• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If I am in my wheelchair or on my crutches can I still...

Dreamer

imported post

jtallen1190 wrote:
I was wondering if I could mount my holster on the arm of my wheel chair that way it is visible. Is that legal to do? I dont know because technically it would not be on my person It would be on my wheel chair.
Galco (and several other manufacturers) make purses and shoulderbags SPECIFICALLY for women to Concealed Carry their firearms, and technically such a carry format would not be "on their person" but is PERFECTLY legal. I have a friend in AL who carries that way.

Also, there are methos of "vehicle carry" where folks have attached holsters to the consoles, under the dashboards, or inside the door panels of their cars for the same purpose.

What I'm getting at, is that carry (whether open or concealed) is NOT predicated on having the firearm attached directly to your body, as long as it's in a holster. I think attaching a holster to your chair is an excellent idea if you don't want to carry it crossdraw.

A little leather, some strong rivets (or Chicago screws) and a crafty helper should result in a really utilitarian rig for you!

Good luck, and welcome to the club!

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
jtallen1190 wrote:
I was wondering if I could mount my holster on the arm of my wheel chair that way it is visible. Is that legal to do? I dont know because technically it would not be on my person It would be on my wheel chair.
Galco (and several other manufacturers) make purses and shoulderbags SPECIFICALLY for women to Concealed Carry their firearms, and technically such a carry format would not be "on their person" but is PERFECTLY legal. I have a friend in AL who carries that way.

Also, there are methos of "vehicle carry" where folks have attached holsters to the consoles, under the dashboards, or inside the door panels of their cars for the same purpose.

What I'm getting at, is that carry (whether open or concealed) is NOT predicated on having the firearm attached directly to your body, as long as it's in a holster. I think attaching a holster to your chair is an excellent idea if you don't want to carry it crossdraw.

A little leather, some strong rivets (or Chicago screws) and a crafty helper should result in a really utilitarian rig for you!

Good luck, and welcome to the club!

If you still retain dexterity in your hands and fingers, you may want to consider a holster with a retention system. A sherpa could be modified to mount on your chair and the retention system would help keep someone from snatching your firearm from the holster. Of course if they know how the system operates it might not stop them but it might deter kids and the uninitiated.

Regards

okboomer

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
I disagree, actually, a woman's purse is considered part of her person and therefor requires a search warrant to search as with anysearch other than a simple pat down. Just because you see some brain damaged drug addict/alcoholic on Cops get her purse tossed does NOT mean that it is legal to do. Whenever I see this, it angers me that other women might think that it is OK for LEO to search a purse w/out a warrant. Of course, the laws might be different in other states, so you should check the laws in your state to clarify the issue.

This is in contrast with a fanny pack on a man or a back pack, that is considered seperate from theperson and can be removed and searched, whereas a man's wallet (or other pocket trash) is considered a part of the person.

There is a fine line between what constitutes a purse also. I cannot carry a fanny pack and a purse and claim both to be protected from search, only one.

YMMV as always. But I would never consent to anyone searching my purse.

Steve B

imported post

jeeper1 wrote:
AOWs (any other weapons) are $5 all others (machine guns, silencers, short barrel rifles, short barrel shotguns and destructive devices) are $200.
If you want a really short 12 gauge then look into a Serbu it is an AOW ($5) not a SBS ($200).
A Taurus "The Judge" loaded with .410 shotshells would be a pretty good sidearm, no special permits needed.