Thread: CPL application references?

Post imported post

I was looking through the CPL application and was on a roll until I hit the

"Provide names, addresses, and telephone number of two references."

I honestly don't know who to list. I am 22 and my parents will probably think I am crazy for applying for a CPL and so will my friends.:?

Post imported post

you might be suprised by how many pro gun friend you have!!

Post imported post

I believe that references usually need to be someone other than a relative. I agree, do not let this stop you!
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Post imported post

The only people I can think of would be my Dad and Uncle but if family is out then I really don't have a clue. I move around so much I really don't have many contacts other than family and friends at school.

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

With 649 members in Michigan youshould be able tocome up with 2 references!
    United we STAND!

Post imported post

Well I don't know any members yet. But Warchild is from my hometown and hopefully I will be attending some MOC events soon.

Post imported post

My references were never contacted. Honestly, I'm not sure why they're needed, given that the law is "shall issue".

Post imported post

I just received my cpl and my references were not contacted either.

Post imported post

I agree that providing references can be problematic, especially when you don't want people to know about your permit.

When my Mom got her permit, she made the mistake of asking a good friend for 'permission' to use as a reference, who turned out to be a closet Anti, much to my Mom's dismay. It is silly to require references but that is the law. I'd just use a few people who you knoware isolated from (ie. don't know) your close circle of family and friends and don't bother telling them that you are using them as references. Like the other posters mentioned, they probably won't even be called but if they are and they turn out to be Anti's and raise a stink, then the harm is minimized if you use people who aren't that close to you.

Post imported post

The more I think about it I am probably going to use some friends of the family. We only see them a few times a year but the husband is an avid hunter (bow and rifle) and I have known them since grade school because their son is my age.

Post imported post

I looked for and could not find where it said we couldn't use family. So I listed a family member as a reference. I hope sure hope I don't get in a bind over this.....
    Only two have offered their lives for you. A Soldier and Jesus....

Post imported post

I do know it has to be a reference of a Michigan person. Something which it didnt tell you on the application either. I got quite pissed when they wouldnt let me cross it out and put a new person in and made me fill out a new app. The clerks seemed to have an attitude for processing peoples CPL app's.

Mike

Post imported post

SlowDog wrote:
    I looked for and could not find where it said we couldn't use family. So I listed a family member as a reference. I hope sure hope I don't get in a bind over this.....
    I doubt you will, it was JMO. Like others have stated, mine were never contacted.
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Post imported post

Mine never were either.

Post imported post

I listed my dad and an uncle on mine, and to my knowledge, neither one was contacted.
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Post imported post

Thanks everyone for your input, I will definitely be turning in my application as soon as I get back to Michigan and attend a class

Post imported post

Mine were never checked. I hope they really don't check these out. After all, they should realize that NOBODY is going to provide a reference unless they know absolutely that the reference is gonna give them a glowing recomendation.

Post imported post

I used a supervisor and also a life-long friend of mine-they were never called.

About 22 or so years ago while being interviewed for a job, I asked if they would like to see some references, they said no...they (references) will just say good things about you. I thought this was not only very true but funny as well.

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

I'm not sure that a "glowing reference" is what the state is after but rather two people that are more likely to be able to know your whereabouts if the authorities need to find you for some reason.springerdave.

Post imported post

of all the references i have turned in for my apps none have been contacted.

Post imported post

Only time I had contacts ever called was when applying for my CCW permit in colorado, prior to it going shall issue. I don't know what the sheriff liked about me, but in a county of 500,000+ I was the 238th person to receive a permit. I had security guards tell me (who were authorized to carry on the job) that they had been denied.

My dad put his friend down as a reference, who was sitting next to him during the gun board. The gun board got a kick out of that.
    Rand Paul 2016

Post imported post

Just called the county clerk and she said the referencescould be anybody so I guess it won't be much of a problem now. Thank you all for your input. I have the forms filled out now I just need to find a CPL class.

Post imported post

TylerJ87 wrote:
    Just called the county clerk and she said the referencescould be anybody so I guess it won't be much of a problem now. Thank you all for your input. I have the forms filled out now I just need to find a CPL class.
    How about this?

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/34268.html

Post imported post

PDinDetroit wrote: I have been following that thread but I am so anxious I don't want to wait another month or month and a half. I think that is what I will have to settle for given that I am out of state until Christmas and I doubt anyone will be giving classes during the holidays

Anyway ... hope to see you at the MOC CPL class in January !