Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Range ideas

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lansing,MI, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    24

    Post imported post

    Anyone in Lansing area, male or female, that can recommend a ladies-friendly range where I can learn & get good practice? No gun of my own yet. Have to wait for the residency requirement to kick in before gettingmy permit so in the meantime I'm educating myself on guns.

    There is a new range on Jolly Rd, south of Aurelius, (Shooting Sports, I think?) Has anyone been there as yet?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Regular Member PDinDetroit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SE, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,336

    Post imported post

    Kim wrote:
    Anyone in Lansing area, male or female, that can recommend a ladies-friendly range where I can learn & get good practice? No gun of my own yet. Have to wait for the residency requirement to kick in before gettingmy permit so in the meantime I'm educating myself on guns.

    There is a new range on Jolly Rd, south of Aurelius, (Shooting Sports, I think?) Has anyone been there as yet?

    Thanks.
    You might want to post this question in the MI State Forum. Yes, there are people in the Lansing Area that can help!

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/

    BTW - There will be a reduced cost Concealed Pistol License (CPL) class being held listed here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/34268.html

    Having a CPL makes it MUCH EASIER to OC in MI, even though I do not agree with needing a permit to exercise a RIGHT.
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lansing,MI, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    24

    Post imported post

    Will do. Thanks for the info.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    63

    Post imported post

    I can't help you out on finding any gun ranges, but I'm really glad to hear that you want to educate yourself on firearms.

    All the best,

    SD2010

  5. #5
    Regular Member Alexcabbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    2,290

    Post imported post

    I think you will find that any range and instructional course suited to men is also suited to women as well. In fact at most places I know the ladies are especially welcome due to the fact that self-protection is arguably an even more urgent issue for females.

    There are perhaps a few issues such as selection of a firearm suitable for smaller hands, etc; but it is not like a woman needs to alter her body to accommodate drawing a bowstring or anything. That went out with the Amazons. But basic firearms training is exactly the same for both sexes, and a range is not some "boys club"; some of us may look like big beefy rednecks but with a few exceptions (fewer than you will find in day-to-day life) th range crowd is composed of polite, civil individuals and IMO and experience you will be made to feel quite welcome at any firing range.

  6. #6
    Regular Member 45acpForMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Yorktown, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,803

    Post imported post

    Alexcabbie wrote:
    ... In fact at most places I know the ladies are especially welcome due to the fact that self-protection is arguably an even more urgent issue for females.

    ..... IMO and experience you will be made to feel quite welcome at any firing range.
    Since most ranges are made up of mostly male members you may have members/staff fighting over who gets to assist you. :-)

    You can get input from women on this board and if you prefer, you can call ranges to see if they have female staff youcan deal with. They may be better qualified to make relevant suggestions than someone with big beefy hands and a beer belly to absorb recoil. (only describing myself)

    As far as ranges go, some are more modern/clean/comfortable than others and you can simply visit each to see which meets your desires. Personally I will take a old-fashioned run down range with friendly staff over a modern/high-tech range with a-holes running it. My personal favorite option at a range is if they provide a cleaning station so I don't have to clean my guns at home. I try to keep the lead away from my kids as much as possible.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lansing,MI, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    24

    Post imported post

    Thanks for all of the comments.I have no particular preference, per se, to either sex assisting me at a range. I just want someone who doesn't have an attitude about women owning guns, that's friendly and, obviously, knowledgeable. So far, most men have been very helpful and receptive about women shooters, and they seem to admire the fact that I want to learn. I only have 1 female friend that shoots, so I can't really comment on how women think.

    I really don't want a handgun that's too small.I'm 5'10'' and don't have what you'd call small hands so I don't think I'd like that. As far as recoil, I shot a friend's .44 and really didn't have a problem with it at all, and he said he was impressed for me being a newbie. Shooting is alot of fun and I look forward to making this a hobby for life. :celebrate



  8. #8
    Regular Member 45acpForMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Yorktown, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,803

    Post imported post

    Kim wrote:
    I really don't want a handgun that's too small.I'm 5'10'' and don't have what you'd call small hands so I don't think I'd like that. As far as recoil, I shot a friend's .44 and really didn't have a problem with it at all, and he said he was impressed for me being a newbie. Shooting is alot of fun and I look forward to making this a hobby for life. :celebrate

    When you purchase a gun you usually have some function in mind like full size for home defense or small for concealed carry. There are many good choices and the only real way to know what is ok for you is to try the different guns (size, caliber, etc). I always recommend buying the biggest (barrel length, caliber, grip length) that meets your requirements (including recoil management).

