• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off topic: know any military historical websites to reference?

Ruckus

imported post

I’m trying to find some in depth stuff like specific units, companies, battalions, battles fought, etc. I’m also wondering if there are any rolls or databases that will have the names and units of Korean War veterans.

I’m trying to learn more about my uncle’s service in Korea. He doesn’t really talk about it much, but over the years I have obtained some info and a little more this recent holiday and would like to learn even more. I don’t really understand the whole division/regiment/battalion/company/unit/etc to know how to narrow down my searches to the smallest unit and after 50 plus years he doesn’t recall.

What I do know:

He was a paratrooper for the 187[sup]th[/sup] Airborne Regimental Combat Team (ARCT).
He served in Korean War and was stationed in Japan from 1949-1955.
He did two combat jumps in enemy territory during the Korean War.

Upon research I did tonight I called him and asked if he remembers a company letter like company a, b, c, hq, service, medic, etc and he could not. He responded by saying he was a forward observer with the artillery unit. I asked if there was another smaller unit number or letter he remembers, but he was really unsure and guessed “674, or 676, or something, artillery 3[sup]rd[/sup] battalion maybe”.

Some of the research I have discovered talks about specific battles and the 187[sup]th[/sup] Company C did this, or 187[sup]th[/sup] Company E was here and did that, and I’m just trying to whittle it down to be as uncle specific as I can and I’m not sure I have all the pieces to get me there and wouldn’t know it if I did.

I read one of the 187[sup]th[/sup] companies in Korea received the Navy Presidential Citation. Think I read Company ‘E’ or ‘C’. Then, I read on the first combat jump the 187[sup]th[/sup] Companies ‘A’ and ‘C’ were dropped on one hill and Company ‘B’ on another. I believe there were only two combat jumps by the 187[sup]th[/sup] in Korea and he did two combat jumps so I assume he must be 187th/Co A, B. or C. But, I am really confused trying to figure out the battalion/company/unit thing in comparison to what he remembers and would really like to find out. On the KIA list I see companies A - N for the 187th. But in my other findings I only see stuff written about Companies A-E. Did different companies within a regiment do entirely different things? If I read the 187th ARCT fought at Bloody Inje and the Battle of Wonju, does that mean the entire regiment did, or Co A, B, and C did, while E, F, and G were in Seoul, and while K, L, and M were in Pyonyang, while Co N and O were back in Japan?

I’d like to get him some replica items he may have worn on his uniform for Christmas since he mentioned looking around to buy 187[sup]th[/sup] – Korea patches and not finding any. I asked him if he kept any of that stuff (patches, ribbons, stars, etc) and he said when he was a young man he didn’t think to save and collect that kind of stuff.

So if anyone knows of any resources I can look into so that I might research these types of things, please pass it on. I would greatly appreciate it.

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

E Co. used to be the "go to" Platoons back in that era. 1/502nd E company was part of the market garden assualt. There may be some historical information at the Ft. Campbell website. 101st airbrone. All the companies were combat related however some platoons did in fact do different jobs in relation to combat arms Morter platoons, etc. A little known fact also is there is the HQ platoon which is hardly ever listed even today. If he was an FO he may have been attached to a totally different battalion. Although his base or home battalion may have been 187. He could have been attached to any number of fire support battalions. There are various military surplus stores that carry historical patches and other materials related to that era. You may want to ask if he remembers any actual battles. Hamburger hill and pork chop hill were significant for the 3rd/187.

Ruckus

imported post

Thanks for the link ISMOID. I've been there and signed up for the forum but it doesnt seem to get a lot of action there. I'll try a post anyway.

Thanks wardog6d. That's the kind of insight I lack to know where to search for specifics. To this point I have never asked him about battles as I've always been told he doesn't like talking about Korea and kind of felt such questions were like asking him how many Chinese he killed. But maybe I'll get some nerve and ask him.