• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun legislation is showing up now

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

A prefiled bill just showed up. The first so far.
It's CHP related so it doesn't concern me, but it's interesting that this early, the bill is beneficial.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?101+sum+SB3

SB 3 Renewal of concealed handgun permits.
Ralph K. Smith | all patrons ... notes
| add to my profiles another bill? Log in LIS Home - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Bills & Resolutions Members Committees Meetings Calendars Communications Minutes Statistics Lobbyist-in-a-Box [line] Summary as introduced:
Renewal of concealed handgun permits. Allows a person who previously has been issued a Virginia concealed handgun permit to submit an application to renew the permit via the United States mail. Full text:
11/30/09 Senate: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/13/10 10100641D pdf

11/30/09 Senate: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/13/10 10100641D
11/30/09 Senate: Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice
[line]

wylde007

imported post

Where before one had to reapply in person at their local residency jurisdiction, yes?

I wish McDonnell and the new crop would just go Alaska/Vermont (read: 100% Constitutional carry) and abolish the illegal laws on the books.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm actually surprised to see this. When I applied for my CHP the first time I did everything by mail, so I'd have never thought of having to appear in person for a renewal. Interesting....

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

jmelvin wrote:
I'm actually surprised to see this. When I applied for my CHP the first time I did everything by mail, so I'd have never thought of having to appear in person for a renewal. Interesting....
My guess is that some localities require reapplication in person. Small things like this cause problems.

I found yesterday that some localities will not do a change of address and some FFL's won't accept a CHP with an old address for multi handgun purchases or as secondary ID.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I just spoke to Smith's assistant.
The bill was introduced at the NRA's request because some localities do not accept mail reapplications. It seems that if it is not spelled out in the statute, some places won't do it.
He didn't know which places were a problem off the top of his head.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The LynchburgClerk of the Circuit Court Officeshould be given a gold star for its efforts in processing CHP applications as they have been nothing but helpful in processing my and my wife's CHP even so much as overnighting a new CHP to my wife when it was discovered that they had goofed the address when she moved in with me when we got married. We didn't ask for the overnight processing, they just did it and sent a self addressed stamped envelope for the wife to send back to themthe CHP copy with the wrong address. Good folks in that office, they are.

I've also run into FFL's who wouldn't take a valid CHP with a mis-matching address as a second form of identification.

Mt Vernon .40

imported post

jmelvin wrote:
... I've also run into FFL's who wouldn't take a valid CHP with a mis-matching address as a second form of identification ...
Why should they?

See following excerpt from the VSP Firearms Transaction Program webpage:

The secondary form of identification, for Virginia residents and residents of other states, must show an address identical to that shown on the primary form of identification.

2a4all

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Renewal of concealed handgun permits. Allows a person who previously has been issued a Virginia concealed handgun permit to submit an application to renew the permit via the United States mail.
[line]

As well thay should. Folks who don't live hereapply for and getnon-resident CHPs via the US Postal Service. If we're to insist that people who wish to CC have a CHP, shouldn't we residents be accorded the same courtesy?

CHPs are kind of silly, as they allow people, who can walk around with guns you can see,to walk around with guns that nobody can see. LEO to OCing citizen: "I see you are carrying a gun. Have a nice day." LEO to (possibly) CCing citizen: "Have a nice day."

I agree with wylde007. Let'sadopt Vermont's attitude.

TFred

imported post

Here is the link that brings up all the bills that have been introduced:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?101+lst+ALL

I think we are going to get some really good bills this year, let's hope we can get most of them through to the Governor's signature!

There are still not many on the list yet.

Another interesting one is HJ 6, which is a constitutional amendment to allow the General Assembly (in addition to the Governor) to restore the civil rights of a non-violent felon.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TFred wrote:
Here is the link that brings up all the bills that have been introduced:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?101+lst+ALL

I think we are going to get some really good bills this year, let's hope we can get most of them through to the Governor's signature!

There are still not many on the list yet.

Another interesting one is HJ 6, which is a constitutional amendment to allow the General Assembly (in addition to the Governor) to restore the civil rights of a non-violent felon.

TFred
I also have a tracking section on my Politics page, Fred. It will be limited to relevant subjects to Old Va, but should cover all gun related bills.

http://news.oldva.org/politics-0910/

Virginian683

imported post

I wonder what the chances are of getting them to make this a genuine concealed weapons permit, instead of just a concealed handgun permit? Can somebody explain the logic behind being able to conceal a handgun, but being hauled to jail for concealing a knife? (Or heaven forbid, nunchucks!)

Also, I'm curious just how many police officers (as well as other innocent people) have been killed by ultra super deadly Striker 12 shotguns in Virginia. (§ 18.2-308.8)

Also, can I please get a list of all the people killed in Virginia by lawfully present, non-immigrant aliens wielding "assault firearms?" Even one person? (§ 18.2-308.2:01)

Also, could I please get a list of all the people in Virginia mowed down by machine gun fire? (§ 18.2-295)

And could I please get a list of all the people assaulted or killed by regular pocket knives along with an explanation of how making it illegal to possess switchblades saved them or reduced their injuries? (§ 18.2-311) Can I please see a list of the people assaulted by "throwing stars?"

