Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: If I am in my wheelchair or on my crutches can I still...

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Barberton, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    I am in a wheelchair due to ulcers on both of my feet but I can use crutches also occasionally. My question is If I am in my wheelchair and I have the gun on the front of me in plain view. Would this be a better way to carry in the front because on the side doesnt make it very visible. I also wanted to know if I am on my crutches and it is on my side, what if they say they couldnt see it because of my crutches. Could I get in trouble forthat? Just wondering. I havent started Open Carrying yet but I would like to because of my disablility. I feel this makes me more of a target because of me being handicapped. I was just wondering your opinions and would appreciate any information I can get on this. I hope this is not a dumb question. I just want to make sure so that I know what I should do. I am new to open carry and am trying to get all the facts straight before I walk down the street with a loaded firearm. Thank you and God bless.

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,623

    Post imported post

    Follow the laws of your state and you are good to go. Being partially disabled does not negate your need for self-defense capability.

    We have several people in Va. that either wear cross draw and/or have a rig on the inside of their chair.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Barberton, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    Thank you very much. You guys on this website make me feel alot more comfortable and safer than the cops. God bless everyone and Thank you for sticking up for our rights. People like everyone on here are the reason that We can still bear our arms without the fear of the cops.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hodgenville, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,261

    Post imported post

    Whut Grapeshoot sed......

    Cross draw would be the best for you in this situation. Good luck.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    694

    Post imported post

    I am disabled. I use an electric scooter to get around. I can walk a few yards using a cane. I carry my XD40 cross draw OC in a Serpa or CC in a Cross Breed Qwik Clip. Cross draw is comfortable when seated and when positioned properly easy to draw from if necessary.
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Barberton, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    Thank you for the replies. They have been really helpful. Cross draw sounds good to me. I think that is a good answer and I will go with that. God bless.

  7. #7
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664

    Post imported post

    Why would you suggest cross-draw to this man??

    He's got crutches!

    That means one is a secret shotgun and the other one is a sword when you pull on the handle.:celebrate

    But I guess it's just my dream to have a cane-sword when I get older.

    Cross-draw is good, or you might be more comfortable with a chest rig. That
    way when you lean over to wash your hands or pick something up you aren't pinching the gun in your ribs. If your in a chair all the time, mount a tube on it and stick a pistol-gripped 14" barrel 12ga in there. Remember the pistol is a compromise weapon for mobility. If you aren't mobile without a platform(wheelchair/hoverround/etc) then there really isn't a reason to compromise with a pistol anymore. (unless you cannot operate a pump for some reason.)

    Then again why not just mount one of these on your armrest?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abTGAP7tG0Y&NR=1

    Nobody would ever take your parking spot again.
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Barberton, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    Simmonsjoe That is funny but I dont think a machine gun is necessary and I dont think a 14in barrel on a 12 guage is legal in Ohio either. Thanks for the laughs.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    694

    Post imported post

    According to this you can have any legal NFA weapon in Ohio.
    http://www.mp5.net/info/sbsconr.htm
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Barberton, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    jeeper1 wrote:
    According to this you can have any legal NFA weapon in Ohio.
    http://www.mp5.net/info/sbsconr.htm
    I did not think that it was legal. Some guns you have to get certain licenses for I thought. There is class 1 2 3 I think but could be wrong



  11. #11
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664

    Post imported post

    short barrels are cheap licenses. It's not like a silencer of full-auto license ($200+ and a FBI background check, fingerprints on file, allow ATF to search your house at anytime for any reason)
    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Barberton, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    simmonsjoe wrote:
    short barrels are cheap licenses. It's not like a silencer of full-auto license ($200+ and a FBI background check, fingerprints on file, allow ATF to search your house at anytime for any reason)
    That is crazy yet very educational. I did not know that but thats interesting.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    694

    Post imported post

    AOWs (any other weapons) are $5 all others (machine guns, silencers, short barrel rifles, short barrel shotguns and destructive devices) are $200.
    If you want a really short 12 gauge then look into a Serbu it is an AOW ($5) not a SBS ($200).
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Barberton, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    jeeper1 wrote:
    AOWs (any other weapons) are $5 all others (machine guns, silencers, short barrel rifles, short barrel shotguns and destructive devices) are $200.
    If you want a really short 12 gauge then look into a Serbu it is an AOW ($5) not a SBS ($200).
    How doyou guys find all this stuff out. That is something I never knew. I thought I knew about guns and stuff but on here its like you guys know literally everything about them. I guess I came to the right site to talk about guns now I will find out anything I didnt know about them. Thanks for teaching me the things I didnt know and God bless this website and everybody on it.

