• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.45 vs 9mm

smash29

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
Now I get pissed that in these threads there is always someone comparing a JHP 9mm to a ball 45. For self defense you will not be carrying ball ammo unless you haven't found any yet.
Along the same lines (and for the same reason) I'd be a happy camper if people would stopusing the performanceof 9mm FMJ to condemn the caliber as a poor choice for self defense.

dukenukum

imported post

the big reason I choose the .45 over 9mm for a defensive round was my Dad had the reloading dies and the bullet molds for .45 yep no big .45 is better than 9mm stuff.

CommonMan101

imported post

I started off with wanting ONE gun to fill both of my needs - hunting and PP.

I considered everything and ended up with a 10mm. Has 9mm-like capacity and more power than a .45acp.

15 + 1 of .357-like power.

Shot placement is paramount but penetration istoo when it comes to hogs, so I pick my ammo accordingly.

Versatility - I also get to swap out the barrell for 40sw or 357sig. Don't care about the 9x25 option but it's there too if I wanted. So I havethree guns in one. If shtf I should be able to find ammo if I run out of reload material.

Nosingle gun is perfectfor everyone - just the one that suits you best.

Love my Glock but would love many others too, if I had the money.

Fusions have my interest at the moment for the next purchase.

Fusion3.jpg

Good luck and happy hunting for that gun.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

jay75009 wrote:
i've been thinking about getting a 10mm........best of both worlds, does anyone know if glock makes one?

GLOCK makes two 10mm pistols.

A full size model 20 and a "subcompact"model 29.

Recently they introduced these two models in the SF (slim frame) size, so I guess it's really 4 pistols now.

I just picked up a 20SF this week. The grip feels better to me than the 20 did. I plan to get a 29SF soon.

CommonMan101

imported post

jay75009 wrote:
i've been thinking about getting a 10mm........best of both worlds, does anyone know if glock makes one?

LOL guess I didn't write it out in plain english! That's what my previous post was about.

A Glock 20 (10mm) with after market barrelsin 40sw and 357sig.

Three guns in one.

45acpForMe

imported post

I just met a fellow OC-er at the Hampton Gun show that just bought himself a Glock 10mm.

I would think that 45acp or 9mmwould be betterfor self defense purposes since the 10mm has (in his words) crazy power and may (very well could) overpenetrate.

While the 10mm is a curiousity for me I don't plan to get one anytime soon. I do think that a Glock 10mm would probably be better (cheaper too)than a Magnum Research in 44 but ammo availability may be an issue. You also always have S&W 50 caliber revolvers too. If I ever go into "grizzly" country I may acquire one of the above. :)

Marco

imported post

I would think that 45acp or 9mmwould be betterfor self defense purposes since the 10mmmay (very well could) overpenetrate.
Every caliber has the potenial to overpenetrate!!!!!
Many 9mm loadings are notorious offenders.
This has little to do with the caliber but Bullet design.

Most people that make claims about the 10mmhave usually never fired one, let alone used one to dispatchany game.

:idea:
No matter what you decide to use proper consideration should be given to what the pro and con's are.

Marco

imported post

smash29 wrote:
45acpForMe wrote:
Now I get pissed that in these threads there is always someone comparing a JHP 9mm to a ball 45. For self defense you will not be carrying ball ammo unless you haven't found any yet.
Along the same lines (and for the same reason) I'd be a happy camper if people would stopusing the performanceof 9mm FMJ to condemn the caliber as a poor choice for self defense.
There are many credible long time posters that profess to use LSWC and FMJ's for SD.

IIRC,there are many gun writers that sing the praises of 230gr 45acp FMJ's for SD use.
Combat Handguns Aug 2009-Combat Corner pg 66

Until recently NYPD issued FMJ ammo for their officer's Glock 9mm's.

Alexcabbie

imported post

I like the 9mm because the ammo is less expensive and facilitates practice at reasonable prices. The Germans killed a lot of Soviets with the 9mm, and that's a pretty good reference.

Still I keep thinking I need to add a .45 ACP to my collection. I can handle a .44 Magmum one-handed so a .45 wouldn't be all that in terms of recoil, etc. But a range sesion with either the .44 or the .45 is somewhat of a luxury in terms of ammo costs. Then again, when I CC it is usually a PPK/s in .380 and I guess everybody knows what is up with the price of that stuff.

CommonMan101

imported post

HankT wrote:
jay75009 wrote:

GLOCK makes two 10mm pistols.

A full size model 20 and a "subcompact"model 29.

Recently they introduced these two models in the SF (slim frame) size, so I guess it's really 4 pistols now.

I just picked up a 20SF this week. The grip feels better to me than the 20 did. I plan to get a 29SF soon.

SF = Short Frame not Slim Frame

The distance between the front and back strap is shorter. It is still a double stack magazine in use. So it is still wide - the grip size is reduced froma shorter distance between front & back strapsnotany slimness.

Often confused with Slimline which is the 45acp - Model 36.That is the only model I know of with the Slimline attribute.

IthoughtSF meant thatat first myself because I first read about this featurefrom someone whomis-understood what SF waswhen he wrote about it. Just trying to keep it straightfor the Glock newbies in case they read your post and do the same thing.

