• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

requirements for a CPL

PDinDetroit

imported post

Bronson wrote:
I neverrealized that you could be denied a CPL if you were not registered to vote.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(gqdsrc452et5wn554nhwxe45))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-28-422&query=on&highlight=concealed%20AND%20pistol

(3) The commissioner or chief of police of a city, township, or village police department that issues licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols, or his or her duly authorized deputy, or the sheriff or his or her duly authorized deputy, in the parts of a county not included within a city, township, or village having an organized police department, in discharging the duty to issue licenses shall with due speed and diligence issue licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols to qualified applicants residing within the city, village, township, or county, as applicable unless he or she has probable cause to believe that the applicant would be a threat to himself or herself or to other individuals, or would commit an offense with the pistol that would violate a law of this or another state or of the United States. An applicant is qualified if all of the following circumstances exist:

(ii) The person is lawfully registered to vote in this state.

Bronson
Bronson-

The way I read it, they can deny you a Pistol Purchase Permit not a Concealed Pistol License (based upon the link provided). Based upon the following link I attached, they can deny you a Concealed Pistol License if you are not lawfully registered to vote.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-425b

I probably saw this on the Application Kit, but glossed over it since I am registered to vote.

Bronson

imported post

We're both wrong.Similar wording is in the CPL requirements but in both cases it applies to using voter registration for establishing residency.I completely brain farted andwhiffed over that part when reading it.

There is no useful information in this thread. Mods please delete it :p

Bronson