get even more dicey under stress.

JeffSayers

imported post

Could be, I don't know. Would have to be an awfully light and short trigger though combined with improper technique.Proper mechanics dictate that your finger stays off the trigger until a target is acquired anyway. (Keep the booger picker off the bang switch) When you operate the mechanism properly your index finger ends up fully stretched out alongside the rail when drawing.

While it costs more than buying online, you may be able to find someone with it in stock that will let you expirement with it to seeif it's right for you.

TylerJ87

imported post

The all important stress factor. I have read about this in some magazines, your body gets stiff and you get tunnel vision. I have heard there are classes where they teach you to account for that stuff. Do you know of any classes like that in mid-michigan?

JeffSayers

imported post

TylerJ87 wrote:
The all important stress factor. I have read about this in some magazines, your body gets stiff and you get tunnel vision. I have heard there are classes where they teach you to account for that stuff. Do you know of any classes like that in mid-michigan?
Check the threads, there is a recent one that looks very promising and seems it may be well worth the drive.