I'm sure a gun dealer doesn't care and will sell it regardless of what anyone thinks it stands for though! lol So, no big deal in the end. They still get a more grip-friendly gun for those with smaller hands.

If I'm wrong about this I need a link - mine all say this is so. I have no problem correcting myself if I am shown this to be wrong. But I would be fine with betting a shiny nickel on this.

CommonMan101

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
I just met a fellow OC-er at the Hampton Gun show that just bought himself a Glock 10mm.

I would think that 45acp or 9mmwould be betterfor self defense purposes since the 10mm has (in his words) crazy power and may (very well could) overpenetrate.

While the 10mm is a curiousity for me I don't plan to get one anytime soon. I do think that a Glock 10mm would probably be better (cheaper too)than a Magnum Research in 44 but ammo availability may be an issue. You also always have S&W 50 caliber revolvers too. If I ever go into "grizzly" country I may acquire one of the above. :)

Well, I've thought about this much and when I did the research on the actual power I found it was a virtual twin to the .357 magnum. So if that is an OK cartridge to use then a 10mm should be better since you get so many more rounds per magazine

If you use something like a 10mm 135Gr HP you should get simular results as a .357 magnum defensive cartridge. Even the 155gr & 165gr loads can be loaded to 40S&W power if you were worried about too much power. Too much? That's crazy talk!

But seriously, the 10mm can be tailored to whatever power you want so giving up the possibility of the high end and settling for a garaunteed lower power was not an option I thought was sane when I was so budget minded. Why not have it all? All the Glocks were the same price no matter what I chose so why not give myself as much range as possible for the same dollar?

Now, if you use a hunting load then you move to deep penetration and for SD you stand a real good chance of making a through and through with all usual possibilities that you didn't hit anything vital.

All I can say about using a 10mm hunting load for self defense is that you should learn to duck as it goes through them and travels around the world - so you won't be shot by your own bullet! :shock:

:lol:

CommonMan101

Rugerp345

imported post

Ahh, the battle between the 9mm and the .45ACP. You left one out; the .40S&W.

Every time someone brings up calibers, someone has to drag the .40 out of their ass. Dude was asking about 9mm vs. .45.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Rugerp345 wrote:

Every time someone brings up calibers, someone has to drag the .40 out of their ass. Dude was asking about 9mm vs. .45.

+1
Yes, but it's not bad to let someone consider another viable option, and the .40 might be superior to both the 9mm and .45 ACP as a defensive round, although I consider all three rounds adequate. Shot placement will have far more to do with the outcome of a gun fight than what sort of bullets are getting launched downrange. I suggest using whichever round you can shoot with the best combination of speed and accuracy. Over time, this may change, upwards or downwards-- depending upon one's skills improving, or deteriorating due to age or physical limitations.

The 10mm was mentioned above also. I love my G20, and it is damn accurate, but the major drawbacks are the cost and availability of ammunition. The cost was already somewhat ridiculously high before all ammo when up in price. Shooting a 10mm is, oh, maybe roughly similar to shooting a .357 magnum. Hard to compare however because the milder rounds aren't much different than shooting standard .40 S&W and the hotter rounds are considerably more potent. I can't see the point of shooting mild 10mm because you're basically spending double the money to make the same hole as the .40 will make.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Rugerp345 wrote:

+1
Yes, but it's not bad to let someone consider another viable option, and the .40 might be superior to both the 9mm and .45 ACP as a defensive round, although I consider all three rounds adequate.  Shot placement will have far more to do with the outcome of a gun fight than what sort of bullets are getting launched downrange.  I suggest using whichever round you can shoot with the best combination of speed and accuracy.  Over time, this may change, upwards or downwards-- depending upon one's skills improving, or deteriorating due to age or physical limitations.

The 10mm was mentioned above also.  I love my G20, and it is damn accurate, but the major drawbacks are the cost and availability of ammunition.  The cost was already somewhat ridiculously high before all ammo when up in price.  Shooting a 10mm is, oh, maybe roughly similar to shooting a .357 magnum.  Hard to compare however because the milder rounds aren't much different than shooting standard .40 S&W and the hotter rounds are considerably more potent.  I can't see the point of shooting mild 10mm because you're basically spending double the money to make the same hole as the .40 will make.

The fact is that ballistically the .40 S&W and the .45 are almost identical. It was amazing that the government spent millions of dollars coming up with it. The only reason this happend was because they knew politically they did not want anything like a 9mm, and they had a mindset against the .45 because in standard loadings it does not exceed the speed of sound.

So they took a smaller bullet, pushed it a little harder and viola! The miracle bullet of the 20th century. Why miracle? Because shooters will buy almost anything that seems new, even if it is demonstrably very close to what is already available. The biggest plus in the .40 is that you can carry 1 or 2 extra rounds per magazine that you can with the .45.

The difference between the .40 and the .45 on paper is not worth arguing over.

I believe the irony in this case was that even when someone goes out of their way to limit the discussion by setting specific parameters in the topic, people refuse to answer the specific question without substituting there own question for that of the OP first.

Regards

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Then there are those that will say that the .40 cal is but a detuned 10mm - I am one of those. :)

Yata hey