Meanwhile thousands of people are killed every year in this commonwealth by automobiles....funny nobody has suggested banning them.

There are a lot of plain BS laws on the books in Virginia in regard to weapons -- and not just guns. Let's hope the General Assembly sees fit to repeal/correct these pieces of "anti" legislation which are a disgrace to this commonwealth.(Well, I guess I can dream.)

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Virginian683 wrote:
I wonder what the chances are of getting them to make this a genuine concealed weapons permit, instead of just a concealed handgun permit? Can somebody explain the logic behind being able to conceal a handgun, but being hauled to jail for concealing a knife? (Or heaven forbid, nunchucks!)

I understand your question, but do you have a burning desire to carry Chinese throwing stars or nunchucks?

kennys

imported post

Unless they have changed it in Hanover you can apply for your chp through the mail and renew the same way.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Virginian683 wrote:

I understand your question, but do you have a burning desire to carry Chinese throwing stars or nunchucks?
Actually, that would be a giant step backwards. When I first got a permit it was a CWP.
I fought along with other pro gun people, for years, to get "shall Issue". When it finally passed, it was for a handgun.

So ask yourself,
Would you rather have "May issue" CWP
or
"Shall issue" CHP.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

kennys wrote:
Unless they have changed it in Hanover you can apply for your chp through the mail and renew the same way.
Most places are like that Kenny. These are a few isolated venues.

kennys

imported post

peter nap wrote:
kennys wrote:
Most places are like that Kenny. These are a few isolated venues.
Ok I did not know this, back when I tookthe classto get my CHP, the NRA instructor seemed not to know this either as he tried to tell me I couldn't do it that way in Hanover.

darthmord

imported post

peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Virginian683 wrote:

Actually, that would be a giant step backwards. When I first got a permit it was a CWP.
I fought along with other pro gun people, for years, to get "shall Issue". When it finally passed, it was for a handgun.

So ask yourself,
or
"Shall issue" CHP.
Could always go for having both as available options. If you want a CHP, it's 'shall issue'. If you want a generic CWP for weapons other than firearms, it's 'may issue'. Then in a couple of years, lobby it to change to 'shall issue' and voila! done.

kennys

imported post

darthmord wrote:
peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Virginian683 wrote:

So ask yourself,
or
"Shall issue" CHP.
Could always go for having both as available options. If you want a CHP, it's 'shall issue'. If you want a generic CWP for weapons other than firearms, it's 'may issue'. Then in a couple of years, lobby it to change to 'shall issue' and voila! done.
Sounds like endorsements on a CDL to me....the way the Hazz Matt background checks were added on and have to be renewed, you would think with one of them you wouldn't need any other permits for weapons. Some of those loads could do far more damage at a larger radius than 100 gun owners at a central point,all with full auto's.

kennys

imported post

I know there are down falls to this but I am waiting to hear them. What if they had an all over security card? It would not signify either that you are even a gun owner. On a voluntary basis you would go down, have a back ground check done and have issued a class A, B, C, or what ever card you qualify for depending on the degree of back ground check you choose. Top class would consist of a high level security clearance, automatic weapons and some of the many other items a high level back ground check would be used for. If you don’t need all the frills a basic card, covers standard things a regular back round check would as working on government and state projects concealed weapons and so forth just as some example. If you go for employment all an employer would have to do if he required a check would be swipe your card, either it is valid or it isn’t no other explanations as reasons would be covered under privacy. Seems to be it would be very beneficial to companies that have their employees doing many back ground checks in a year because of differing jobs. As well it would be voluntary and you could choose not to use the system if you wanted.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

kennys wrote:
I know there are down falls to this but I am waiting to hear them. What if they had an all over security card? It would not signify either that you are even a gun owner. On a voluntary basis you would go down, have a back ground check done and have issued a class A, B, C, or what ever card you qualify for depending on the degree of back ground check you choose. Top class would consist of a high level security clearance, automatic weapons and some of the many other items a high level back ground check would be used for. If you don’t need all the frills a basic card, covers standard things a regular back round check would as working on government and state projects concealed weapons and so forth just as some example. If you go for employment all an employer would have to do if he required a check would be swipe your card, either it is valid or it isn’t no other explanations as reasons would be covered under privacy. Seems to be it would be very beneficial to companies that have their employees doing many back ground checks in a year because of differing jobs. As well it would be voluntary and you could choose not to use the system if you wanted.
That just takes the permit state concept to the extreme end Kenny.
Lots worse than the perks for permits system I keep fighting.

I refuse to have security checks to live in and carry a weapon in my own country. As we get closer to that, I just get more reclusive and thankfully, older and less time to live under those conditions.