• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.45 vs 9mm

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Then there are those that will say that the .40 cal is but a detuned 10mm - I am one of those. :)

Yata hey

Well, like Napoleon, the .40 S&W is a little shorter than the regular 10mm. I suppose this is to save on the cost of brass that is not need for powder capacity.:lol:

Regards

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Then there are those that will say that the .40 cal is but a detuned 10mm - I am one of those. :)

Yata hey

Well, like Napoleon, the .40 S&W is a little shorter than the regular 10mm. I suppose this is to save on the cost of brass that is not need for powder capacity.:lol:

Regards
That and to save jobs of those in the service of his majesty that could not handle the 10mm. :)

Yata hey

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
The .40S&W is an excellent defensive caliber and while I have never used it or any other handgun load to shoot someone, I understand it is an effective load.

Comments and opinions are welcome of course.

Ok,

How does 9mm compare to .45 ACP? Oh... Wait ... that was the question the OP asked. Never mind.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

gutshot wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

Regards
No, it was to allow it to fit into a 9mm sized frame.

Yes. That would be why there was a smiley at the end of the JOKE!:banghead:

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Consider this. Assuming you do not hit something really important, Shutting biological organisms down has a lot to do with blood loss. Making blood leak out has a lot to do with the size of the hole you make. You decide...

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Eh, that .06" difference between .40 and .45 isn't going to make a difference--- medical examiners cannot tell the difference in standard handgun calibers by examining the wounds.

True someone can be incapacitated through blood loss, but it's usually too slow of a process to assure they are neutralized. Only a shot to the CNS is likely to neutralize instantly.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
The fact is that ballistically the .40 S&W and the .45 are almost identical. It was amazing that the government spent millions of dollars coming up with it.
It would be amazing, since the "government" did not come up with .40 S&W.

simmonsjoe

imported post

9mm rounds can get deflected clothing and ribs and such. They simply DO NOT have the velocity to overcome their light mass. A .45ACP will keep chugging in a straight line crushing everything in its path no matter how tough. Bone and tissue don't stand a chance. It has enough mass that it is very difficult to deflect its path.

If you use a .355 bullet you need to up the velocity in order to get anything useful
out of it. This means a 9mm para is out of the lineup. You would need a .357magnum or a .357 sig. pref. in 125grains

As for the speed of the round causing damage due to the shockwave there are no pistol rounds that are fast enough for this to be relevent(2600fps). It is an argument for rifles.

The magazine count issue. Most gunfights last about 4 seconds and 2 bullets.
Shot placement is the most important thing. (Innuits are known for hunting elk with 22 rimfire.) Make your shots count. USE A .45ACP

More rounds than 357mag, less expensive ammo than 357sig.

A side note, Cops are trained with hi cap guns, they shoot alot. They are loose with their ammo. THEY ARE 5 TIMES AS LIKELY TO SHOOT A BYSTANDER THAN A CHP HOLDER.
CHP holders usually carry small guns with limited ammo and therefor train to make every shot count. I'm not saying its the only reason but I think it must contribute.

download and read PDF from www.gunfacts.info for citations.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Consider this. Assuming you do not hit something really important, Shutting biological organisms down has a lot to do with blood loss. Making blood leak out has a lot to do with the size of the hole you make. You decide...
Please note that most 147grain 9mm is junk. The small added mass doesn't overcome the slower speed and rounds less than 120grain with +p loads will allow for less deflection in the body.

Case in fact the superior .357sig is 125grains.. Just like the best 357mag defensive rounds.

I would like to see a 9mm para necked down to .32. I think you could see 1,400FPS with a 100-110 grain round. Expansion would be almost guaranteed. It would be a drop in barrel replacement in most guns. (a la .400 cor-bon) I would trust my life to that before a 9mm para.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Please note that most 147grain 9mm is junk.  The small added mass doesn't overcome the slower speed and rounds less than 120grain with +p loads will allow for less deflection in the body.

Case in fact the superior .357sig is 125grains.. Just like the best 357mag defensive rounds.

I would like to see a 9mm para necked down to .32.  I think you could see 1,400FPS with a 100-110 grain round.  Expansion would be almost guaranteed.  It would be a drop in barrel replacement in most guns. (a la .400 cor-bon)  I would trust my life to that before a 9mm para.

Part of this argument would make sense if the 9mm was not typically loaded to around 1100 FPS, using nominally 115 grain bullets. The .45 is typically loaded to around 850 FPS, using a 230 grain bullet. Now when you get into performance bullets for either of these they tend to get lighter, but the manufacturers keep the pressures the same so they are faster. In fact some of the newer .45 loads include +P loads that push the pressures up and allow for speeds above 1100 FPS, using 185 grain bullets.

So when you say that a 9mm bullet has to be pushed to higher speeds to work well that is correct as far as it goes. Where you lose me is when you imply that the .45 is somehow faster than the 9mm when it clearly is not. There is some truth to the inertia argument, but pushing the 9mm faster will not improve its track through meat and bone.