    And remember you can always own more than one. If you have different modes of carry and planned use it is often better to get separate guns for each purpose. There are many good choices and it is hard to go wrong, if you try them before buying. If you buy it without trying you may find yourself regretting the purchase and almost immediately start looking for a better fit.

    Good luck, and if you have been a "good little girl" (or woman if that offends you) maybe Santa will bring you some ammo or better yet a new handgun. :-)

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lansing,MI, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    24

    Post imported post

    When I do purchase my first handgun, it will be after a lot more reading and research, and trying out different sizes, etc. for the right one. A lot of people have told me toget a shotgun for home defense first, but I'm undecided whether that's the way to go. I'd like my first purchase to be a carry gun that I practice with.

    Ahhh yes...I plan on owning many guns in my lifetime. Specifically, if I like the way it shoots, my "wish list" includes a Kimber .45, I believe a Stainless Steel Raptor, and a beautiful wood-grain Winchester rifle.

    And no, LOL, I'm not offended at the "girl" reference.



  10. #10
    Regular Member Alexcabbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    2,290

    Post imported post

    A Kimber? Heck, I wanna get a Rolls Royce - and paint it into a taxicab. Better still, I'd like to put on my best suit and all, go into a RR dealer andd really come off like a swell and then gradually let it dawn on them that I intended to install a radio, computer and meter and slap yellow paint on it; and have somebdy record the whole deal for YouTube. Imagine how aghast the manager would be.:celebrate

    Why not get a good basic 1911 and have it gunsmithed, customized and tweaked over time, (but stop before you get to the firearms equivalent of Michael Jackson)

    (Hassling with the snow here has driven me loopy. sorry.)

  11. #11
    Regular Member 45acpForMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Yorktown, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,803

    Post imported post

    Alexcabbie wrote:
    (Hassling with the snow here has driven me loopy. sorry.)
    Man Alexcabbie you get cabin fever kind of quick.

    Kim, if you read other threads here you will see many people love Kimbers, some hate them. If you are looking for a 1911 read through a thread I started: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/31976.html There are other 1911 threads too.

    I love the look of the raptor in stainless! I am happy with the 1911's I have and couldn't justify spending the amount for the Kimber. To each his/her own though.

    As far as a shotgun, it was my first purchase and you can get them for between $250 and $400 for a pump action. So as a first gun they are pretty cheap. They are the best for home defense with birdshot or buckshot. Birdshot has less chance of over penetrating walls and hitting a family member in another room. BUT a shotgun is a little harder to maneuver and holdsfewer rounds. Granted those rounds can be devastating but still I prefer more than 4+1. I bought a tactical remmington 870 which is 6+1 and bought an extension magazine which made my other 870 a 7+1 and then added a 6 cartridge carrier for added ammo. Shotguns are cheap, easy to use and the sound of a pump action chambering a round is a universal "Oh sh_t!" sound for a bad guy.

    So I guess what I am saying is while you are researching which pistol you want getting a cheap shotgun gives you alot of self-defense capability.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lansing,MI, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    24

    Post imported post

    Whoa....simmer down there, fella! :what:It seems people have very definite opinions on Kimbers. I will reserve my decision until I shoot one. But for right now they sure are good lookin'! It seems Ihave a knack for alwayswanting the most expensive ofanything that I see.

    Where I live I have lots of neighbors and yes, you're right that the pump sound of a shotgun would be a good deterrent, so thanks for the info.





  13. #13
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    396

    Post imported post

    Kim wrote:
    I just want someone who doesn't have an attitude about women owning guns...
    I have an attitude about women owning guns...

    I think it is FREAKIN' AWESOME! :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate







  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sandy Springs, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    263

    Post imported post

    Kim wrote:
    It seems Ihave a knack for alwayswanting the most expensive ofanything that I see.
    Oddly,I have that same issue with every one of my interestsEXCEPT for guns. $4000 road bike? Check. Top of the line scuba gear? Check. $2000 1911? :shock: When I look at a gun going for $1200+ all I see is the 3 Glocks or 2 XDs (plus a bunch of ammo) that I can get for the same price. Hell, my favorite 1911 is the$500OD Green Springfield GI, although I'd certainly make an exception for a nice Delta Elite...

  15. #15
    Regular Member okboomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    1,164

    Post imported post

    Kim wrote:
    my "wish list" includes a Kimber .45, I believe a Stainless Steel Raptor, and a beautiful wood-grain Winchester rifle.
    Hi Kim, I am of the female persuasion also, and I LOVE MY KIMBER :celebrate

    It is the top shooter in my avatar and in .45. It shoots SWEET! Mine is the Ultra Carry II and came with an NRA laser grip, but I don't need that.

    The Kimber was the third gun I won at a Friends of NRA banquet ... $100 in tickets and I score a $1000+ gun ... awesome!

    I also seem to go for the high-end guns, too, but if it is what you want, then it is what you want

    I also have more than1 pair of tennis shoes, and more than1 pair of boots, and more than 1 pair of high heeled shoes ... and I have more than 1 carry pistol. I also have more than 1 rifle, and more than 1 shotgun.

    I also have a 9mm EMP that I carry. I bought that one because it is soooooo pretty.

    I do, however, draw the line at pink

    Whatever trips your trigger is what you should buy. And yes, one of these days I will probably have a gold-engraved Baby Desert Eagle
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

    Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

  16. #16
    Regular Member Alexcabbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    2,290

    Post imported post

    okboomer wrote:
    Kim wrote:
    my "wish list" includes a Kimber .45, I believe a Stainless Steel Raptor, and a beautiful wood-grain Winchester rifle.
    Hi Kim, I am of the female persuasion also, and I LOVE MY KIMBER :celebrate

    It is the top shooter in my avatar and in .45. It shoots SWEET! Mine is the Ultra Carry II and came with an NRA laser grip, but I don't need that.

    The Kimber was the third gun I won at a Friends of NRA banquet ... $100 in tickets and I score a $1000+ gun ... awesome!

    I also seem to go for the high-end guns, too, but if it is what you want, then it is what you want

    I also have more than1 pair of tennis shoes, and more than1 pair of boots, and more than 1 pair of high heeled shoes ... and I have more than 1 carry pistol. I also have more than 1 rifle, and more than 1 shotgun.

    I also have a 9mm EMP that I carry. I bought that one because it is soooooo pretty.

    I do, however, draw the line at pink

    Whatever trips your trigger is what you should buy. And yes, one of these days I will probably have a gold-engraved Baby Desert Eagle
    Back in 1973, at a Georgetown dive (yes, Georgettown used to have some splendid dives) I ran into another Security Policeman who was home on leave from the SAC base in Minot. Back then, SAC was notorious for being spit-and-polish strict to the point of being ridiculous, especially among us cops. Well, Mr. Minot carried on about how SAC SPs were "allowed" to have staghorn grips on their .38s (wow :quirky) So eventually I told him that I would gladly tranfer to SAC if I could have pearl grips.

    He made some kind of excuse and scooted down the bar....

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lansing,MI, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    24

    Post imported post

    Oh yes...I'd eventually like lots of expensive guns, a Harley, and a log home. And I will be blessed with all of them eventually.

    okboomer....that is awesome that you won all that cool stuff at the banquet. I think I'll make it a goal to go there one day. TOO cool! I'm with you on the pink guns...I like the color pink but wouldn't want a gun in that color.

    Maybe the pearl grips would be ok though......:celebrate



  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787

    Post imported post

    Yes, I think the days of "No Women Allowed!" at shooting ranges is long over. In fact, long before I started shooting, and I'm 46!
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •