• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The gunshoppe in coventry...

jtallen1190

imported post

I called the gunshoppe today in coventry. This iswhere I have purchased many of my firearms. I called them in regard to the question about open carry in Ohio. He said that I was not allowed.I probably will never buy a firearm from there again because they dont even stick up for what they are doing. I cant believe they acted like I have absolutely no right to Open Carry. They said get your CCW because they do the classes through their store. I am really confused at this point about whether it is or isnt legal in Ohio. Why is it that everywhere I try to get information (except on here) they act as if it is illegal to open carry. I mean I have studied the laws on Open Carry laws in Ohio and I just dont get how they can sell me a gun but they dont believe in our second ammendment right. I will never buy anything from there again. This is the problem I am having, Will I get arrested or not for open carrying my Firearm in Akron and Barberton for defense purposes. I have not signed up for the CCW classes or taken any courses in Ohio on weapons or anything of that sort. I have no special training except the fact that I have been shooting guns since the age of 8 and I have been around them all of my life. I am just as safe as they are when it comes down to it. I wish I could get some real Legal advice from a real attourney because the one I called has to be a joke right. because it is getting me more frustrated than anything trying to get the truth Can I just get some real Answers and If these people are lying to me then how can I report this to someone that could do something to make them learn the laws? I thought city laws would be void on gun control if it conflicts with state laws. Is this True? Can I get some truthful responses on this issue and quickly please? I feel like my rigths are being violated by all the places that you think you would be able to trust. Thank you and God Bless.

propertymanager

imported post

You aren't going to get legal advice on a forum; from a gun store; from the police; or from anyone other than a lawyer. You may not get GOOD legal advice even when you do get it from an attorney. You apparently have studied the law in Ohio and know that it is legal to open carry in Ohio. However, as you have already seen, MANY people (including many police officers) simply don't know the law and don't know that it's legal to open carry in Ohio. Furthermore, ordinary citizens in Ohio are not used to seeing people walk around open carrying. That often results in these people calling the police when they see someone carrying a gun. When the police arrive, what happens will depend on the understanding of the police officer. If the officer doesn't know the law in Ohio, he may very well detain you or even arrest you. It won't be legal and will be the basis for a lawsuit on your part, but it may happen anyway.

If you are not comfortable with the possibility that you'll be detained, or even arrested, (even though that will be an illegal action by the police), then don't open carry. It's just that simple.

If you want to be an activist and exercise your constitutional rights, then be prepared for the consequences. If not, then get your concealed carry license and you'll be less likely to be harrassed by the cops.

jtallen1190

imported post

property manager you are the coolest. Thanks for taking the time to explain. I will take my chances and Open Carry. Thank you and God Bless

Bustelo5%

imported post

I must ad that most of the people who work at the Gun Shoppe are NRA instructors and anyone who isnt paying them for their classes is a threat to their business. I am actually a fan of that store since everytime I go in there I can ask questions and learn.
I mean Akron already has a notification for all AKPD officers from their hireups what else can you ask for.

thebishop_1999

imported post

To properymanager. You are right in the way you put it!Great to hear from someone that tells it like it is. Spend the money and get a CCP . If all of us would understand the law. A "Concealed Carry" is for a "GUN" not a "weapon". The reason for that is that a knife does not fall under the CCP, only guns fall under that.