• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun legislation is showing up now

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

darthmord wrote:
peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Virginian683 wrote:
I wonder what the chances are of getting them to make this a genuine concealed weapons permit, instead of just a concealed handgun permit? Can somebody explain the logic behind being able to conceal a handgun, but being hauled to jail for concealing a knife? (Or heaven forbid, nunchucks!)

I understand your question, but do you have a burning desire to carry Chinese throwing stars or nunchucks?
Actually, that would be a giant step backwards. When I first got a permit it was a CWP.
I fought along with other pro gun people, for years, to get "shall Issue". When it finally passed, it was for a handgun.

So ask yourself,
Would you rather have "May issue" CWP
or
"Shall issue" CHP.
Could always go for having both as available options. If you want a CHP, it's 'shall issue'. If you want a generic CWP for weapons other than firearms, it's 'may issue'. Then in a couple of years, lobby it to change to 'shall issue' and voila! done.

Ahh I can see it now, Proactive Shooters' Basic Chinese Throwing Star safety class! I think there's money to be made there! :)

kennys

imported post

I was just figuring while not mandatory, it could make things easier rather than have to get a background check every couple weeks or months due to a company that changes job sites often, do to finished construction. I figured the perk to it was if you had one for the jobsyou wouldn't need it for anything else Via know one would have record other than it is for work purpose. Now I didn't mean this as a permit, just a background card that has some perks. This being a volunteer thing with some benefits. As it would as well benefit non gun owners there would be no distinguishing between the two and what they are using it for.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
darthmord wrote:
peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Virginian683 wrote:
I wonder what the chances are of getting them to make this a genuine concealed weapons permit, instead of just a concealed handgun permit? Can somebody explain the logic behind being able to conceal a handgun, but being hauled to jail for concealing a knife? (Or heaven forbid, nunchucks!)

I understand your question, but do you have a burning desire to carry Chinese throwing stars or nunchucks?
Actually, that would be a giant step backwards. When I first got a permit it was a CWP.
I fought along with other pro gun people, for years, to get "shall Issue". When it finally passed, it was for a handgun.

So ask yourself,
or
"Shall issue" CHP.
Could always go for having both as available options. If you want a CHP, it's 'shall issue'. If you want a generic CWP for weapons other than firearms, it's 'may issue'. Then in a couple of years, lobby it to change to 'shall issue' and voila! done.

Ahh I can see it now, Proactive Shooters' Basic Chinese Throwing Star safety class! I think there's money to be made there! :)
Or Proactive "SLUNG SHOT" class.:lol:
Bet most members of the GA don't even know what a slung shot i...or for that matter...most cops,

ProShooter

imported post

peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
darthmord wrote:
peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Virginian683 wrote:

So ask yourself,
or
"Shall issue" CHP.

Or Proactive "SLUNG SHOT" class.:lol:
Bet most members of the GA don't even know what a slung shot i...or for that matter...most cops,
Yeah you got me on that one!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Sailors used to make them. It's a length of rope with a monkeys fist knot tied on the end.

Hurts like the devil. Sometimes they put weights in the knot tor a better ballistic coefficient :lol:

Why is that still on the books?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I get your point. :)

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Yata hey
The Story about how they got on the list is a tribute to activism.
Some soccer mom found out the kids were carrying them and that they were legal. She went out and bought a case of them and mailed one to every member of the GA...wit a long letter about how deadly they were and anyone could buy one without a permit..Yadda, Yadda, Yadda.

I guess the Shuriken Defense League was asleep that year.

ProShooter

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
darthmord wrote:
peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Virginian683 wrote:
If you offer advanced straight razor safety classes, I'm in.
I think that's covered in Barber college!
From our visages, you can tell that neither Don, Grapeshot nor I ever got within a block of Barber College. For us, straight razor safety classes would entail additional ways to avoid them.

"... Got a .32 gun in his pocket for fun, and a straight razor in his shoe.":what: Me and Leroy Brown. :lol:

stay safe.

skidmark

Virginian683

imported post

peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Virginian683 wrote:

So ask yourself,
or
"Shall issue" CHP.
I think you guys are missing my point. I believe most states -- Florida for example -- issue a permit that simply exempts the bearer from the entire concealed weapons statute. It's not just for handguns. Why did the legislature need to make "shall issue" just for handguns only? I mean they were OK with the idea of people carrying concealed handguns, but scared to death people might carry "throwing stars?" :?

Why shoudn't I be able to carry nunchucks?

