• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If I am in my wheelchair or on my crutches can I still...

jtallen1190

imported post

I am in a wheelchair due to ulcers on both of my feet but I can use crutches also occasionally. My question is If I am in my wheelchair and I have the gun on the front of me in plain view. Would this be a better way to carry in the front because on the side doesnt make it very visible. I also wanted to know if I am on my crutches and it is on my side, what if they say they couldnt see it because of my crutches. Could I get in trouble forthat? Just wondering. I havent started Open Carrying yet but I would like to because of my disablility. I feel this makes me more of a target because of me being handicapped. I was just wondering your opinions and would appreciate any information I can get on this. I hope this is not a dumb question. I just want to make sure so that I know what I should do. I am new to open carry and am trying to get all the facts straight before I walk down the street with a loaded firearm. Thank you and God bless.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Follow the laws of your state and you are good to go. Being partially disabled does not negate your need for self-defense capability.

We have several people in Va. that either wear cross draw and/or have a rig on the inside of their chair.

Yata hey

jtallen1190

imported post

Thank you very much. You guys on this website make me feel alot more comfortable and safer than the cops. God bless everyone and Thank you for sticking up for our rights. People like everyone on here are the reason that We can still bear our arms without the fear of the cops.

jeeper1

imported post

I am disabled. I use an electric scooter to get around. I can walk a few yards using a cane. I carry my XD40 cross draw OC in a Serpa or CC in a Cross Breed Qwik Clip. Cross draw is comfortable when seated and when positioned properly easy to draw from if necessary.

jtallen1190

imported post

Thank you for the replies. They have been really helpful. Cross draw sounds good to me. I think that is a good answer and I will go with that. God bless.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Why would you suggest cross-draw to this man??

He's got crutches!

That means one is a secret shotgun and the other one is a sword when you pull on the handle.:celebrate

But I guess it's just my dream to have a cane-sword when I get older.

Cross-draw is good, or you might be more comfortable with a chest rig. That
way when you lean over to wash your hands or pick something up you aren't pinching the gun in your ribs. If your in a chair all the time, mount a tube on it and stick a pistol-gripped 14" barrel 12ga in there. Remember the pistol is a compromise weapon for mobility. If you aren't mobile without a platform(wheelchair/hoverround/etc) then there really isn't a reason to compromise with a pistol anymore. (unless you cannot operate a pump for some reason.)

Then again why not just mount one of these on your armrest?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abTGAP7tG0Y&NR=1

Nobody would ever take your parking spot again.:lol:

jtallen1190

imported post

Simmonsjoe That is funny but I dont think a machine gun is necessary and I dont think a 14in barrel on a 12 guage is legal in Ohio either. Thanks for the laughs.

simmonsjoe

imported post

short barrels are cheap licenses. It's not like a silencer of full-auto license ($200+ and a FBI background check, fingerprints on file, allow ATF to search your house at anytime for any reason)

jtallen1190

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
short barrels are cheap licenses. It's not like a silencer of full-auto license ($200+ and a FBI background check, fingerprints on file, allow ATF to search your house at anytime for any reason)
That is crazy yet very educational. I did not know that but thats interesting.

jeeper1

imported post

AOWs (any other weapons) are $5 all others (machine guns, silencers, short barrel rifles, short barrel shotguns and destructive devices) are $200.
If you want a really short 12 gauge then look into a Serbu it is an AOW ($5) not a SBS ($200).

jtallen1190

imported post

jeeper1 wrote:
AOWs (any other weapons) are $5 all others (machine guns, silencers, short barrel rifles, short barrel shotguns and destructive devices) are $200.
If you want a really short 12 gauge then look into a Serbu it is an AOW ($5) not a SBS ($200).
How doyou guys find all this stuff out. That is something I never knew. I thought I knew about guns and stuff but on here its like you guys know literally everything about them. I guess I came to the right site to talk about guns now I will find out anything I didnt know about them. Thanks for teaching me the things I didnt know and God bless this website and everybody on it.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

jtallen1190 wrote:
jeeper1 wrote:
How do you guys find all this stuff out. That is something I never knew. I thought I knew about guns and stuff but on here its like you guys know literally everything about them. I guess I came to the right site to talk about guns now I will find out anything I didnt know about them. Thanks for teaching me the things I didnt know and God bless this website and everybody on it.

Research and reading.

All the laws are on line these days. Learn how to use Google and other search engines to find what you need to know. Just go to the websites for the various government agencies, the info is there.

Regards

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

jtallen1190 wrote:
jeeper1 wrote:
How doyou guys find all this stuff out. That is something I never knew. I thought I knew about guns and stuff but on here its like you guys know literally everything about them. I guess I came to the right site to talk about guns now I will find out anything I didnt know about them. Thanks for teaching me the things I didnt know and God bless this website and everybody on it.
It is the power of numbers and the confusion of multiple personalities. :)

The really good answers will provide cites/links to the original source.;)

Yata hey

jtallen1190

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
It is the power of numbers and the confusion of multiple personalities. :)

The really good answers will provide cites/links to the original source.;)

Yata hey
Grapeshot you are great. The confusion of multiple personalities is something I can understand for sure. Thanks for the laughs, That is one of the funniest things I have ever read. Thanks and God bless

jtallen1190

imported post

If your in a chair all the time, mount a tube on it and stick a pistol-gripped 14" barrel 12ga in there. Remember the pistol is a compromise weapon for mobility. If you aren't mobile without a platform(wheelchair/hoverround/etc) then there really isn't a reason to compromise with a pistol anymore. (unless you cannot operate a pump for some reason.)

I was wondering if I could mount my holster on the arm of my wheel chair that way it is visible. Is that legal to do? I dont know because technically it would not be on my person It would be on my wheel chair.

simmonsjoe

imported post

jtallen1190 wrote:
If your in a chair all the time, mount a tube on it and stick a pistol-gripped 14" barrel 12ga in there. Remember the pistol is a compromise weapon for mobility. If you aren't mobile without a platform(wheelchair/hoverround/etc) then there really isn't a reason to compromise with a pistol anymore. (unless you cannot operate a pump for some reason.)

I was wondering if I could mount my holster on the arm of my wheel chair that way it is visible. Is that legal to do? I dont know because technically it would not be on my person It would be on my wheel chair.
Yes you can. If your confined to a wheelchair it is considered to be part of your person. but it doesn't matter. If you can carry it legally on your person you can carry it legally within reach of your person, or out of reach, doesn't matter.

you could go super old school

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4i9_kkg30o

jtallen1190

imported post

Yes you can. If your confined to a wheelchair it is considered to be part of your person. but it doesn't matter. If you can carry it legally on your person you can carry it legally within reach of your person, or out of reach, doesn't matter.

you could go super old school

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4i9_kkg30o
Nice video and thanks for the info. I am glad to be a member of this site where so many people like guns and defend their right to bear arms. What a great country.