  15. #15
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    jtallen1190 wrote:
    jeeper1 wrote:
    AOWs (any other weapons) are $5 all others (machine guns, silencers, short barrel rifles, short barrel shotguns and destructive devices) are $200.
    If you want a really short 12 gauge then look into a Serbu it is an AOW ($5) not a SBS ($200).
    How doÂ*you guys find all this stuff out. That is something I never knew. I thought I knew about guns and stuff but on here its like you guys know literally everything about them. I guess I came to the right site to talk about guns now I will find out anything I didnt know about them. Thanks for teaching me the things I didnt know and God bless this website and everybody on it.
    Research and reading.

    All the laws are on line these days. Learn how to use Google and other search engines to find what you need to know. Just go to the websites for the various government agencies, the info is there.

    Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  16. #16
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,623

    Post imported post

    jtallen1190 wrote:
    jeeper1 wrote:
    AOWs (any other weapons) are $5 all others (machine guns, silencers, short barrel rifles, short barrel shotguns and destructive devices) are $200.
    If you want a really short 12 gauge then look into a Serbu it is an AOW ($5) not a SBS ($200).
    How doyou guys find all this stuff out. That is something I never knew. I thought I knew about guns and stuff but on here its like you guys know literally everything about them. I guess I came to the right site to talk about guns now I will find out anything I didnt know about them. Thanks for teaching me the things I didnt know and God bless this website and everybody on it.
    It is the power of numbers and the confusion of multiple personalities.

    The really good answers will provide cites/links to the original source.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Barberton, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    How doyou guys find all this stuff out. That is something I never knew. I thought I knew about guns and stuff but on here its like you guys know literally everything about them. I guess I came to the right site to talk about guns now I will find out anything I didnt know about them. Thanks for teaching me the things I didnt know and God bless this website and everybody on it.
    It is the power of numbers and the confusion of multiple personalities.

    The really good answers will provide cites/links to the original source.

    Yata hey
    Grapeshot you are great. The confusion of multiple personalities is something I can understand for sure. Thanks for the laughs, That is one of the funniest things I have ever read. Thanks and God bless

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Barberton, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    If your in a chair all the time, mount a tube on it and stick a pistol-gripped 14" barrel 12ga in there. Remember the pistol is a compromise weapon for mobility. If you aren't mobile without a platform(wheelchair/hoverround/etc) then there really isn't a reason to compromise with a pistol anymore. (unless you cannot operate a pump for some reason.)

    Then again why not just mount one of these on your armrest?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abTGAP7tG0Y&NR=1

    Nobody would ever take your parking spot again.
    I was wondering if I could mount my holster on the arm of my wheel chair that way it is visible. Is that legal to do? I dont know because technically it would not be on my person It would be on my wheel chair.

  19. #19
    Regular Member simmonsjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mattaponi, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    1,664

    Post imported post

    jtallen1190 wrote:
    If your in a chair all the time, mount a tube on it and stick a pistol-gripped 14" barrel 12ga in there. Remember the pistol is a compromise weapon for mobility. If you aren't mobile without a platform(wheelchair/hoverround/etc) then there really isn't a reason to compromise with a pistol anymore. (unless you cannot operate a pump for some reason.)

    Then again why not just mount one of these on your armrest?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abTGAP7tG0Y&NR=1

    Nobody would ever take your parking spot again.
    I was wondering if I could mount my holster on the arm of my wheel chair that way it is visible. Is that legal to do? I dont know because technically it would not be on my person It would be on my wheel chair.
    Yes you can. If your confined to a wheelchair it is considered to be part of your person. but it doesn't matter. If you can carry it legally on your person you can carry it legally within reach of your person, or out of reach, doesn't matter.

    you could go super old school

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4i9_kkg30o

    illegal ≠ immoral legal ≠ moral
    [SIZE=1]"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. "Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent." - Thomas Jefferson
    G19 Gen 4; Bersa Thunder 380; Sig Sauer P238; Kel-Tec su-16c

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Barberton, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    I was wondering if I could mount my holster on the arm of my wheel chair that way it is visible. Is that legal to do? I dont know because technically it would not be on my person It would be on my wheel chair.
    Yes you can. If your confined to a wheelchair it is considered to be part of your person. but it doesn't matter. If you can carry it legally on your person you can carry it legally within reach of your person, or out of reach, doesn't matter.

