• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Addresses Virginia Beach City Council (Sessoms, MAIG)

wylde007

imported post

I am sure that a VCDL Alert will be posted regarding this, but I wanted to post my thoughts and a few things that I personally noticed.

I attended this VERY BRIEF City Council session yesterday and was about five minutes late. The agenda had already been approved and they were entertaining a woman's comment about public services and development incentives in Pungo.

They opened the public comment period and three gentlemen rose to speak directly to Mr. Sessoms (Virginia Beach Mayor) regarding his recent membership in the Bloomberg-fronted MAIG (Mayors Against Illegal Guns). They informed him of Mayor Michael Bloomberg's New York gun-control agenda, ignoring of the TIART amendment and the nefarious "No-fly, No-buy" concept being pushed by so many anti-gun advocates.

I sat near the rear for the session and had the unique perspective of watching the two City police officers responsible for the "safety" of the public react to a room full of lawfully carrying citizens. At one point an older fellow was relating a story to the council about his wife's experience using her firearm to defend herself simply by showing it to the BG. He made the gesture of lifting a jacket and reaching towards his holstered weapon. Officer 1 kept his arms crossed and watched casually. Officer 2's interest visibly piqued and he dropped his folded arm stance to a "ready" until the man's hand was clear of his waistband. Sans weapon, of course.

Anyhow, for some reason (possibly because they saw the number of bright orange "Guns Save Lives" stickers?) they limited public comment to three (3) minutes each and only three speakers on any one topic. No one else had heard of the three-speakers-per-topic rule before. The only topic broached during the public comment period was Mayor Sessoms' membership in MAIG.

At least one councilman (Mr. DeSteph) expressed interest in the appeal from VCDL members and stayed after the session ended to talk briefly with the group. He promised that he would forward an inquiry regarding whether any City (public) funds had been spent towards the MAIG and if there had ever been a quorum or vote taken regarding such.

On my way out of the building a young EMT (a woman) who I believe was in attendance as another safety precaution (since all council sessions are open to the public) asked me about our "group". I was fresh out of OCDO open-carry cards, but I provided her with the URL for VCDL and she thanked me and said she would check it out.

Hopefully Mayor Sessoms will recognize the blatant intrusion of New York politics into VA because of the MAIG and resign his membership.

2a4all

imported post

We were unable to make it to this meeting, but we're glad to see that VCDL was well-represented.

At least one councilman (Mr. DeSteph) expressed interest in the appeal from VCDL members and stayed after the session ended to talk briefly with the group. He promised that he would forward an inquiry regarding whether any City (public) funds had been spent towards the MAIG and if there had ever been a quorum or vote taken regarding such.

This is certainly a lot more interest than has been shown at other City Council meetings. The only comment made at any of the meetings I've attended was that "...supported Hizzonner's support of MAIG...", or words to that effect. Perhaps we can make hay out of the "public funds" or quorumissues at future meetings.

Perhaps Councilman DeSteph is a chink in the armor.The withdrawal of themayor of the largest city in the Commonwealth from MAIG would speak volumes.