• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help with SBR tax stamp

jeremy05

imported post

Could anyone please give me some info on how to go about getting a SBR tax stamp? I want to make my GSG5PK with a retractable stock and forgrip. :celebrate

Anyways, Where do I get the paperwork? and I recall there being a box for the gun info, but do i put the stock gun mesurments, or the after the fact mesurments? Also if its after the mods, is it stock opened or closed?

I called the Sheriffs station in Sierra Vista, and they told me because Im law enforcement its ok to have a SBR, I know this cant be right.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
I called the Sheriffs station in Sierra Vista, and they told me because Im law enforcement its ok to have a SBR, I know this cant be right.
It isn't correct. But it is sadly common for 'the law doesn't apply' to cops.

Are you buying it, or making it yourself? Personally, for you? I performed many while in the employ of a Class 3 SOT. Transferring it and Manufacturing it are not the same form.

jeremy05

imported post

ixtow wrote:
jeremy05 wrote:

Are you buying it, or making it yourself? Personally, for you? I performed many while in the employ of a Class 3 SOT. Transferring it and Manufacturing it are not the same form.
Yeah I figured. I was going to use forms OMB 1512-0571 & 1140-0011

I called the ATF and left a message hopefully they will call me back. I would hate to fill out the wrong forms send in 200 bucks and wait 5 months to find out its the wrong forms, or I left some info off.

I bought the GSG5 PK. its the pistol version, I want to put a collapsible stock on it. So I believe its the manufacturing forms. Sierra Vista is pretty easy about getting the CLEO to sign off, usually takes 1 day.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
ixtow wrote:
jeremy05 wrote:

Yeah I figured. I was going to use forms OMB 1512-0571 & 1140-0011

I called the ATF and left a message hopefully they will call me back. I would hate to fill out the wrong forms send in 200 bucks and wait 5 months to find out its the wrong forms, or I left some info off.

I bought the GSG5 PK. its the pistol version, I want to put a collapsible stock on it. So I believe its the manufacturing forms. Sierra Vista is pretty easy about getting the CLEO to sign off, usually takes 1 day.
If memory serves (and it often doesn't anymore), Form 1 (http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=25502 ) is for Manufacturing as an individual. The presence on that forum would suggest I am accurate. ;-) Dunno if you have to be a member to DL it tho...

I'm not sure what your BO is like, but the one I dealt with was actually quite helpful when I started doing the forms. If I made a mistake or left something out, they'd just give me a call back. Sometimes they'd make the correction themselves and just let me know. I never had to wait more than 3 weeks on papers. It helps to deal with them in person if you can. Even if you know deep down that they are all traitors....

On the other side of that coin, it's been almost 2 years and I still haven't heard back from the tech branch about the rifle I want to build.... I know I don't ahve to ask their permission, but I need a determination in unison as to which part is the receiver, so that I know not to outsource it for more than 80% completion. If we disagree on which is which, I may inadvertently have what they call the receiver made to 100% since I DON'T consider it to be the receiver... What a pain in the stupid.

Being a LEO will get you pushed to the front of the line. Also, you'll probably get the Sign off. This is probably where the rumor that LEOs don't have to sweat it comes from. CLEOs usually sign off for their own employees... They still have to do it, but they don't have to worry about a Revocable Trust becasue the sign off is a gimmie.

I almost sprung for one of the GSGs. But I decided to grab the Ruger Charger 10/22 pistol w/ bipod instead. I got 2 of them for the same price as one GSG. My son and I have matching guns now. Mags are everywhere, it costs less, proven design, etc... I did handle several of the GSGs, and I didn't like the latch for the charging handle. It was aluminum, and already showed signs of deformation under spring pressure just from shipping. It was obviously painted black, and not anodized. I wasn't impressed. These were some of the very first ones that came into the states, so I hope they've made some kind of change...

jeremy05

imported post

ATF finally called me back, very nice lady! She is going to mail me the forms I need. She said i will defiantly need the SBR tax stamp.

Hef

imported post

You need to submit a Form 1, in duplicate, with the signature of the chief law enforcement officer in your area (or an acceptable substitute), or you may form an LLC or trust and skip the signature.

You need 2 passport photos, one for each application. Attach them with a little adhesive. I use a glue stick.

You need 2 fingerprint cards. Make sure you get a good set of prints done. Crappy prints will get your application rejected.

You need a completed Form 5330.20, "Certificate of Compliance".

You need a check or money order for $200. I send a bank check, and put my name and the gun's serial number on it.

You then send the application package to the ATF's NFA Division in Martinsburg, WV, and wait for a permit examiner to call you. They might not call you at all, and one day you'll get a package in the mail. In that package will be one of your Form 1's, with a stamp attached to it. That's your permission slip from Uncle Sugar to slap a stock and a VFG on your pistol.

Make a copy of the Form 1, have it notarized, and keep it with the weapon at all time. A VFG with a compartment is good for this. Keep the original in the safe at home and don't ever lose it.

Hef

imported post

I'm waiting on paperwork now to build a 10.5" AR15. I have a GSG-5L that I plan on cutting down to an SBR in the future. I'd like to suppress both of them, but I just can't afford it right now. My wife would beat me to death in my sleep if she found out I spent any more money on guns.

quickrick

imported post

I just got my class III stamp for my GSG5 SBR. It is simple if you state allows it. You need to fill out ATF formOMB No. 1140-0011 application to make and register a firearm. You can get them online or from your local Class III dealer. Fill out both copies, attach a passport photo to each copy. Go to your local police or sheriff and have them make 2 finger print cards and sign off on the forms (both copies). Submit both signed copies along with $200 to the ATF and wait 3-4 months. If everthing clears you will recieve one of the copies back with the tax stamp attached. Once you have that you can go ahead and buy the stock and add to your GSG5 and have fun. If you want to put a silencer on it you have to go through the same paperwork but you only register the silencer and you can use it on any firearm.