The .45 was designed to replace older designs that were typically loaded with black powder. Principally the .45 long colt . This was necessary because the targets were getting harder to stop. There are reasons that most handgun ammo has settled into the .35 to .45 caliber size range, and not all of them have to do with what fits in a handgun sized package. Despite the claims in this thread that the difference between .40 and .45 are not important or significant, it should be noted that the main competitor for dominance at the time the .45 ACP came along was the .41. The .45 won for a lot of reasons, but mostly because it made a bigger hole, and it left all its energy in the target, and the .41 did not because it over penetrated.

The fact is that most defensive shootings are settled by blood loss in the target, not instant stoppages. Rarely are people hit in areas vital enough to produce an instant shutdown. Assuming perfect shot placement, a big bullet will work just as well as a small one. If the aim is off just a little the larger bullet works best. Defensive shooting is not like taking elk. You do not have time to sit an take careful aim and choose the timing of your shot to produce the best effect. It is a frantic, disturbing, measured, rapid, event, that depends on muscle memory and trained responses to be successful. Bigger holes make for better results.

Regards

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

simmonsjoe

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Please note that most 147grain 9mm is junk. The small added mass doesn't overcome the slower speed and rounds less than 120grain with +p loads will allow for less deflection in the body.

I would like to see a 9mm para necked down to .32. I think you could see 1,400FPS with a 100-110 grain round. Expansion would be almost guaranteed. It would be a drop in barrel replacement in most guns. (a la .400 cor-bon) I would trust my life to that before a 9mm para.

Part of this argument would make sense if the 9mm was not typically loaded to around 1100 FPS, using nominally 115 grain bullets. The .45 is typically loaded to around 850 FPS, using a 230 grain bullet. Now when you get into performance bullets for either of these they tend to get lighter, but the manufacturers keep the pressures the same so they are faster. In fact some of the newer .45 loads include +P loads that push the pressures up and allow for speeds above 1100 FPS, using 185 grain bullets.

So when you say that a 9mm bullet has to be pushed to higher speeds to work well that is correct as far as it goes. Where you lose me is when you imply that the .45 is somehow faster than the 9mm when it clearly is not. There is some truth to the inertia argument, but pushing the 9mm faster will not improve its track through meat and bone.

The .45 was designed to replace older designs that were typically loaded with black powder. Principally the .45 long colt . This was necessary because the targets were getting harder to stop. There are reasons that most handgun ammo has settled into the .35 to .45 caliber size range, and not all of them have to do with what fits in a handgun sized package. Despite the claims in this thread that the difference between .40 and .45 are not important or significant, it should be noted that the main competitor for dominance at the time the .45 ACP came along was the .41. The .45 won for a lot of reasons, but mostly because it made a bigger hole, and it left all its energy in the target, and the .41 did not because it over penetrated.

The fact is that most defensive shootings are settled by blood loss in the target, not instant stoppages. Rarely are people hit in areas vital enough to produce an instant shutdown. Assuming perfect shot placement, a big bullet will work just as well as a small one. If the aim is off just a little the larger bullet works best. Defensive shooting is not like taking elk. You do not have time to sit an take careful aim and choose the timing of your shot to produce the best effect. It is a frantic, disturbing, measured, rapid, event, that depends on muscle memory and trained responses to be successful. Bigger holes make for better results.

Regards
That is exactly the point! The .45 ACP has enough mass to OVERCOME its slow velocity.
(think, it is harder to turn a big old clunker than a plastic KIA away from its path.) However if the KIA is going fast enough it can overcome its lesser mass.

Also make no mistake my argument SUPPORTS .45 ACP and that is what I carry.
My argument NOES NOT SUPPORT Using a 9mm Para and I gave evidence as to why
the 9mm doesn't cut it.

As for the .41 and .44 mags over-penetrating, It is definitely a problem.
smaller magnums like the .357mag/sig and .327 fed mag are going fast enough to almost guarantee expansion but are light enough to stop before they over-penetrate.

But the whole reason I mentioned them was because part of the 9mm v 45 argument is magazine capacity and price of ammo so I thought I should go into detail on it.

I agree with your summary of the situation.

I don't understand what part of my posts makes you think I said the .45ACP is faster.

EDIT-- I see what you are saying. I called the sig a superior round. I was talking as evidence against the 147g 9mm, not any other rounds. I mention this because the picture that is supposed to be attached to my quote shows a 147g 9mm in the lineup. See post above that for my argument on the 9mm v .45 issue

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
The fact is that ballistically the .40 S&W and the .45 are almost identical. It was amazing that the government spent millions of dollars coming up with it.
It would be amazing, since the "government" did not come up with .40 S&W.

The FBI and S&W would disagree.
No they wouldn't. Smith and Wesson and Winchester came up with the round, which is basically a short version of the 10mm-- another round adopted, although not developed by the FBI. The FBI may have evaluated the round , just as they test many rounds-- but the government did not "come up" with the round.