• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

In Ohio can my gun be cocked and loaded and ...

jtallen1190

imported post

In Ohio can my gun be cocked and loaded and can I carry my extra mags and mag pouch?This might seem like a dumb question but in California I dont think you can carry like that and I am new to this but believe in this right and am going to start exercising it.I just dont think its going to do much with no ammo. If it is not cocked and at the ready You might not have time to cock it depending on the circumstances. Thank you and God Bless. I didnt see any limitations in Ohio though so I think that is Acceptable Just making sure.

propertymanager

imported post

Yes, in Ohio you can carry your handgun loaded with one in the chamber. It wouldn't be of much use otherwise. You can also carry an extra magazine in a magazine pouch. It's legal, but once again, if you look like you're armed to the teeth, you're more likely to be stopped by the police. In addition, I've found from carryingthese past 5 years that there's only so much you can carry on your belt. My personal solution is to carry a full size Glock 22(16 rounds of .40). I carry two extra loaded magazines in my truck, but only wear an extra magazine if I have reason to be concerned about my surroundings or situation.

I'm sure that you know that you can't open carry in a vehicle (or even have a loaded gun in your vehicle) without having your concealed carry license. For that reason alone, I would strongly suggest that you take the training and get your license. In addition, many of the same laws (about where you can and can't carry) apply to both concealed carry and open carry in Ohio. Finally, there may be times that concealed carry would be more appropriate or desireable and being able to do both is a plus.

jtallen1190

imported post

propertymanager wrote:
Yes, in Ohio you can carry your handgun loaded with one in the chamber. It wouldn't be of much use otherwise. You can also carry an extra magazine in a magazine pouch. It's legal, but once again, if you look like you're armed to the teeth, you're more likely to be stopped by the police. In addition, I've found from carryingthese past 5 years that there's only so much you can carry on your belt. My personal solution is to carry a full size Glock 22 (16 rounds of .40). I carry two extra loaded magazines in my truck, but only wear an extra magazine if I have reason to be concerned about my surroundings or situation.

I'm sure that you know that you can't open carry in a vehicle (or even have a loaded gun in your vehicle) without having your concealed carry license. For that reason alone, I would strongly suggest that you take the training and get your license. In addition, many of the same laws (about where you can and can't carry) apply to both concealed carry and open carry in Ohio. Finally, there may be times that concealed carry would be more appropriate or desireable and being able to do both is a plus.
Thanks Property Manager Once againYou seem to have all the answers I have needed and thank you for informing a new open carrier of the rules and regulations.Iam going toOpen Carry and feel alot more comfortable knowing that I am doing it legally and In doing so standing up for civilians rights is important also. Thanks andGod bess

spioi

imported post

I carry mine loaded in my coat pocket. glock 39 in one and taurus pt145 in the other. no specifics on being in a holster except when in a vehicle.

jtallen1190

imported post

I will definitely take the class when I can afford to do so. Thank you so much and God Bless

jtallen1190

imported post

spioi wrote:
I carry mine loaded in my coat pocket. glock 39 in one and taurus pt145 in the other. no specifics on being in a holster except when in a vehicle.
Is this with your concealed carry or with Open Carry because I do not Have a CCW. I can Only Open Carry.

Mo.Co. Original

imported post

I open carry loaded, Revolver though, but whats the point of carrying if its not loaded right? So in my humble opinion, I would carry loaded, one in the chamber if semi auto, but be really careful, and use your safety, never draw it unless you really need to blah blah blah you know what im saying

jtallen1190

imported post

Mo.Co. Original wrote:
I open carry loaded, Revolver though, but whats the point of carrying if its not loaded right? So in my humble opinion, I would carry loaded, one in the chamber if semi auto, but be really careful, and use your safety, never draw it unless you really need to blah blah blah you know what im saying
I have a springfield xd 45 tactical, there is no realsafety switch but I have been around gunssince the age of 8 andam 23nowandalways treat them as if they were loaded even though mine always has one in the chamber and the real safety I feel comes withtaking precaution which I do exercise caution and would never draw it unless needed. I feel what you are saying completely. Thank you for taking the time to comment and God Bless

JSK333

imported post

Don't forget about the recent law change that says any firearm in a vehicle is considered loaded if there are any loaded magazines anywhere in the vehicle for the same firearm. Same goes for loaded speed loaders.

It doesn't matter in the mags are in the back of the car and the firearm is unloaded in a case on the front passenger floor, our law now views that as a loaded firearm.

This obviously makes OC'ing very difficult for those without CHLs, as you'll have to unload/load your mags each time you enter/exit your vehicle.

jtallen1190

imported post

JSK333 wrote:
Don't forget about the recent law change that says any firearm in a vehicle is considered loaded if there are any loaded magazines anywhere in the vehicle for the same firearm. Same goes for loaded speed loaders.

It doesn't matter in the mags are in the back of the car and the firearm is unloaded in a case on the front passenger floor, our law now views that as a loaded firearm.

This obviously makes OC'ing very difficult for those without CHLs, as you'll have to unload/load your mags each time you enter/exit your vehicle.
Thank you so much, I did not hear about that law. This is very good information. Thank you so much for letting me know that. I am glad there is a website that offers such information because I was having the hardest time finding out the truth Until I found this website. Thank you and God bless.

Deanimator

imported post

spioi wrote:
with OC I carry in a holster with mags in my pocket. you can not carry a firearm in your pocket with no CC permit.
Nor can you carry in your pocket without a holster while in a vehicle, WITH an Ohio CHL. A pocket holster meets the requirement.

Fehrmann69

imported post

Ohio Law is somewhat confusing in the transportation of a firearm in a vehicle. ORC 2923.16.B states 'No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle'.

This would indicate that if you have to leave your car, to get into your trunk, you would then be able to transport a loaded firearm in the trunk.

Yet ORC 2923.16.C states 'No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can only be reached by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for that purpose;

It appears that part B and part C conflict with each other, however if you have the firearm unloaded ( includes no ammo, in any clips, anywhere in the vehicle) and it is in a holster, and in plain view ( on the front seat, and not obstructed) you are allowed to open carry in a vehicle without a CCW Permit. Here's a link.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.16

bwfarrier513

imported post

i never could understand the ohio law that stated that it had to be unloaded and seperate in a car. when i lived in az it had to be in plain sight. states do crap like this just to agrivate people that want to carry legally and make it so they have to pay and take classes to get their permit and keep tabs on whos carrying. yet its not supposed to show up when they run ur tags that u have a ccw/chl it does which imo is profilin

cilcannonvryce

imported post

bwfarrier513 wrote:
i never could understand the ohio law that stated that it had to be unloaded and seperate in a car. when i lived in az it had to be in plain sight.  states do crap like this just to agrivate people that want to carry legally and make it so they have to pay and take classes to get their permit and keep tabs on whos carrying. yet its not supposed to show up when they run ur tags that u have a ccw/chl it does which imo is profilin

You said it. Its all big gov. at work. A bunch a crap that we can stand up against by oc'ing.
The car thing though. Really got no suggestions for that without a CCW.

bwfarrier513

imported post

i have so many LEO friends that have told me the bs that the legislature has done. like saying you can open carry but not allowing you to do so in a vehicle without unloading it and just about turning it in to iron ore again before you can drive or get a license. this basically makes it so you cant open carry without lots of hasle or pay for their permits, get in their system as a gun packer and give them any advantage possible