• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My talk with a DNR Officer

wally1120

imported post

I was talking to a DNR Officer today, I was asking If I converted my Remington 870 Shotgun to a Handgun, Could I carry the Remington under the CPL laws? He told me that if I am out hunting with ANY firearm that it must be Unloaded, When I am in a Motor Vehicle, Is this correct? He said that if anyone has a gun that they are hunting with, It isn`t covered in the CPL Laws. I also asked if I was Hunting/Carrying on Private Property Concealed, And Harvested game with my real Handgun, Could I return to carrying Concealed? He said any Firearm that is used to Harvest game isn`t under the CPL, It goes into the Huntring laws. Is this correct? I was confused on this one, My Dad and I carry Handguns that meet the requirments of being capable of harvesting game, And we also carry those guns for SD.

So can I carry a Kimber Concealed on Private Property, Harvest Game on the same Property, Then return to carrying Concealed? And my Dad carrying a Kimber, Ruger Blackhawk, And a Taurus 85 do the same? Also can we carry the Firearms Concealed to and from hunting, Loaded in the vehicle?

PDinDetroit

imported post

I can find no law in the MCL nor in the 2009 MI Hunting and Trapping Guide that prevents you from hunting with your pistol carried under a Concealed Pistol License and moving it between functions (Hunting or Personal Protection). I assume you are discussing this under the context of Firearm Deer Season (Nov 15-30).

Links:

Hunting Guide Firearms Regulations: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_37141_37706-31578--,00.html

Transport Regulations: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_37141_37706_37727-31579--,00.html

Handgun Regulations: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_37141_37706-31584--,00.html

MCL on DNR CPL Non-Promulgation: http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-324-504

mikestilly

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
I was talking to a DNR Officer today, I was asking If I converted my Remington 870 Shotgun to a Handgun, Could I carry the Remington under the CPL laws? He told me that if I am out hunting with ANY firearm that it must be Unloaded, When I am in a Motor Vehicle, Is this correct? He said that if anyone has a gun that they are hunting with, It isn`t covered in the CPL Laws. I also asked if I was Hunting/Carrying on Private Property Concealed, And Harvested game with my real Handgun, Could I return to carrying Concealed? He said any Firearm that is used to Harvest game isn`t under the CPL, It goes into the Huntring laws. Is this correct? I was confused on this one, My Dad and I carry Handguns that meet the requirments of being capable of harvesting game, And we also carry those guns for SD.

So can I carry a Kimber Concealed on Private Property, Harvest Game on the same Property, Then return to carrying Concealed? And my Dad carrying a Kimber, Ruger Blackhawk, And a Taurus 85 do the same? Also can we carry the Firearms Concealed to and from hunting, Loaded in the vehicle?

They sound no different then Jackson or Warren PD. Ignorant and making statements that dont reflect law. I'd say it's safe to say asking them is as good as asking regulard police officers about gun laws. Based on video evidence I'd say they are the last people to ask.

Mike

SlowDog

imported post

I am one who hunts with a pistol on my hip. While I don't use it as my primary weapon I have harvested game with it. It is a Ruger Redhawk 44mag with 7.5 in. barrel. I carry it on my hip yet have been known to use a shoulder holster when weather bad. I have been stopped b4 with it loaded with a carry license and there was not a problem. The DNR while have a rough job to do tend to think they are above the law. They do illegal searches all the time and like some LEO's might tend to give slightly skewed advice.....Might be real careful here....just saying...

viperar15

imported post

though... i think (i might be wrong) if you use u're concealed carry gunto hunt with also... it has to be loaded in respect to the game laws (deer hunting... 3 rounds). right? or is pistol different? i never hunted with pistol before.

T Vance

imported post

The DNR does not always know what they are talking about. I told Wally after he had this talk with the DNR, from now on ask them to cite the law.

A few years ago I called the DNR (I forget what city - somewhere in the Metro Detroit area) down here and asked them if I could target shoot in the shotgun zone of Michigan with a rifle such as an AK-47 on state land as long as it was not deer hunting season. The woman told me "abosolutly no". The way I read it online on the DNR website it looked like I could. I called to verbally clarify this.

I was not satisfied with her answer and called a DNR office in Gaylord. I asked the exact same question. He told me I COULD target practice on state land with a rifle in the shotgun zone.

So call this guy back and tell him to cite the law. If that fails, call the Gaylord DNR. But as PDinDetroit said, he can't find a law.What the DNR officer told you sounds like BSor he has no idea what he is talking about. This is why ALL officers need to have continued education in order to keep their jobs!

wally1120

imported post

Yeah I should have realized this, When he started saying all that he was talking about. I just thought that a DNR officer would be more knowlegable about the laws. But I guess not.

PDinDetroit

imported post

Yes, Southfield. Great place for a DNR Office to be located:

1. No hunting in Southfield, although there are plenty of deer in the Rouge River Watershed.

2. Anti-Gun Mayor running the show.

/Sarc Off

T Vance

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:

1. No hunting in Southfield, although there are plenty of deer in the Rouge River Watershed.

/Sarc Off
No kidding. I'm sure they're swamped with DNR related issues in the Metro Detroit area!:banghead:

THway

imported post

T Vance wrote:
This is why ALL officers need to have continued education in order to keep their jobs!
Paramedics and firefighters are both civil servants just like police are. These 2 professions both require the person to retest every few years. If you fail to retest the state can, will and does pull your license. IF that should happen, guess what... back to school you go. The SAME should apply to police. After a few years, police officers should be schooled and tested on the new laws, and the old ones that have changed. Failing to retest would result in having your MCOLE certification revoked.

A misinformed officer of the law can, will and has jammed up good law abiding citizens with useless aggravation and time in court. In the end who pays for the cheap service? the person receiving it.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

wally1120 wrote:
I was talking to a DNR Officer today, I was asking If I converted my Remington 870 Shotgun to a Handgun, Could I carry the Remington under the CPL laws? He told me that if I am out hunting with ANY firearm that it must be Unloaded, When I am in a Motor Vehicle, Is this correct? NO He said that if anyone has a gun that they are hunting with, It isn`t covered in the CPL Laws. That is incorrect. I also asked if I was Hunting/Carrying on Private Property Concealed, And Harvested game with my real Handgun, Could I return to carrying Concealed? He said any Firearm that is used to Harvest game isn`t under the CPL, It goes into the Huntring laws. Is this correct? No I was confused on this one, My Dad and I carry Handguns that meet the requirments of being capable of harvesting game, And we also carry those guns for SD.

So can I carry a Kimber Concealed on Private Property, Harvest Game on the same Property, Then return to carrying Concealed? And my Dad carrying a Kimber, Ruger Blackhawk, And a Taurus 85 do the same? Also can we carry the Firearms Concealed to and from hunting, Loaded in the vehicle? If you have a CPL you can carry any lawful handgun concealed in a vehicle.
As stated if you are hunting with a handgun you must use the types allowed, that is caliber, magazine capacity and non-shouldered cartridge.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:

/Sarc Off
There are scads of lakes and rec areas in the area. Fishing, camping, hiking, boating, etc. are all under their jurisdiction too.

wally1120

imported post

Alright, I am glad that someone could clarify all of this crap up for me. I know there were alot of questions that I was ranting on about but, Noone can ever be to safe on firearm issues. All of the Handguns that I lised are fully legal to go hunting with. My Kimber is 8 + 1 in the Magazine so I know that it is pushing the limits but, This is the gun that holds the most ammo. And yes there is a CPL holder present, Transporting back and forth to the Hunting location.