    you could go super old school

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4i9_kkg30o
    Nice video and thanks for the info. I am glad to be a member of this site where so many people like guns and defend their right to bear arms. What a great country.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358

    Post imported post

    jtallen1190 wrote:
    I was wondering if I could mount my holster on the arm of my wheel chair that way it is visible. Is that legal to do? I dont know because technically it would not be on my person It would be on my wheel chair.
    Galco (and several other manufacturers) make purses and shoulderbags SPECIFICALLY for women to Concealed Carry their firearms, and technically such a carry format would not be "on their person" but is PERFECTLY legal. I have a friend in AL who carries that way.

    Also, there are methos of "vehicle carry" where folks have attached holsters to the consoles, under the dashboards, or inside the door panels of their cars for the same purpose.

    What I'm getting at, is that carry (whether open or concealed) is NOT predicated on having the firearm attached directly to your body, as long as it's in a holster. I think attaching a holster to your chair is an excellent idea if you don't want to carry it crossdraw.

    A little leather, some strong rivets (or Chicago screws) and a crafty helper should result in a really utilitarian rig for you!

    Good luck, and welcome to the club!

    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  22. #22
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    Dreamer wrote:
    jtallen1190 wrote:
    I was wondering if I could mount my holster on the arm of my wheel chair that way it is visible. Is that legal to do? I dont know because technically it would not be on my person It would be on my wheel chair.
    Galco (and several other manufacturers) make purses and shoulderbags SPECIFICALLY for women to Concealed Carry their firearms, and technically such a carry format would not be "on their person" but is PERFECTLY legal. I have a friend in AL who carries that way.

    Also, there are methos of "vehicle carry" where folks have attached holsters to the consoles, under the dashboards, or inside the door panels of their cars for the same purpose.

    What I'm getting at, is that carry (whether open or concealed) is NOT predicated on having the firearm attached directly to your body, as long as it's in a holster. I think attaching a holster to your chair is an excellent idea if you don't want to carry it crossdraw.

    A little leather, some strong rivets (or Chicago screws) and a crafty helper should result in a really utilitarian rig for you!

    Good luck, and welcome to the club!
    If you still retain dexterity in your hands and fingers, you may want to consider a holster with a retention system. A sherpa could be modified to mount on your chair and the retention system would help keep someone from snatching your firearm from the holster. Of course if they know how the system operates it might not stop them but it might deter kids and the uninitiated.

    Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  23. #23
    Regular Member okboomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    1,164

    Post imported post

    This isn't the one I was looking for, but since you specify that you switch between wheel chair and crutches, this would make a nice concealed carry solution.

    http://www.activeprogear.com/jogger_holster.html

    This is the kydex holster:

    http://www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm


    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

    Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

  24. #24
    Regular Member okboomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    1,164

    Post imported post

    Dreamer wrote:
    Galco (and several other manufacturers) make purses and shoulderbags SPECIFICALLY for women to Concealed Carry their firearms, and technically such a carry format would not be "on their person" but is PERFECTLY legal. I have a friend in AL who carries that way.
    I disagree, actually, a woman's purse is considered part of her person and therefor requires a search warrant to search as with anysearch other than a simple pat down. Just because you see some brain damaged drug addict/alcoholic on Cops get her purse tossed does NOT mean that it is legal to do. Whenever I see this, it angers me that other women might think that it is OK for LEO to search a purse w/out a warrant. Of course, the laws might be different in other states, so you should check the laws in your state to clarify the issue.

    This is in contrast with a fanny pack on a man or a back pack, that is considered seperate from theperson and can be removed and searched, whereas a man's wallet (or other pocket trash) is considered a part of the person.

    There is a fine line between what constitutes a purse also. I cannot carry a fanny pack and a purse and claim both to be protected from search, only one.

    YMMV as always. But I would never consent to anyone searching my purse.


    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

    Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    30

    Post imported post

    jeeper1 wrote:
    AOWs (any other weapons) are $5 all others (machine guns, silencers, short barrel rifles, short barrel shotguns and destructive devices) are $200.
    If you want a really short 12 gauge then look into a Serbu it is an AOW ($5) not a SBS ($200).
    A Taurus "The Judge" loaded with .410 shotshells would be a pretty good sidearm, no special permits needed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •