• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

East Bay OC'ing Meet

woody510

imported post

i would like to do a meet on this side between Newark and Pinole but i don't think we will have to much of a turn out maybe 3 or 4 people but i think thats all we have now so if you have a spot in mind let me know

glocked-N-loaded

imported post

woody510 wrote:
i would like to do a meet on this side between Newark and Pinole but i don't think we will have to much of a turn out maybe 3 or 4 people but i think thats all we have now so if you have a spot in mind let me know
dublin is a well centered location for everyone. Its up to you.

Livermoron

imported post

There is a Peet's Coffee (much better than Starbucks IMO) on Tassajara Road at the Waterford Shops. This is easy access from HWY-580 and just about2 miles down the road from the Dublin Blvd Starbucks previously discussed.The closest school property line looks to be in excess of 2500' away... :question:

Also - a Starbucks in San Ramon,at 9150Alcosta Blvd,looks ot beabout 2100' to the closest school... :question:

JJ

imported post

Well I guess I read this post about 14 hours too late......I definitely would have attended as I didn't work Wednesday and would love to get together with some other OCers in the area.
Please post an update as I am curious how things went. I too am new to OCing, have only done it few times, but plan on making it a regular thing.
Hopefully another one will be planned soon. All I need is at least a weeks notice. I make my own schedule, am off during the week, but usually take at least one week-end off per month. I'm good with any of the above mentioned Cities.

Freedom_Is_Popular

imported post

Hello fellow OCers! I just joined the group and I'm eager to get involved. I have been following the OC movement ever since KTVU covered the topic.

Last week, I spoke with Livermore Police Chief Steve Sweeneyabout OC in Livermore. Needless to say, I have some concerns about the conflicting information regarding open carry in a vehicle. It seems as though the police even have a tough time with this particular part of the law.

Tomorrow, I'll contact Pleasanton PD to seewhat they think about open carry. I'll report back soon with some information.

*On a side note, I am more than willing to attend a meeting with you guys anytime. I look forward to it!

In Liberty,

Walter

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Freedom_Is_Popular wrote:
Hello fellow OCers! I just joined the group and I'm eager to get involved. I have been following the OC movement ever since KTVU covered the topic.

Last week, I spoke with Livermore Police Chief Steve Sweeneyabout OC in Livermore. Needless to say, I have some concerns about the conflicting information regarding open carry in a vehicle. It seems as though the police even have a tough time with this particular part of the law.

Tomorrow, I'll contact Pleasanton PD to seewhat they think about open carry. I'll report back soon with some information.

*On a side note, I am more than willing to attend a meeting with you guys anytime. I look forward to it!

In Liberty,

Walter

Welcome to OCDO.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I do question the need to repeatedly contact multiple police departments asking them their opinion about open carry. There are more and more interested parties getting involved and if they all call local law enforcement asking whether they believe it is legal or 'how they feel' about it, Im sure they will let us know... by discouraging the practice by whatever means they think is necessary. (Including contacting the state legislature.)

Law enforcement is not an outlet for sound legal advice. If you want to know whether or not something is legal, I would suggest consulting an attorney.

I would also point out, that as a collective, we here in the California forum have already established what is and isnt legal about open carry in California. (Please find the pamphlets we have produced)There is no need to re-prove our position on the law by calling around to public servants and burn their time.

Freedom_Is_Popular

imported post

I will take a look at the other posts/discussions/pamphlets, and I am fully aware that law enforcement will attempt to discourage me (and others) from doing this. Please send me some links if you have them.

If it makes you feel any better Inever consider alaw enforcement officers' interpretation of the law as the final word, especially when it comes to firearms. In fact, I usually find myself scratching my head, questioning their reasoning about what actually is, or is not lawful. If I didn't take my rights' so seriously, it would almost be laughable. :banghead:

However, I do feel that it's important to see what they're talking about, so I know what to expect if and when I am confronted.

For one, I learned that Livermore Policeofficers' may orderan individualthat is open carrying to the ground upon making contact. I find this completely outrageous and un-called for.

I also found out that the LPD is planning toimplement standard department procedures for dealing with individuals that are open carrying. I consider this particular information useful.

I do understand your point though ConditionThree.Thanks for the comments.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

http://californiaopencarry.org is the main resource for a variety of pamphlets, business cards, letters, and other information.

One thing I've noticed since I've joined this forum, is that the actions of police officers in the field and the actions an officer describes over the phone are seldom the same. A number of police officers in California are uncomfortable with having non-cops carrying firearms, and that's not without reason.

Generally when a police officer is dealing with a person with a firearm, that person is a criminal. Some police officers have a difficult time coming to grips that a law abiding citizen would be carrying a handgun and minding his own business and not involved in anything nefarious. So when you pick up a phone and call a police officer up and ask them about how they would act, they usually think about the many times they've dealt with a firearm while on the job, and they tell you how they acted in the past.

It's unfortunate that guns have such a bad rap with police officers, but slowly but surely we're convincing police officers that guns aren't a bad thing.

At least, that's the idea.