• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blackhawk Serpa Level 2 or Level 3?

TylerJ87

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
Could be, I don't know. Would have to be an awfully light and short trigger though combined with improper technique.Proper mechanics dictate that your finger stays off the trigger until a target is acquired anyway. (Keep the booger picker off the bang switch) When you operate the mechanism properly your index finger ends up fully stretched out alongside the rail when drawing.

While it costs more than buying online, you may be able to find someone with it in stock that will let you expirement with it to seeif it's right for you.
I stopped at a local shop that had some but they only had the sportster paddle model which I figured didn't make much sense for a retention holster. What if someone actually tried to pull it and they take the gun and holster right off my hip.

bsf

imported post

TylerJ87 wrote:
The all important stress factor. I have read about this in some magazines, your body gets stiff and you get tunnel vision. I have heard there are classes where they teach you to account for that stuff. Do you know of any classes like that in mid-michigan?

I do not have personal experience w/ many different trainers. That is my disclaimer. That being said, I have been happy w/ the instruction I have received from Steve Fisher of MDFIover the last 3 years. He should be rolling out his 2010 schedule in the next couple weeks. His classes are a great value; most costing ~$125/8hr. If you contact him through the website, you can probably start a dialogue on holster selection. He does a fine job helping students select guns and gear that will work for their particular circumstances.

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

TylerJ87 wrote:
I stopped at a local shop that had some but they only had the sportster paddle model which I figured didn't make much sense for a retention holster. What if someone actually tried to pull it and they take the gun and holster right off my hip.

I would agree with that. However, it would still be usefull to get the feel for the action of the draw.

Just remember that theperson doing you a favor at that shop needs to make a living too. Rather than running out and buying online (not implying anything) givethem a chanceto order it for you or pick up something else from them to make their buck.

T Vance

imported post

I have a Glock 23, and the only external safety on it is a plastic tab on the center of the trigger. I was weary of my G23 having a ND in this holster. To test it out I made sure there was NO ammo in my gun, cocked itand wiggled the gun around with various pressure. I have yet to see it oull the trigger doing this. Not saying that it couldn't happen, but it has not happened to mine.

mikestilly

imported post

TylerJ87 wrote:
JeffSayers wrote:
Could be, I don't know. Would have to be an awfully light and short trigger though combined with improper technique.Proper mechanics dictate that your finger stays off the trigger until a target is acquired anyway. (Keep the booger picker off the bang switch) When you operate the mechanism properly your index finger ends up fully stretched out alongside the rail when drawing.

While it costs more than buying online, you may be able to find someone with it in stock that will let you expirement with it to seeif it's right for you.

I got the CQC which came with both the paddle and the belt loop bracket. I so far I've only used the paddle because it's the most confortable. As for the comment on the paddle it's almost impossible to pull the holster from the bracket. Matter of fact I have to take off my pants pretty much to get it off. I did some unloaded testing with the pistol in the holster and i'd say it's real safe and difficult for anyone to break it off of you. If you consider someone trying to break it off the mount it wouldnt be much differentregardless of the belt loopor a paddle brackets as both are screwed in to the base of the holster and I'd say pretty impossible to break off considering it's construction. I'm going to test out the belt loop bracket this weekend.

Mike

wally1120

imported post

I to have a Serpa holster for my 1911, I used to have a Springfield XD carried in the Serpa as well. I love the holsters enough to carry a 1,300 dollar gun in one. I may have only paid 30 bucks for the Holster, And 1911 Peoples whold say that that shouldn`t be done but, I am VERY happy with the Blackhawk Serpa Holsters.

TylerJ87

imported post

I am going to start a new thread about other options for retention holsters but thanks everyone for your input it will definitely help with my selection when it comes time to buy