• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Requirements to register a Shotgun as a Handgun

wally1120

imported post

I have a Remington 870 that I am looking to get Regrestered as a Handgun. What are the Requirments for this? I was also wondering if I could go and put the butt stock on it, How does that work out? Also could I go hunting with the Shotgun if it was just the Pistol grip?

Michigander

imported post

26-30" over all length, 18"+ barrel.

I suggest a folding stock to get the benefit of a stock. Just a pistol grip will make it almost useless beyond 10 yards.

I'm not so good with hunting law questions.

wally1120

imported post

Can the OAL be right at 30"? Or does it just hae to be shy of the 30" line? Also what about the folding stock, If I had that wouldn`t it still be considered a Shotgun? From the end of the Muzzle to where I think the Pistol grip would stop is right at 30", If I got a folding stock then wouldn`t that not be considered a Pistol?

Michigander

imported post

Probably a hair below 30 to be sure.

I have always been told a folding stock gun is measured by michigan law with the stock folded in.

If it's right at 30 with no butt stock, you need to cut or replace the barrel. On my 870, I have a barrel at about 18.2". With the shoulder stock folded in or unscrewed and removed, the OAL is about 27.5".

Edit to add: If you do cut it, make damn sure it's at least 18".

wally1120

imported post

You`r fine, I dont know of many places to get a shorther BBL for a Shotgun. I know that you can take the BBL to a QUALIFIED ginsmith, and he will cut it however you want it.

office888

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
Sorry to cut in ya'll, does anyone know a good web site were I can get a short barrel (18" to 18.5"), and/or a a GREAT pistol grip?
For a pure pistol grip, I advise the Knoxx Breacher or the Pachmyer Vindicator. Both are fairly comfortable, even when shot.

-Richard-

PDinDetroit

imported post

eastmeyers wrote:
Sorry to cut in ya'll, does anyone know a good web site were I can get a short barrel (18" to 18.5"), and/or a a GREAT pistol grip?
I would go to the manufacturers site and order one from there. I was able to pick up a Mossberg 500 12 Gauge 18.5 inch Security Barrel for $81 this way.

Michigander

imported post

There are a number of decent options for a folding stock. (Remington won't normally sell them to non government workers for some idiotic reason) One of the best ones for adaptability to heavy clothing, I think, is the ATI T6 folder.

I personally have an ATI top folder, but the length of pull was 14.5", and I think the max for someone under 6-3 should be 13", at least on a fighting shotgun. So I cut a piece out of the stock to shorten it, and bridged the gap with a piece of oak. Effective, but complicated, which is why I suggest the folding T6, unless youre big framed, or on a budget and patient and good with tools.

As far as new barrels, Cabelas has them, although perhaps for more of a price than they are worth.

Unless you need the barrel you have now for a specific application, or unless it's a really high quality slug barrel, or a shorter barrel that takes choke tubes, I suggest cutting it.

Chopping a barrel is exceptionally easy. You just measure it starting from the bolt face racked forward on an empty chamber, mark it where you want, and use a hack saw, reciprocating saw, or maybe a chop saw to cut it. (if using a hack saw, DO NOT try to cheat by snapping it, because the barrel could tear) Smooth it out with a belt sander, and maybe a rounded file to smooth the inner burrs. The only slightly hard part is putting a sight on it,. That step is easiest with a vent rib barrel, but there are a lot of other options if it's a plain barrel. And with any setup, a smith would probably put a sight on it for 15-25 bucks, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than a new barrel.

reidksmith

imported post

The numbers quoted before are, to my knowledge, correct. But you need to keep in mind one more federal thing.

The government goes by, "once a shotgun/rifle/pistol, always a shotgun/rifle/pistol." To my knowledge, (and I haven't researched this extensively, and thus can't cite anything specific,) you cannot, under Federal Law, turn a shotgun into a pistol.

Obviously this only matters if you need to federally register the gun. Take from that what you may.

Michigander

imported post

Federal law considers a 26" + shotgun with an 18"+ barrel and any stock configuration to be a shotgun, not a pistol. So it's not an issue. Michigan law is the only thing that complicates it.