• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL application references?

TylerJ87

imported post

I was looking through the CPL application and was on a roll until I hit the

"Provide names, addresses, and telephone number of two references."

I honestly don't know who to list. I am 22 and my parents will probably think I am crazy for applying for a CPL and so will my friends.:?

TylerJ87

imported post

The only people I can think of would be my Dad and Uncle but if family is out then I really don't have a clue. I move around so much I really don't have many contacts other than family and friends at school.

OC4me

imported post

I agree that providing references can be problematic, especially when you don't want people to know about your permit.

When my Mom got her permit, she made the mistake of asking a good friend for 'permission' to use as a reference, who turned out to be a closet Anti, much to my Mom's dismay. It is silly to require references but that is the law. I'd just use a few people who you knoware isolated from (ie. don't know) your close circle of family and friends and don't bother telling them that you are using them as references. Like the other posters mentioned, they probably won't even be called but if they are and they turn out to be Anti's and raise a stink, then the harm is minimized if you use people who aren't that close to you.

TylerJ87

imported post

The more I think about it I am probably going to use some friends of the family. We only see them a few times a year but the husband is an avid hunter (bow and rifle) and I have known them since grade school because their son is my age.

SlowDog

imported post

I looked for and could not find where it said we couldn't use family. So I listed a family member as a reference. I hope sure hope I don't get in a bind over this.....

mikestilly

imported post

I do know it has to be a reference of a Michigan person. Something which it didnt tell you on the application either. I got quite pissed when they wouldnt let me cross it out and put a new person in and made me fill out a new app. The clerks seemed to have an attitude for processing peoples CPL app's.

Mike

PDinDetroit

imported post

SlowDog wrote:
I looked for and could not find where it said we couldn't use family. So I listed a family member as a reference. I hope sure hope I don't get in a bind over this.....
I doubt you will, it was JMO. Like others have stated, mine were never contacted.

TylerJ87

imported post

Thanks everyone for your input, I will definitely be turning in my application as soon as I get back to Michigan and attend a class

NCjones

imported post

Mine were never checked. I hope they really don't check these out. After all, they should realize that NOBODY is going to provide a reference unless they know absolutely that the reference is gonna give them a glowing recomendation.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

I used a supervisor and also a life-long friend of mine-they were never called.

About 22 or so years ago while being interviewed for a job, I asked if they would like to see some references, they said no...they (references) will just say good things about you. I thought this was not only very true but funny as well.