• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Retention Holsters for Glock 19

Michigander

imported post

Can't go wrong with a Serpa.

But the other solid option is Safariland. They tend to cost 50-100% more, but I consider the price to be worth it. They are felt lined, so the guns finish won't be marred. And they tend to be significantly more secure, but in some cases slower on the draw.

I primarily carry with a Fine Tac Safariland 6280. The only downside is if you want to CC, it's a terrible choice, because it sticks way out. Some other safariland holsters don't have that problem.

gunbelt.jpg

If I'm not in a situation where I think I need retention, I just flip the hood down, which is something I've seen cops who use the same holster do while patrolling. But if I want lots of retention, I can flip the hood up and use the double locking feature called the Senty to make it even more secure. And most passers by that see the holster will merely think the rotating hood is a cross strap. The only downside is that even with tons of practice, it takes about a half second longer to draw from than a Serpa if you have the hood engaged.

EM87

imported post

TylerJ87 wrote:
I had a previous thread about the Blackhawk SERPA holster but would like to see what other options are out there

What purpose do you want the holster to serve? OC? CC? Both, depending on weather?

TylerJ87

imported post

Well right now my only holster is an IWB Galco Skyops which is pretty nice but can't use for OC and I don't have my CPL yet

any advice on either OC or CC holsters for the Glock 19 would be appreciated

Glock 19

imported post

TylerJ87 wrote:
Well right now my only holster is an IWB Galco Skyops which is pretty nice but can't use for OC and I don't have my CPL yet

any advice on either OC or CC holsters for the Glock 19 would be appreciated

I have a UNCLE MIKE'S LAW ENFORCEMENT OPEN TOP KYDEX HOLSTER for my G19

bought at gander mt. $24.99 retains around triger dont have worry of it falling out

Michigander

imported post

TylerJ87 wrote:
If you are worried about it being "concealed" tuck it between your belt and pants rather than just inside your pants.

Bronson

imported post

My first choice for my 1911 was the same model of Safariland holster that Michigander recommended. They are built like tanks and I would never hesitate to recommend them. Unfortunately it didn't work out for me because my short thumbs couldn't reliably move the retention hood far enough to facilitate a clean draw, so I ended up with my second choice of the Serpa. In the Safariland I liked their SXT finish (it's realy just an outer shell of Kydex). The stuff is tough as nails and doesn't get all dinged up and raggedy looking like the leather shelled holsters.

I also looked at the Bianchi FingerLok system. I didn't really like the way it released, it was too easy to miss the little tab while obtaining a firing grip, but other folks may like it. It also got some pretty mixed reviews out on the web in regards to stoutness of the locking mechanism.

I've just run a new gun through over 200 rounds of flawless shooting with a mix of FMJ and my SD ammo and I'mplanning on going back to basics with this one and am drawing up a pattern for a leather holster with a thumbreak that will use unidirectional snaps.

OWB leather or ballistic nylon thumbreak holsters are readily available for most any gun and you can almost buy them at the corner gas station for any model of Glock:D

Bronson