I already have been cleared by the state to carry a concealed handgun -- which is a lethal tool. But I can't carry a spring-loaded baton which is at least a "less lethal" tool?

I feel I should have the option of carrying a concealed baton or dagger if I don't want to carry a handgun. It only makes sense. I mean you can carry a loaded firearm but you can't carry any knife with a double edged blade because odds are it's "of like kind" to a "dagger," "dirk" or "stiletto" -- even if it's only a 1 inch blade. (Contrary to popular belief blade length is irrelevant in VA except on school property.) I don't see the logic there.

Virginian683

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Yata hey
Some soccer mom found out the kids were carrying them and that they were legal. She went out and bought a case of them and mailed one to every member of the GA...wit a long letter about how deadly they were and anyone could buy one without a permit..Yadda, Yadda, Yadda.

Interesting....You wouldn't happen to know the story behind the Striker 12 "street sweeper" shotgun panic would you? What's interesting is if you read the statue that makes them illegal, with the way it's worded basically you could build a shotgun that's an exact copy of it except holding 11 shells instead of 12 and it would be legal. :cool: God lawmakers are stupid.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Virginian683 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Yata hey

Interesting....You wouldn't happen to know the story behind the Stryker 12 "street sweeper" shotgun panic would you? What's interesting is if you read the statue that makes them illegal, with the way it's worded basically you could build a shotgun that's an exact copy of it except holding 11 shells instead of 12 and it would be legal. :cool: God lawmakers are stupid.
I don't remember any specific trigger for that. I think it was just introduced as one of those weapons that was just too deadly to own. Most likely requested by a Police Chief somewhere.

A good example is the butterfly knife. This i a little silly because what was put on the list is not what they wanted restricted.

A police Chief in Virgil Goode's neighborhood, had a local bada$$ who carried a Butterfly Sword under his coat. The locals tried to charge him and the judge threw it out. Goode and Reynolds (If memory serves me) introduced the bill. I caught up with both of them in between committee meetings and showed them a butterfly knife, a butterfly sword and a leatherman. I couldn't convince either that what they were asking for wasn't what they wanted.

simmonsjoe

imported post

peter nap wrote:
jmelvin wrote:
I'm actually surprised to see this. When I applied for my CHP the first time I did everything by mail, so I'd have never thought of having to appear in person for a renewal. Interesting....
My guess is that some localities require reapplication in person. Small things like this cause problems.

I found yesterday that some localities will not do a change of address and some FFL's won't accept a CHP with an old address for multi handgun purchases or as secondary ID.
Isn't a CHP with wrong(old) address invalid??

simmonsjoe

imported post

Virginian683 wrote:

Also, I'm curious just how many police officers (as well as other innocent people) have been killed by ultra super deadly Striker 12 shotguns in Virginia. (§ 18.2-308.8)

Also, can I please get a list of all the people killed in Virginia by lawfully present, non-immigrant aliens wielding "assault firearms?" Even one person? (§ 18.2-308.2:01)

Also, could I please get a list of all the people in Virginia mowed down by machine gun fire? (§ 18.2-295)

And could I please get a list of all the people assaulted or killed by regular pocket knives along with an explanation of how making it illegal to possess switchblades saved them or reduced their injuries? (§ 18.2-311) Can I please see a list of the people assaulted by "throwing stars?"

Meanwhile thousands of people are killed every year in this commonwealth by automobiles....funny nobody has suggested banning them.

There are a lot of plain BS laws on the books in Virginia in regard to weapons -- and not just guns. Let's hope the General Assembly sees fit to repeal/correct these pieces of "anti" legislation which are a disgrace to this commonwealth.(Well, I guess I can dream.)
Even if you changed to a CWP it wouldn't change anything. Why? Because all of those weapons are ILLEGAL anyways. I agree we need to get many of those 'weapons' re-legalized (is that a word?). I would like to be able to carry my certified badass MICROTECH OD SCARAB outside of the house(Its an OTF). (They are only illegal to sell, not possess, yet having a single one is de facto intent to sell. WTF?

nova

imported post

peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Virginian683 wrote:

So ask yourself,
or
"Shall issue" CHP.
How about a Shall Issue CWP?

And it wouldn't be because I want to conceal nunchucks, how about being able to keep a loaded rifle or shotgun (aka, "trunk gun") in your vehicle while you're driving? Most vehicles have folding rear seats that allow access to the trunk, or SUVs or pickups that don't have a place passengers can't access.

simmonsjoe

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Yata hey

I would MUCH rather have some fool hood rat try and attack me with a shuriken than most other weapons I can think of.