• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun belt arrived with the snow, just in time.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

My new gun belt arrived today and it is snowing as I write. I ordered it from The Belt Man in Apex, NC Nothing fancy, 1 1/2 inches, bull hide, double layer with stiffener and square brass buckle.

http://www.thebeltman.net/

If you will read his web site you will see that he is very particular about his sizing, enough that I worried and did my best to get a belt that fits my normal trousers AND over my winter coats. Everything seems to work at first blush.

My previous belt was single layer cow hide and I had added holes to within 1/2 inch of the end as I got -- older. The belt is about twenty years old and finally retired.

When folks ask, "How do you OC in Wisconsin in the winter?"...

My Blackhawk SERPA went through the dishwasher just fine.

comp45acp

imported post

I also have a Belt Man belt that I have had for about 3 years now. Excellent quality and stiff enough to hold the holster rigidly.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

same way I OC any other time of the year. Only the jacket rides on top of the holster. Wearing a belt over your jacket, would at best look a little goofy.
don't forget the flashlight...:)

Notice he is wearing his 45 in a shoulder holster.

gollbladder13

imported post

I've thought about getting a drop-leg holster for winter. Some people might like it, but it's a little too tacticool for me. My old duty holster from working private security rides low, and I deal with the cold in a jacket that doesn't go a whole lot lower than my belt.

hardballer

imported post

I OC with the jacket riding on top of the holster too. It is a little awkward and I am looking for a waist length jacket. I have a Safariland drop leg holster and have toyed with that idea. I will give it a try some time in the future. I also have a duty belt which fits nicely over my jacket but is black and really stands out. I will eventually settle on some kind of carry apparatus that is both functional and convenient.

Mr.arker

imported post

Dropleg holsters are all right and would certainly qualify for open carry. But if you're ever in a situation where you have to run- either to or from something or someone, they're a pain in the ass.
If you use one, make sure you keep it tight to your leg.

protias

imported post

I have hip, shoulder, and leg holsters, and I much prefer the hip one over the others. My XD just stays there and doesn't move around. I don't want my firearm to be moving around while I move, I want it to stay put.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I took out the nicerwinter parka today to try out my normal belt holster with it, it felt a little odd at first tucking the parka between me and the butt of my gun, but I got used to it quick enough.
Waist lenght coats justdo not cut it up here in the wintertime, and I am not going to wear a belt over my jacket, My view lately is "If becomes hidden by the jacket, so be it!" schitt happens, whats it gonna cost me $100.00? and why would I be stopped and searched for weapons in the first place?

hardballer

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
I took out the nicerwinter parka today to try out my normal belt holster with it, it felt a little odd at first tucking the parka between me and the butt of my gun, but I got used to it quick enough.
Waist lenght coats justdo not cut it up here in the wintertime, and I am not going to wear a belt over my jacket, My view lately is "If becomes hidden by the jacket, so be it!" schitt happens, whats it gonna cost me $100.00? and why would I be stopped and searched for weapons in the first place?
YUP. . .

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

As I recall the statute, it is not very definite when describing exactly what "concealed" means. If a jacket flap falls over a gun is it "concealed"? I believe it could be argued in court that concealing a weapon would infer the "intent" to conceal it from others, not the incidental effect of clothing choices, but I could be wrong.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

'Concealed' is the name of the offense. The elements for its violation are plain in the annotations.

To “go armed” does not require going anywhere. The elements for a violation of s. 941.23 are: 1) a dangerous weapon is on the defendant’s person or within reach; 2) the defendant is aware of the weapon’s presence; and 3) the weapon is hidden. State v. Keith, 175 Wis. 2d 75, 498 N.W.2d 865 (Ct. App. 1993).
actus non facit reum nisi mens sit rea, "The act does not make a person guilty unless the mind be also guilty" Mens rea is always in the sole purview of the trier of fact, be it judge or jury.