• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I asked Barberton and Akron police departments...

jtallen1190

imported post

I asked Akron and Barberton Ohio police departments if there was anything I had to do to Open Carry my gun. They said that I would have to take a 60 dollar gun safety course but I didnt see that in the laws anywhere. I was wondering wouldnt that go against the preemption law in Ohio. It just sounds to me like they are trying to get money out of me. Is this true because I am unsure and dont want to carry if I have to do that. I would rather just go get my CCW if I really had to do that just to open carry. I am a law abiding citzen and very safe with a gun. I dont understand completely what they are trying to do here. Any information would help on this matter. Thank you for reading and God bless.

jtallen1190

imported post

I am a new member to this site. I have been reading on this website but still havent found the answer. I am still reading on here. I did know LEO lies about almost everything. I even had a lawyer tell me thatI had to take the classes. I am just trying to get a straight forward answer so I dont get in trouble. I would rather do it legally than to Do it and end up in jail for a gun charge. Thanks for responding to my post but it still does not clear that up for me. I will keep reading and try to figure it out. I think the answer is No I do not have to go pay $60 for a safety course but I can never be too sure with the way our government is. Thank you and God bless:banghead:

M

McX

imported post

The Police lie? They don't lie...............they............exaggerate (shameless spin of a famous movie line, who can tell what movie, and who said something roughly like that), anyway. Take the stupid class, give Cesaer what he wants, and some money too. I issue you one dancing monkey for your efforts to be a law abiding Open Carry citizen! :monkey

jtallen1190

imported post

Cops do lie and whyshouldI have to pay for my civil right. That dont even make sense to me. what are you a cop or something? I am just saying if we gave into all the cops demands we would not have the right to open carry in the first place. They already think they are supreme and only they should be allowed to carry anyway. That is why they stop people just for having a gun on them.

jtallen1190

imported post

I was wondering if anyone from Ohio knows the answer to this Question. Did anyone else ever have to pay any money to be able to open carry. I wanna be a law abiding citzen and all, I just dont think I should have to pay to be able to Open Carry a gun for defense purposes. I dont think our Four Fathers would have wanted us to pay money for a civil right we are suppose to have anyway.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

There is no open carry "permit."

Ohio has state preemption, but some municipalities have laws on the books in violation. Working to clean that up - takes time.

Follow your state forum for more info.

Yata hey

jtallen1190

imported post

They said I could take it in the courthouse in Akron when I called Akron and when I called Barberton they said I could take it through themwhich thePolice Departmentis connected to so I think it is for their financial gain. I actually emailed the Attourney General last night. His officecalled me this morning and told me that it was a legal activity in Ohio. He said this is all he could tell me but from what I gatheredit does seem like they are trying to just get money out of me. Thank you for helping me on this issue because they dont make it to clear for me. It is like they dont want me to be able to protect myself without paying for a civil right that I should already have in the first place.

aadvark

imported post

No, you do not need to take any kind of Gun Safety Course whatsoever in order to Open Carry a Firearm in Ohio. Just remeber, while open carry is Legal in Ohio without any need for further Licensure of any kind, it becomes illegal if you go to certain places such as: 1. Class 'D' Licqour PermitLocations, 2. Schools, 3. Courthouses, etc..

jtallen1190

imported post

aadvark Thank you for the info. I completely agree and that was the answer I was looking for. A straight forwardyes or no is always good. I wrote to The Attourney General and Fox 8 news even to try to get answers on this matter because I thought the Police Departments were trying to make me pay for my civil right and that did not at all seem right to me.I cant believe that they do not just tell us the truth. I mean what are they trying to do to this country. I did findthe limitations you have set forth inthe laws about the limitations in which places you cannot carry but never seen anything saying You might have to pay to take a safety course. Thank you for the information. God bless

propertymanager

imported post

I am a new member to this site. I have been reading on this website but still havent found the answer. I am still reading on here. I did know LEO lies about almost everything. I even had a lawyer tell me thatI had to take the classes.
I wouldn't get too carried away. I have been carrying (mostly concealed) in Ohio for more than 5 years. I have had literally dozens of contacts with the police during that time and have found the police to be mostly honest, honorable men and women who are doing a tough job. I don't believe for a moment that the majority of them are liars and I believe that they are trying to do their job as best they can. Having said all that, the police don't often come across people open carrying guns. Because of that, many of them don't know the law pertaining to open carry and therefore many incidents have occurred. That is not an excuse for the police - just an explanation of the issue at hand.

Part of the open carry movement is education - educating the public AND THE POLICE.

I am just saying if we gave into all the cops demands we would not have the right to open carry in the first place. They already think they are supreme and only they should be allowed to carry anyway. That is why they stop people just for having a gun on them.

Again, that is not my experience. I have had literally dozens of contacts with the police while I have been carrying and have not had a single cop infer or imply that I should not be allowed to carry. In fact, in most instances, it's simply a non-issue. They could care less whether a law-abiding citizen is carrying or not. If more people open-carried and it became commonplace, I think the same would be true for open carry!

jtallen1190

imported post

propertymanager wrote:
Part of the open carry movement is education - educating the public AND THE POLICE.
Educating the public I can understand But cops should have to get educated on the law. If they dont know the laws then How can they enforce them? That is what is says in their title. Law Enforcement Officials

jglockner

imported post

As 31 year resident of Barberton, OH (and graduate of BHS) I can attest to the Barberton police comments.....

In fact I was there back in 1987 (i think) when there was a shootout with the police and some guy hold up in his house. This was just a couple of blocks away from the old high school.

I had a real good friend who was the city mechanic (worked on the cruisers) - I seem to remember that the BG ruined about 4 cruisers that day, at least 2 were less than a couple months old.

I was about 15 at the time - realized then how important self defense and situational awareness is.

gllewellyn

imported post

Good luck. Just don't carry openly in a military flap holster... Apparently that means it's a concealed weapon. At least that's what they said anyway. LOL. I think it's better to avoid confrontation whenever possible, which is why I am waiting on my CHL. There is nothing to stop the Sheeple from calling the police when they see your gun in the open. Unfortunately that is the truth of things. Expect to be harassed by local LEO.

D_Weezy

imported post

Remember this, to open carry in a vehicle, you need a CHL. You do not need a class or a permit to walk around openly carrying a weapon. Some places like Cleveland do not like it and may try to harass you because they have City Ordinances against it (even though 9.68 Compliance of the Ohio Revised Code said that they could not).

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/gp9.68

They do not care. This is an on going battle in the Courts right now. I open carry in my small town without any problems. It probably helps, that I am well known by most of the Deputies and the local City LEO's (I went to School with many of them). I believe that your local Law Enforcement Agency is just trying to get money from you. I would however get a CHL just so you don't have to unload your weapon before getting into your vehicle, it is a PITA. Vehicle carry of a handgun in Ohio without a CHL means your magazines must be empty. What good is that for protection?

Ohio Patriot

imported post

As others have mentioned, you do not need any kind of permit, license, or training to openly carry a handgun while afoot in Ohio. This assumes, of course, that you are not prohibited by law of possessing a firearm. If you have a felony, or have been convicted of domestic violence or any drug-related offense, then you can't even own a gun, let alone open carry one.

A lesson learned here... never ask an LEO questions pertaining to law. If you need clarification on a law, consult a lawyer or do your own research.